PDA

View Full Version : single zone climate control

svpworld
05-11-09, 09:15 PM
I have the Exclusiv with single zone climate control. I notice when you press Auto mode, you dont have any control over the air direction (feet, face etc) so I assume this gets controlled somehow automatically. I read somewhere about a sun sensor and wondered if the single zone system has the sun sensor in the blobby bit on the front dash centre, or is that just on the elite? Anyone figured out how the auto mode works and are there any hidden options?

Simon

thermalactivity
05-11-09, 09:51 PM
i thought auto mode was just that - auto? as in it keeps the whole of the cars interior "climate" the same temperature by constantly monitoring it and then blowing hot or cold air into the whole cabin to adjust it :confused:

sofuse
06-11-09, 09:24 AM
In the Auto mode, ideally, you should have all of the dash vents open and the ones in the rear so that the system can direct the air as required.

You can adjust the maximum fan speed in the comfort settings, but generally you just press Auto and forget it.

In my Exclusiv using the heating in manual mode, there seems to be a huge temperature difference between "Hi" and the next setting down, 27. Has anyone else noticed this?

svpworld
06-11-09, 04:12 PM
Here is what I have figured out. First in answer to sofuse's remark on the Hi setting, yes this is expected since Hi does not regulate the temperature but simply provides the maximum heat available. Anything below that setting such as 27 deg C will regulate the cabin temperature by monitoring it and then adjusting the fan speed accordingly. From what I gather, if you do NOT use the auto mode, it still regulates the temperature in the cabin by measuring it and then adjusting the heat flow (i.e. the old cold-hot temperature setting) but if the air con is turned off it can only rely on the cold air from outside for cooling. You can also select combinations of footwell, face vents and windscreen vents. By turning on the air con you provide additional cooling to the 'cool air' coming in from outside, so the system is able to provide additional control over steadying the tempature inside - especially if the outside temperature is warm. You also get the benefit with air con on of dehumidifying the air which is excellent if its raining and the car mists up.

So... as for Auto, I assume this additionally controls the fan speed (according to the setting you provide in the config vehicle settings menu in the infotainment unit). However on my car the switches for the air direction are disabled so you cannot choose footwell, main vents or windscreen in auto mode. I remember on the vectra and other cars with climate control there was a 'sun sensor' similar to the light sensor and alarm LED thingy on the dash. I assumed this detected (when in auto mode) the sun shining in to the car and adjusted the ventilation direction accordingly... but that might be only on the elite?

Simon

svpworld
10-11-09, 05:46 PM
Tried the heating in auto mode today - seemed to take longer to warm up and I couldnt detect where the air was coming from, but it very gently heated the car to the set temperature without blowing warm air on my face. I assume the air con isnt on (as the LED would indicate) all the time but disengages unless needed? Just wondering whether I should leave it in auto mode?

Powerod
11-11-09, 12:47 AM
The 'sun sensor' is a standard feature on the Elite models as it is has the heat reflective front windscreen (page 44 on the 2010 edition 1 Insignia brochure.)
I believe this option is not available to the other models.

Sportstourer
11-11-09, 12:17 PM
Yes that does seem to be correct.