PDA

View Full Version : Another question already - lighting

simonrh
21-12-09, 12:25 PM
Should my headlights be able to stay on as I walk away from my car.

My Seat used to do this for xx seconds after you locked the doors to see you down the drive (dead handy at the moment). Only downer was people forever telling me that I had left my lights on.

I have looked in the config and set the "external light turn off delay" setting or whatever it is to 2 mins but I always seem to be left in the dark the moment I get out?

Rockh
21-12-09, 12:28 PM
You would think so but....
Press the unlock button on the remote and they come on.

afisher
21-12-09, 12:30 PM
That config setting should mean the lights stay on for that long once you lock the car. If not then there is a fault.

simonrh
21-12-09, 12:34 PM
It was more for the times when I am walking away from the car when you have already locked the door, pressing the "lock" button twice double secures the door so presumably you have to keep pressing unlock then relock once you have got to tthe front door of the house?

afisher
21-12-09, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a fault. I would take it back for fixing.

Rockh
21-12-09, 12:58 PM
The manual (page 100) is a little clearer than the menu info.
The lights coming on when unlocking are the vehicle locator lights and the other is the ambient lighting on exit which I take to mean the interior and door lights.

On the vectra, you could flash the main beam and the headlights would stay on for time after the key was removed, never tried in the insignia though.

simonrh
21-12-09, 01:00 PM
I'll get a torch :)

Powerod
21-12-09, 01:42 PM
Should my headlights be able to stay on as I walk away from my car.

My Seat used to do this for xx seconds after you locked the doors to see you down the drive (dead handy at the moment). Only downer was people forever telling me that I had left my lights on.

I have looked in the config and set the "external light turn off delay" setting or whatever it is to 2 mins but I always seem to be left in the dark the moment I get out?

The set up on the exterior ambient lighting only works when the vehicle is 'unlocked' from the remote, there is no setting to activate the lights when you 'lock' the vehicle.
Aperently the ambient lighting setting when you unlock your car is so that you can identify your car, very usefull if you have parked in a car park with lots of Insignia's..lol.
It would be handy to have the setting for the lights on when you lock your car if you park on a drive way to your house, other than that we'll need to unlock then lock the car when you get in.

Another usefull point to note the ambient lighting will not activate if the dial on lights is left set on sidelights or headlights, the dial must be left on the Auto light setting.

simonrh
21-12-09, 01:44 PM
The set up on the exterior ambient lighting only works when the vehicle is 'unlocked' from the remote, there is no setting to activate the lights when you 'lock' the vehicle.
Aperently the ambient lighting setting when you unlock your car is so that you can identify your car, very usefull if you have parked in a car park with lots of Insignia's..lol.
It would be handy to have the setting for the lights on when you lock your car if you park on a drive way to your house, other than that we'll need to unlock then lock the car when you get in.

Another usefull point to note the ambient lighting will not activate if the dial on lights is left set on sidelights or headlights, the dial must be left on the Auto light setting.

I think that is kind of where I had got to at the weekend but thought maybe I was missing a trick.

mitch1408
21-12-09, 02:27 PM
If you want the lights on when you leave the car, when the engine is off and the drivers door is open, flash the main beam once, the lights will come on, shut the door and lock it, they will stay on for about 1 min then go off. Its brilliant for seeing down dark, icy driveways!

simonrh
21-12-09, 02:28 PM
I will give it a go tonight as I stumble down that Icy road.

Powerod
21-12-09, 02:57 PM
Top man Mitch works a treat, learn something new every day...lol

simonrh
21-12-09, 04:14 PM
Welcome to secret world of VX ownership skills! I remember having to read the manual in my GF's Nova years ago to work out how to turn the interior light on. Apparently anyone who has ever owned a vauxhall knew you had to pull the main headlight switch out?

mitch1408
21-12-09, 04:33 PM
Another lighting tip, if you are on a dark street, ignition off, keys out, door open, then put your left or right indicator on, you will hear a short beep and your left or right sidelight, front and back will come on and stay on. Just to help drivers see your car but without flattening your battery! :D

as soon as you start the car the normal indicator will start ticking away!

Works on the astra H and the insignia, dont konw about other models.

chris66
21-12-09, 04:49 PM
Yep, another old skool one, this works on alot of models Old & new. i know it woks on the vec-c's, also the new AstraJ too. I think i have the oldest car with this feature, Mk1 Carlton-1984.:):cool:

my 86 Golf had this. nice to see vauxhall clawing its way into the 20th century.:D

cerbera147
22-12-09, 08:37 AM
If you want the lights on when you leave the car, when the engine is off and the drivers door is open, flash the main beam once, the lights will come on, shut the door and lock it, they will stay on for about 1 min then go off. Its brilliant for seeing down dark, icy driveways!

A-mazing (-

This a great tip / secret :D It should do this without any user input but I prefer to be in on a secret Vauxhall tip ;)

My Seat Altea has the sidelight / indicator one. Quite useful but as someone else said people were forever telling me my lights were on :rolleyes: