PDA

View Full Version : run in period

Fabos
07-11-09, 05:45 PM
Hi

Ive never owned a new car before and remember stories when I was younger about having to drive a new car under 30000 rpm and not going over 50 mph (might be a slight exageration).

I heard that vauxhall don't give any instructions/advice in the manual about run in, so I had a little look on the world wide webage. There seem to be conflicting oponions out there, some say drive like your 85 and it's Sunday and some say the opposite. Take a look at the link, does this seem like good advise? http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I want to run in the 1.6 best I can when it arrives, but now I'm a little confused:confused:

2.0 vectra
07-11-09, 07:17 PM
the general rule for running in engines whether they are new or rebuilt is to generally avoid overworking the engine , in other words don't flog the nuts out of it & also don't labour it up hills in fifth at 40 mph when 4th or 3rd might be better , think of putting the least stress on the engine ;)

sofuse
07-11-09, 08:38 PM
For my 1.8 Exclusiv, I tended to avoid using 6th gear for a few hundred miles. Even now at about 8000 miles I still really only use this gear on motorways.

Vectra-Arctic
07-11-09, 08:45 PM
Think redline is 6.5k. 30000 rpm as in 30k. Ok you made a typo but 30k is scary. Warp speed !

Use the gearbox and don't let the engine struggle.

Fabos
07-11-09, 08:52 PM
Silly me!!!! 3000rpm not 30,000rpm.

2.0 vectra
07-11-09, 08:56 PM
lol

cerbera147
08-11-09, 09:15 AM
I spoke with Service Manager at the dealership about the run in period. He basically told me run in periods are a thing of the past. Car technology today means you can just get in and drive. Clearly common sense is required :D

cameron66
08-11-09, 01:19 PM
I spoke with Service Manager at the dealership about the run in period. He basically told me run in periods are a thing of the past. Car technology today means you can just get in and drive. Clearly common sense is required :D

Very true.. however I think most people who own their new car will be inclined to take it easy for the first 500/1k miles, if only for peace of mind.

Having owned a few brand new VX cars, I always found that they tended to use a little oil until they had clocked the first 5k/10k miles. This was very noticable on my vectra 150 when I bought it new. It's due to the fact that cylinder bores are that well honed and polished these days that it takes much longer for the piston rings to start to seal. So dont be alarmed if it seems to use a little more oil for the first few thousand miles.

IOW there is far less friction in new engines, but I personally am still inclined to go easy for the first 1k miles.

In reality of course the car may have already have been driven at 100mph in 4th gear by some xxxxxxxx delivering it...lol