PDA

View Full Version : Rough idling Zafira

Land-Barge
02-04-11, 04:02 PM
Hi all, just when i thought I'd got my sisters 1.6 zaffy sorted another problem rears it's head :bash:

Recently it's been running rough on idle (fine when you rev it up) and cutting out when you dip the clutch, problem has slowly got worse til it was undrivable.

Today I decided to have a look, friend suggested there might be an air leak so checked that by spraying wd40 over the inlet, no change. Popped the air intake to check the throttle body, it seemed to improve with it off but not perfect.

Then I noticed the Coolant temp gauge was playing up so changed the sensor thinking it might be screwing the ECU. Fixed the gauge but little if any change

Next I took off the EGR valve and blasted it with carb cleaner, put it back on, an improvement yes but every now and then it'll cut out, run rough in idle and then clear itself.

So could the EGR be at fault and is there a better way of checking/cleaning it?

Is there anything else I need to check?

Thanks for looking :thumbs:

bud1970
02-04-11, 04:04 PM
i would say its the EGR, mate. have you tried blanking it? also have you done the pedal test to see if any fault codes come up?.....

Land-Barge
02-04-11, 05:24 PM
No fault codes are coming up which I thought was weird, think it might have been the EGR sticking, as it's got better now, just been down the shops and no stalling :thumbs:

How do you blank it off?

Land-Barge
02-04-11, 08:08 PM
Earthing pint on the bulkhead, just under the wiper on passenger side, these are prone to it & most folk take another earth to the inner wing, easies cheapest fixes first, i would give the manifold that the egr sits on a de-gunking & carb cleaner down the TB also. hth?:yo:

Done the earthing point when you suggested it last time :yo:

And cleaning the EGR valve has appeared to have done the trick for now, fingers crossed:thumbs:

Land-Barge
03-04-11, 08:45 AM
Just reused the old gasket but carefully cleaned it, no problems so far

paulwells
03-04-11, 04:41 PM
i had similar issues with my astra 1.6 16v turned out it was the egr valve mine used to start fine till it got warm then would kangaroo stall and so on then settle down fitted new egr valve has run spot on since and fuel consumption is better paul