PDA

View Full Version : Shedding plastic wheel caps?

Sportstourer
14-11-09, 10:09 AM
My 18 inch standard 13 spoke Elite wheel have started shedding their plastic wheel caps!

At first it was 1 standard cap from both a front and a rear offside wheel.

So I bought some new ones - they come in packs of 5 at a cost of £21.22 including VAT. After only a few miles I had lost 2 more standard caps from the offside rear.

Some seem to fit quite loosely, others seem to fit better. The different caps on the locking wheel nuts have a better fit.

I'm sure they haven't been stolen.

I found 1 at the bottom of my long drive.

Do they come off while cornering? Turning into my drive is a slow righthander with a small bump.

Is the wind blowing them off while the car is parked and the rainwater taking them down the drive?

Who knows?

I am putting tape on the inside of each cap to make them a firmer fit.

Has anybody else had this problem?

What is the solution?

Vectra-Arctic
14-11-09, 10:56 AM
Bluetack ?

Sportstourer
14-11-09, 11:44 AM
So far, I've put thin Whickes double-sided flooring tape on the inside of each cap, but kept the peel off layer on so it doesn't stick to the wheel nut.

It is a painstaking process as you have to cut 6 little strips for each cap. I tried putting a single piece round the inside but it is more difficult to get it to stick and stay in line.

It seems to provide a better fit and the caps "click" into place. Meanwhile Paul at my extremely competent and friendly local Vauxhall Service dealer is looking for a solution.

cameron66
14-11-09, 12:15 PM
My 18 inch standard 13 spoke Elite wheel have started shedding their plastic wheel caps!

So I bought some new ones - they come in packs of 5 at a cost of £21.22 including VAT. After only a few miles I had lost 2 more standard caps from the offside rear.

Some seem to fit quite loosely, others seem to fit better. The different caps on the locking wheel nuts have a better fit.

Do they come off while cornering? Turning into my drive is a slow righthander with a small bump.

Is the wind blowing them off while the car is parked and the rainwater taking them down the drive?

Who knows?

What is the solution?

I have a pack of 20 new genuine GM VX Insignia wheel Nut caps here which I bought as spares for my Insignia if anyone interested.
22m x approx 20mm long. Finished is Dark Grey. See Pic. Note. They are only for the wheel nuts, I dont have any for the locking nuts which are round. They have to ordered separately.

PM me if anyone interested Just a tenna free postage seeing as I dont need them.

Sportstourer
14-11-09, 01:09 PM
I hope, after now having taken precautions, that I won't need any more than the 2 spares I have already got!

kevinfourlegs
14-11-09, 02:33 PM
Never heard of this before. Seen plenty of plastic wheel trims fall off. Hopefully your bodge will keep your caps in place.

Amos
14-11-09, 03:07 PM
mine came off

Vectra-Arctic
14-11-09, 04:11 PM
What next for this troublesome car. :confused:

sofuse
14-11-09, 06:28 PM
I've lost 4 so far.

mitch1408
14-11-09, 06:43 PM
Not noticed any missing but will check tomorrow!

Needs a wash too if it ever stops raining!

Rockh
14-11-09, 09:04 PM
Not lost any so far, touch wood, will keep any eye on the rears since the wheels have been off this week. They did seem quite a snug fit when I tried to see if they were easy to get off without assistance but have seen a couple of cars at work minus a few, they were all later 59's rather than my early 09, wonder if they have changed something.

vectraman
14-11-09, 10:03 PM
lost 5 from my wheels so far, Ithought someone was nicking them to start with, till i seen how easy they come off

Amos
16-11-09, 06:06 AM
Lost another 2 on sunday

mitch1408
16-11-09, 11:11 AM
Checked mine this morning and they are all still in place :D

Only done 1800 miles though so suppose there is time yet!

Amos
16-11-09, 02:46 PM
I rang my dealer this morrning & asked if he could ring vx about it, his reply was your the only customer with this problem:confused:

Isn't it time you went & told the dealers about this,? If these are so loose, why should you have to fork out for more??:confused::confused:

Melbury
16-11-09, 02:55 PM
Also lost two! thought they were nicked

cameron66
16-11-09, 07:13 PM
Dont forget I have 20 of them here...

I actually never lost any caps on either of my Insignia's, but they always did seem a touch looser than I would have like them to be.

The reason I ordered those 20 new ones I have is because a few of the original caps started to get white-ish spots on them, which I discovered was caused by the wheel cleaner that the handwash guys had been using. (stopped using them ages ago) dont trust anyone to wash my car these days after discovering a few light scratches on paintwork.
So be careful when using any strong wheel cleanser... it affects the plastic and causes it to go a white colour.

I ended up giving the orignial caps a quick light spray of d/grey, intended to replace them at some point later which is why I ordered that full set, though the dealer could'nt get me the caps for the locking wheel nuts, it seems they come with locking kit, and have to be ordered separately.

Rockh
16-11-09, 07:16 PM
Well I've managed to loose a couple of caps today off the rears. :(

MICKTHEMECHANIC
16-11-09, 09:14 PM

Who knows?

What is the solution?

instead of travelling at 100mph try going at 95mph:D

Amos
17-11-09, 06:14 AM
Its always the rear they come with me

afisher
17-11-09, 10:40 AM
Mine are all still there.

rosco
18-11-09, 05:27 PM
lost one, how are you paying 22 od quid when i pay 36cent each from opel.... anyone want any?

chris66
18-11-09, 05:36 PM
try sticking these in boiling water then leave them to cool naturally. don't put them in cold water to cool or this'll make it worse.

sofuse
19-11-09, 07:58 AM
I phoned Vauxhall customer services about my Insignia shedding wheel nut caps. They got back to me and said that due to "customer feedback", they will arrange for my local dealership to fit a complete set of "modified caps" free of charge.
Good result.

kevinfourlegs
19-11-09, 08:09 AM
Nice to see that Vauxhall have listened and done sonething.

sofuse
19-11-09, 09:05 AM
Nice to see that Vauxhall have listened and done sonething.

Problems can occur with any vehicle, particularly a new model, but it's how those problems are dealt with that is important.

I can't fault Vauxhall on this one. They were quick to respond and have addressed the problem.

These modified caps should now be available free to anyone with this problem.

Amos
20-11-09, 10:56 AM
Have you got the part number for the "modified caps" just spoke to VX HQ and they dont know of "modified caps".

I phoned Vauxhall customer services about my Insignia shedding wheel nut caps. They got back to me and said that due to "customer feedback", they will arrange for my local dealership to fit a complete set of "modified caps" free of charge.
Good result.

sofuse
20-11-09, 11:38 AM
Have you got the part number for the "modified caps" just spoke to VX HQ and they dont know of "modified caps".

I'll let you know as soon as I can what the part number is for the caps.

Melbury
20-11-09, 01:52 PM
I have a pack of 20 new genuine GM VX Insignia wheel Nut caps here which I bought as spares for my Insignia if anyone interested.
22m x approx 20mm long. Finished is Dark Grey. See Pic. Note. They are only for the wheel nuts, I dont have any for the locking nuts which are round. They have to ordered separately.

PM me if anyone interested Just a tenna free postage seeing as I dont need them.

Thanks for advice about login, I didn't actually catch it, but anyhow by some mystery I seem to be back in ! As for the nut caps, I was in the local dealers and to my surprise they were able to sell me a set of 20 for £4.
They are black whereas the originals are grey (think black is ok anway) but the set does not include the lock-nut ones .
As you said they are a separate issue, I havent lost any of those so far.
Now I must try the sticky tape job before fitting them.

Melbury
26-11-09, 02:44 PM
My 18 inch standard 13 spoke Elite wheel h ave started shedding their plastic wheel caps!

Who knows?

What is the solution?

MY SOLUTION--------------After buying new ones ( which are a bit longer) I used some small double sided sticky foam pads to ensure a good fit.
These are of the brand name 'Selotape' Outdoor Sticky Fixers 20mm x 20mm.
One only for each cap using only one sticky side and no trimming needed.
In the event of changing a wheel the caps should be easily enough removed,
I think there is a tool supplied for that, but, 'to be sure to be sure', keep a pair of long nose pliers with the wheel-brace.

Phelix
18-01-10, 06:17 PM
Shedding plastic wheel nut caps is a real pain.Vauxhall have not accepted it as an issue although dealers and customers are very aware of the problem, advice given to me was to use blue tack to secure nut caps.
It would be an advantage for as many customers as possible should complain to vauxhall customer support.

chris66
19-01-10, 05:59 AM
Shedding plastic wheel nut caps is a real pain.Vauxhall have not accepted it as an issue although dealers and customers are very aware of the problem, advice given to me was to use blue tack to secure nut caps.
It would be an advantage for as many customers as possible should complain to vauxhall customer support.

What is the speed rating of blue tack? I only ask because i found out that Gaffa tape is only rated to 75mph. I found this out when the repair on the roof of the convertible disappeared into the distance while on the M6.:confused:

snarf
19-01-10, 06:48 AM
What is the speed rating of blue tack? I only ask because i found out that Gaffa tape is only rated to 75mph. I found this out when the repair on the roof of the convertible disappeared into the distance while on the M6.:confused:

Lmao (-

Amos
19-01-10, 06:54 AM
Is it cawdor cars that told you to us blue tack?

vauxvet
24-01-10, 11:52 AM

I did complain to vx customer support and got a call back saying they didn't know of any issues with the caps!!!! I'd got it booked in the dealers for the ignition barrel check and grease also something to do with the DPF, so i mentioned that the caps seemed loose and that i'd lost one, also the brakes were squealing. When i picked it up they said they'd ordered some new caps and were fitting them under warranty and they also fitted new rear brake pads to stop the squealing, so is there an issue with the pads too??

mitch1408
24-01-10, 01:12 PM
Just washed my car and missing 3 wheel caps and all those on the left hand side of the car look they have been splashed with white paint, they look really bad. Going back to the dealers next weekend to have it sorted out, also going to get them to look at the rear brake discs as they have started scoreing.

And the most annoying thing about todays wash, it looks like someone has tried to break into the car, the chrome strip on the passenger side has got scratches all over it as if someone has tried the old coat hanger trick! I was, and still am, fuming! No idea when or where its happened though! ARGHHHH

edder
24-01-10, 02:15 PM
Feeling rather smug that my caps were ok,noticed today that four caps are missing on nearside off both wheels. They were all on a few days ago.

PRO-INSIGNIA
24-01-10, 04:34 PM
Just washed my car and missing 3 wheel caps and all those on the left hand side of the car look they have been splashed with white paint, they look really bad. Going back to the dealers next weekend to have it sorted out, also going to get them to look at the rear brake discs as they have started scoreing.

And the most annoying thing about todays wash, it looks like someone has tried to break into the car, the chrome strip on the passenger side has got scratches all over it as if someone has tried the old coat hanger trick! I was, and still am, fuming! No idea when or where its happened though! ARGHHHH

Are you sure the chrome strip was not damaged when you had your windows tinted? They would have had to remove this strip when they removed the window.:confused:

Getting mine tinted this week:)

mitch1408
24-01-10, 04:37 PM
yeah, the damage is to the front chrome strip they only removed the rear for tinting. On the subject of my window tinting, just about to update the post I started on them.......

PRO-INSIGNIA
24-01-10, 04:42 PM
The stuff that looks like white paint on your wheel caps is caused by very agressive alloy wheel.:(

mitch1408
24-01-10, 04:54 PM
Agressive alloy wheel cleaner?

I havnt used anything on the wheels except car shampoo and water (provided by the dealer)

Need to replace the missing ones anyway so ill just get a set of 20.

thermalactivity
24-01-10, 10:39 PM
im amazed by just how many posts this thread has created! i dont think id lose much sleep over losing a plastic wheel nut cover im afraid :eek: do they actually need to be there in the first place? have they got an actual purpose! :confused:

thermalactivity
24-01-10, 11:00 PM
If you want a thread that is totally about nothing

at least that thread had more of a purpose ;)

edder
05-02-10, 08:00 PM
Called in at Perrys of Doncaster on Wednesday of this week regarding the missing caps,they inspected the existing caps agreed they were loose fitting and would contact VX.They phoned back later during the day, VX had agreed to exchange them.
Supplied and fitted today doesn't come with the plastic locking cap one but that seems a tighter fit anyway.
Happy with the speed Perrys handled the above as they weren't my supplying dealer.

SimonIG10
06-02-10, 02:43 PM
Only just noticed this but I have lost 2 covers off one of the back wheels and one on each of the front ones. Is anyone else having this. Gonna make sure Vauxhall replace these when it goes in for a service. Bit of a poor design if they just fall off.

snarf
06-02-10, 02:45 PM
Only just noticed this but I have lost 2 covers off one of the back wheels and one on each of the front ones. Is anyone else having this. Gonna make sure Vauxhall replace these when it goes in for a service. Bit of a poor design if they just fall off.

Have a look here.https://vodc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10305

SimonIG10
06-02-10, 02:49 PM
Hi, just notice a bunch of mine have gone. Must have been the cold weather. Does anyone have the phone number of Vauxhall Cust Support so I can order a new set.

SimonIG10
06-02-10, 02:50 PM
I had a feeling I had read about this before....please ignore this posting as one already running....sorry.

stephen florida
12-02-10, 03:37 PM
I have lost a couple on the rear ,Called into my local dealership today, no other problems with any other car , was his answer and point blank failed to do anything about mine. Will speak to vauxall later.

steve
www.bookmyvilla.com

SimonIG10
10-03-10, 06:26 PM
Result...complained to Vauxhall customer services on the web. Got a call to say they were investigating with the dealer who wouldnt give me any replacements. Dealer subsequently phoned me to arrange for them to be ordered and a call today confirmed they are ready for collection.

kevinfourlegs
10-03-10, 07:36 PM
That's more like it. Hopefully you won't lose any more.

mitch1408
10-03-10, 07:43 PM
Ive been told vauxhall are releasing a new design of wheel nut caps soon. Thats why my dealer wouldnt give me any, they said I can have the new ones when they come out.

edder
10-03-10, 08:25 PM
Local dealer supplied mine after they had contacted VX,dealer said part number is the same so as long as they are factory fresh they will be a tighter fit(as mine are).
Noticed somebody paid £41 for 20 caps on ebay.

mikeoverland
11-03-10, 09:11 PM
just had my Insignia in for 3 recalls.
- Diesel Partculte Filter software.
- Sat Nav Software
- Spacer in the rear quarter panel???
and they also repaced 11 of my missing wheel nut caps!

SimonIG10
13-03-10, 03:25 PM
Need to wait for mine to come back from having door mirror damage fixed. Dealer wouldnt let me have them without fitting them to the car. Will have to wait till next week. Seems a bit daft but I guess it is because they are replacing them under warranty. Will 'lose' a a few more so that I can keep a few spares.

chris66
13-03-10, 06:09 PM
anyone tried boiling them in water yet? boil them in water and leave them to cool naturally. don't cool them in anything cold(i know what i mean)l:confused:lol or you'll make them worse.