PDA

View Full Version : door handles and 'aluminium' trim...

svpworld
05-12-09, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know if the insignia inside door handles and other aluminium looking trim around the gear shift for example is indeed metal or plastic? I would expect from Vauxhall it would be plastic but it feels very cold to the touch as if metal (even get condensation on it!). Only would like to know so that I can decide how best to clean it.

joemailey
06-12-09, 04:18 PM
I think mine is plastic. Doesn't feel like metal around the gear shifter.

Melbury
07-12-09, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know if the insignia inside door handles and other aluminium looking trim around the gear shift for example is indeed metal or plastic? I would expect from Vauxhall it would be plastic but it feels very cold to the touch as if metal (even get condensation on it!). Only would like to know so that I can decide how best to clean it.

I believe its metal, not sure what type but I've cleaned it a few times using stuff called 'Autosol metal polish'.
Its recommended for chrome etc and did the job ok, comes in a tube like tooth-paste, ( looks like it too!, so watch it)
The trim on the door handles etc may be polished aluminium.

svpworld
07-12-09, 02:50 PM
It certainly looks like metal on the door trims, feels like it too and there are few small scratches that appear 'metal like'. The thick trim around the gear shifter looks the same too (not the thinner chrome trim which I'm sure is plastic).

I only use a very soft duster and a microfibre polishing cloth with water spray to clean mine. Sounds like a metal polish could be a bit harsh but.. if youve tried it and it works then could prove it is metal.

PRO-INSIGNIA
07-12-09, 07:07 PM
Both parts are plastic. Insignia needs to save weight somewhere.:)

Powerod
07-12-09, 10:27 PM

The interior door handles a definatley coated with chrome effect plastic as the Insignia I had on loan from VX the drivers door handle startred to peel of on the top corner. Apperently there is a recall out on the door handles.