PDA

View Full Version : frontera 2.2 eco-wrek engine ...

A3LTR
09-12-10, 09:50 PM
here we go...
started of with a simple cylinder head gasket change and it's turned into a nightmare...
after completing the cyl head it has now developed low oil pressure. Removed the sump to find the oil pick up pipe is completely blocked with carbon & other kak...
cleaned it all out & re-fitted the sump... now it has developed a knocking under load and also when the throttle is blipped..

took the plunge & ordered a set of big end bearings (£20) I've just spent the evening removing the sump again and the lower section of the engine only to find some strange sort of pump located under the crank..

What on earth is this ???

Anyway, finally got this chunk out the way to reveal the crank, then removed the big end bearing caps for no 2 & 3 pistons to find that the white metal has worn through to the copper ! (pics to follow)

Now I've got the wonderful job of replacing them & re-fitting the sump etc... but I'm going to have to lift the engine or take it out to replace everything properly

what a pain in the backside this has turned out to be, why have all this hassle to do a simple job??
15 yrs ago I changed the big ends on my old mk2 carlton in about an hour...

2.0 vectra
09-12-10, 09:54 PM
all the bits in the sump you are on about , sounds like the balancer shafts that were fitted to later engines .

A3LTR
09-12-10, 10:07 PM
balancer shafts ? what ? it is gear driven off the crank? what does it do ? is it needed ?

2.0 vectra
10-12-10, 06:37 AM
yeah , gear driven off the crank & supposed to help the engine run smoother .
some people have removed them from vectra's & say the engine revs more freely without them .

envoy cdx
10-12-10, 07:06 AM
They certainly remove them from the z20LET's for better performance, however - it will be slightly lumpy on tick over.

You'll also have to get something (can't remember what though) from a ecotec pre-balancer days if memory serves me correctly.

Personally, you should just get a 2.2 from a Vectra B and make that fit :P

A3LTR
10-12-10, 12:19 PM
do these need to be timed up as I can't find any info anywhere on it, everything i've found is for the 2.2 with a chain - mine has a timing belt & is driven directly off the crank???

envoy cdx
10-12-10, 02:54 PM
You'll have the same 2.2 thats found in the omega.
If you have additional sprockets then you'll have isues I'd imagine.
I'll have a good google later and see if I can find anything.

I'd follow the guide for the z20let and see how you get on.

A3LTR
10-12-10, 05:19 PM
I've had a look on TIS & found some info on these balance shafts and found the timing info !

thanks for all ya help ! - hopefully i'll get this pig of a motor sorted !

envoy cdx
10-12-10, 11:11 PM
I'm sure you won't struggle too much with it :)

A3LTR
11-12-10, 11:14 PM
well the big end bearings are done & engine re-built...

here is the little gits - the top 2 are new ones to give you a comparison !

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/a3ltr/odds/10122010673.jpg

and the overall result is...............

One quiet engine !!! at last !!!!

A3LTR
11-12-10, 11:26 PM
here is the balance shaft's, what an awkward lump they are too !

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/a3ltr/odds/10122010674.jpg

If anyone has the crank driven balance shafts in their engine, they need to be timed up as follows
engine must be on TDC no 1 cyl firing stroke (ie timing belt marks)

The balance shafts must be set with the flat edge horizontal as in the pic below

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/a3ltr/odds/10122010676.jpg

Once this is done they can be re-fitted, but make sure all the timing marks are correct including this one on the balancer. :)

2.0 vectra
12-12-10, 08:58 AM
isn't there something to do with shims on them as well ?

A3LTR
12-12-10, 09:04 AM
the only info I found stated that if there is no work done on the crank the shim plate that comes out has to go back in, you can see it lying on top of the balancer in the 1st pic :)
any other work like crank grind etc will upset the effects of the balancer & could make the engine wobble about really bad !

2.0 vectra
12-12-10, 09:05 AM
wasn't sure exactly what it was , just knew I had seen something about there being shims for the balance shafts .

A3LTR
12-12-10, 09:07 AM
i'll be honest, i've never seen or heard of a balace shaft till I got this frontera !
I'm used to taking a sump off & finding either a splash guard or the crank - not this lump lol

2.0 vectra
12-12-10, 09:10 AM
My vectra has the same big old lump in the bottom the engine , lol
only found out when I had to take the sump off to remove the sump plug that a "mate " cross threaded when he changed my oil :(

envoy cdx
12-12-10, 06:02 PM
My vectra has the same big old lump in the bottom the engine , lol
only found out when I had to take the sump off to remove the sump plug that a "mate " cross threaded when he changed my oil :(

There are some xxxxxxs in the world Kev :(

Steve, glad its sorted. This is a job I keep putting off on the cav.

A3LTR
20-12-10, 06:19 PM
well the frontera has given up the ghost again - oil light back on & engine rattling like hell..
checked the pick up pipe - clear
checked pressure relief valve - ok
oil level - ok
Filter - seems ok but no way of telling..

so I pulled the engine out and stripped it... can't see anything obviously wrong with the oil pump, checked the big ends again, they seem ok, had a look at the mains and they need changing !

This lack of oil pressure has got me stumped....

so Instead of going out for a drink this year, i've spent my money on a sump gasket set, new big end and main bearings ............ oh and an oil pump....
Wish I never bought the flippin thing now.... doing my head in....

I've had less hassle with my 33yr old cav than this piece of junk ! lol

A3LTR
22-12-10, 06:50 PM
well out comes the engine !

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/a3ltr/odds/19122010679.jpg

and here are the main bearing shells.. luckily the crank is ok
the big ends are sitting in the block :)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/a3ltr/odds/20122010681.jpg

A3LTR
22-12-10, 07:47 PM
the mains are the ones showing the copper & the big ends are sitting in the block - the ones that are silver !

A3LTR
22-12-10, 08:35 PM
yep, the white metal is completely worn away down to the copper on the mains
the big ends are a bit scored but this could be from lack of oil as they do take alot of punishment...
i've got new sets of big and main to put in...

A3LTR
22-12-10, 08:37 PM
i've got 2 x 2.0 CIH engines sitting there doing nothing, I would rather fit one of those in.. there a bit more bomb proof !!

A3LTR
22-12-10, 08:54 PM
i think it's purely down to lack of oil.. I can't even see anything wrong with the oil pump.....
one thing in mind though, when I took the rad out before removing the engine there did appear to be enough room to fit a 6 pot in there !! lol

envoy cdx
22-12-10, 10:25 PM
You sending the crank off for a bit of a regrind too while its out again?

A3LTR
23-12-10, 02:46 PM
no, the crank looks ok so it's going back in, if it gets a re-grind I'd have to buy different bearing shells & it would also affect the balance shafts..

petewright
16-10-11, 07:41 PM
Have just bought a 2.2 Frontera and the head gasket went on me too. Irony is that I avoided a Freelander as I didn't want to change the head gasket!!

Can't believe this 2.2 is so different to the 2.2 in my Omega. Cannot see the logic in having to remove the cam to get at the head bilts!?! The Omega can be removed with the cams in situ. As for the DIS and EGR valve being strapped to the back of the head / inlet manifold this was obviously fitted with the engine out as I can't see anyone in Vauxhalls struggling like I just have to undo and do up the tiny torx bolts!

At least it is now back together and hoping I don't suffer the other maladies you have suffered.!