PDA

View Full Version : Deep water!

1971Viva
20-12-09, 03:06 PM
Hi, I have a 1.8 16v Insignia and had a thought the other day about driving through flood water. I always try and avoid any flooding but sometimes you have no choice so in anticipation I decided to lift the bonnet to see where the air intake is situated. I was amazed to find it seems to intake air from inside the front offside wing but how near to the ground isn’t obvious.

Has anyone any idea how low the air intake is and what is the max depth of water you can safely negotiate?
Cheers

Rockh
21-12-09, 11:02 AM
Looking at mine it is just off the top, slightly to the front. The wheel arch liner has a grill with what looks like some form of filter in a similar position.
Even so I would think twice about trying to "ford" any deep puddles.

1971Viva
21-12-09, 05:14 PM
Hi, and thanks for the replies.
Yes, I have noticed the intake grill in the wheel arch and that is one of the reasons I raised the subject. Surely the engine air intake cannot be as low as 8 or 9 inches above the road. If that is correct then a deep pothole full of water could be disaterous.
I am not expecting the intake to be up on the roof like some of the modified landrovers :) but would have expected it to be about bonnet level.

jackrs
21-12-09, 06:13 PM
The intake is behind the front grill inline with the large chrome strip

1971Viva
21-12-09, 08:13 PM
Brilliant, thanks for that. I knew there must be a sensible answer without taking the car to pieces to find it:D:
Thanks

Gorfinkle
21-12-09, 08:17 PM
Also, if you are going to go through a flood, make sure you keep it in a low gear and quite a high rev count, if you drop on the revs then water will flood the exhaust system and possibly enter the engine. I've seen this many times with people who drive 4x4's and think they are safe

chris66
21-12-09, 08:21 PM
Also, if you are going to go through a flood, make sure you keep it in a low gear and quite a high rev count, if you drop on the revs then water will flood the exhaust system and possibly enter the engine. I've seen this many times with people who drive 4x4's and think they are safe

I have been up over the bonnet in water with mine. ShYting myself. Too late to turn back so the only way was steadily forward. Came out the other end ok. You'll have a few vehicles in your charge you could hand around Rob.:D

Gorfinkle
21-12-09, 08:22 PM
Just got rid of 27 land rover 110's, so when i go back in the new year i've got sod all to work on

chris66
21-12-09, 08:26 PM
Just got rid of 27 land rover 110's, so when i go back in the new year i've got sod all to work on

How can you have 27 spare landrovers? Thats a lot of motors. What do they do with them Rob, Sell them on?

Gorfinkle
21-12-09, 08:27 PM
How can you have 27 spare landrovers? Thats a lot of motors. What do they do with them Rob, Sell them on?

Nope, the company i work for, the MoD :D

chris66
21-12-09, 08:28 PM
Nope, the company i work for, the MoD :D

Me, being a taxpayer, should get first refusal:D

Vectra-Arctic
21-12-09, 08:31 PM
Me, being a taxpayer, should get first refusal:D

Get to the back of the queue, you have a Shogun ! :p

Gorfinkle
21-12-09, 08:36 PM
All these rovers are on their way to our boys out in Afghan

chris66
21-12-09, 09:05 PM
All these rovers are on their way to our boys out in Afghan

Thats just not on! why do i pay my taxes?

Gorfinkle
21-12-09, 09:20 PM
Thats just not on! why do i pay my taxes?

Don't get me started on the "taxes" politics :D lets get back on topic

chris66
21-12-09, 09:22 PM
Don't get me started on the "taxes" politics :D lets get back on topic

what was the topic again? Oh aye! Can i submerge my Insignia. In a word, NO!