PDA

View Full Version : First Service

svpworld
10-12-09, 06:30 PM
Owned the Insignia Exclusiv 160 cdti now for approx 2 months, having purchased a used Jan 2009 car at 10K miles. Oil change indicator came up yesterday at approx 14500 miles and as its nearly a year old decided to have its first service.
Called in the dealers after work (Drive, Iron Acton near Yate) and they managed to do the service, but mentioned there were a number of recall notices that needed doing - interesting to note them which included greasing the ignition lock, sealing to chamber to prevent water ingress (scuttle?) and reprogramming of the diesel particulate filter (?). Will book it in next week to get these done, together with them checking why my snow flake doesnt appear when icy conditions arise (a bit of reprogramming might help it).

Out of interest what have members paid for their first service (160 cdti)? Mine included oil & filter, engine flush, screen wash, the usual brake cleaner stuff, antifreeze top up 1ltr and some eco disposal fee... total £185. Is that usual?

mitch1408
10-12-09, 06:50 PM
Not had mine done yet but £185 sounds about right to me. Did you have the air filter and pollen filter changed too?

svpworld
10-12-09, 07:04 PM
not yet, that'll be in another year. Service though was excellent and they were very considerate with the car, which goes a long way! Obviously in need of its first oil change as it runs like silk now!

svpworld
11-12-09, 05:21 PM
not sure if that was 1 litre of screenwash or antifreeze, as you say seems a bit crazy why it would need coolant top up of 1 litre... even the screenwash though I could have added myself if i had known.
I'm all for the engine flush though, being this is the first service it probably helps to clean all the crud resulting from those fresh new bits spinning for the first time and depositing debris into the oil...

Melbury
15-12-09, 01:43 PM
My Exclusiv 1.8 petrol will be due first service in early Feb, I've only so far done about 7k and it hasn't wanted a spark of oil.
I thought the service would be about £150, would the diesel service be dearer than the petrol? Chances are they will increase the price by the new year! which makes me wonder if it can be done before then?
Anyway, I think I will be looking to do the next one myself.

mitch1408
15-12-09, 04:45 PM
My Exclusiv 1.8 petrol will be due first service in early Feb, I've only so far done about 7k and it hasn't wanted a spark of oil.
I thought the service would be about £150, would the diesel service be dearer than the petrol? Chances are they will increase the price by the new year! which makes me wonder if it can be done before then?
Anyway, I think I will be looking to do the next one myself.

Cant see why it would be more expensive than the petrol but then again its my first disel so might be chatting rubbish! Prices will go up in Jan, thats when the VAT goes back up so you might be aswel to get it in early, nothing stopping you just the fact that you will need to do it the same time next year (although a few weeks wont make too much difference)

Ive always done my own servicing - but only when the warranty has run out! :cool:

Melbury
18-12-09, 11:16 PM
Yes ! Think you are spot on about that, so I will look to get the first service done ASAP after Christmas and also stick with it til the warranty expires.

svpworld
19-12-09, 04:54 AM
Diesels have always cost more than petrols to service, maybe someone can explain why? As well as the service they did some recall work including sealing the plenum chamber, reprogramming the diesel particulate filter and greasing the ignition lock. I also mentioned to them that I noticed occasionally a slight clack noise from the gear shift area when I change from 6th to 5th, sort of like something plastic. I said that I wasnt particularly bothered by it but thought it worth mentioning and they insisted to look at it and fix it! Anyway they are going to order and replace a plastic mounting part in the gear shift area. Still nowhere though in terms of fixing my ice warning indicator, it was -2C last night and i still havent seen my little snowflake symbol on the info displays.

mitch1408
21-12-09, 09:32 AM
This is the ice warning i get on between the dials. The snowflake i get on the dash only comes on when the air con is on.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz311/mitch1408/IceWarning.jpg

svpworld
22-12-09, 04:47 AM
Thats a bigger info screen that on the exclusive, which doesnt have the full graphic screen like yours. According to the manual the ice warning is on the single radio display, but mine has never shown.. and its been showing -4C!