PDA

View Full Version : Zafira Losing power

Maxcaddy
14-08-12, 08:19 AM
Okay, what's happening on my 2002 2.0 DTi is this :-

Recently there's been bouts of losing power especially on hills and pulling away, as if the turbo wasn't kicking in. This has now got so bad that its way down on power all the time and on hills struggles to get up in 2nd with the engine not wanting to rev over 3000 and a smell of burning plastic on a long hill. On the flat the revs will pickup and go around the clock, and downhill it revs easy.

When its turned off you can hear the Turbo whine as it slows down, so I guess it is has spun up ?

I'm hoping this is a known 2.0 DTi issue, and that there's a simple cure :help:

And yes, I have changed the air filter just in case :D

Vauxhallnutter Mark
14-08-12, 12:07 PM
I am sure vauxhallnutter mark had similar issues with his dti, losing power on hills etc. From what i remember it all pointed to the earth point on the bulkhead.
It had corroded, so mark cleaned that all up & re-routed from that point to the inner passenger wing, copper slip on both points and never had the issue again.
I see you swapped the air filter, but when was the fuel filter changed? This could also lead to fuel struggling through(-

The fuel filter could be the issue but i think this is more likely to be the maf or the egr valve. Is the engine management light on? The former is pretty cheap but the latter is about 500 quid and can throw out the swirl chamber which is the same again. Sometimes you can clean the egr valve with carb and choke cleaner.

Maxcaddy
14-08-12, 07:59 PM
Thanks fellas,

Haven't done the fuel filter, but I did change it 3 months ago when the Wife tried filling it with unleaded :cool:

Taking the MAF to be half way from the air box to the turbo I looked at that and it was clean inside, pulled the connector off wiggled it and put it back, and now the management light is on all the time. But would that be enough to make it lose so much power ?

Looked at the EGR, but I don't know what a good one looks like ?.

When I pulled the hose from the Turbo to the intercooler there's a lot of suction on the intake end, but very little puff coming out of the Turbo end. In fact revving the engine gives about the same hot breath as the dog does after a fast run :eek:

I swoped the engine last year after the original gave out and this replacement has been running fine upto now, must say if its a £500 repair, its off to the great metal yard in the Sky.

Vauxhallnutter Mark
14-08-12, 08:15 PM
Thanks fellas,

Haven't done the fuel filter, but I did change it 3 months ago when the Wife tried filling it with unleaded :cool:

Taking the MAF to be half way from the air box to the turbo I looked at that and it was clean inside, pulled the connector off wiggled it and put it back, and now the management light is on all the time. But would that be enough to make it lose so much power ?

Looked at the EGR, but I don't know what a good one looks like ?.

When I pulled the hose from the Turbo to the intercooler there's a lot of suction on the intake end, but very little puff coming out of the Turbo end. In fact revving the engine gives about the same hot breath as the dog does after a fast run :eek:

I swoped the engine last year after the original gave out and this replacement has been running fine upto now, must say if its a £500 repair, its off to the great metal yard in the Sky.

The EML light on will send it into limp home mode so I would advise getting one of the code readers available (or opcom for your laptop) which also turns the light off. Once you know whats causing it you can then act accordingly. You may find that you have cured the problem or it could be something simple like the MAF (in the pipe going to the air filter box).

Let us know how you get on.

Vauxhallnutter Mark
14-08-12, 10:20 PM
I had to change my maf, that was clean as a whistle inside but its down to the electrical current sent thats the issue. I don't think egr's are £500, nor are maf's.:eek:
Sometime disconnecting the battery for half an hour will reset the eml light, but if there problems current it will start again. If you know someone close to you to get the code read then all is good. was the eml on before? Have you looked at the earth point on the bulkhead?(-

They were when I bought mine! (and that was on trade club!)

Vauxhallnutter Mark
14-08-12, 10:40 PM
Blimey!! :thud: they have to be the dearest one ever.:eek:
I did find these though.. Click me (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-EGR-Valve-9128573-Fits-Astra-Omega-Vectra-Zafira-Diesel-/190671723833?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&xxxx=item2c64eb9d39) you don't have to replace the whole housing..;);)

Hmmm dunno about this, it may be ok but I would personally think that a genuine vaux one would be better.

They may not be £500 now as vauxhall have lowered the prices on a lot of stuff like this.

Vauxhallnutter Mark
14-08-12, 11:04 PM
Thats all the valve is, i took the one off zillah's vec-b which is tha same as this, cleaned it up & jobs a good-un.(-

A clean will most likely do the trick. I think its more likely to be the MAF to be honest.

Victorbox
15-08-12, 08:30 AM
Whole selection of ideas here but I recall split rubber vacuum pipes are a favourite: http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=60293

Maxcaddy
18-08-12, 12:43 PM
That's a good link about the vacuum hoses, I will thoroughly check them, but so far I've found nothing.

After playing with the MAF the EML came on continuously but after leaving it overnight it then went off again, Although it is coming on and off at times, so a trip to the local garage for their diagonstic seems to be the answer. I would buy one but then it could I only use it the once, and that's an expensive option.

Will report back if and when this is fixed :bash:

2.0 vectra
18-08-12, 01:25 PM
could well be a split hose somewhere allowing the boost to escape .

talisman_101
18-08-12, 03:04 PM
Check around the inlet manifold, bacause if it it cracked or damaged ( it shouldn't be but you never know ) it also could explain your loss of power.

Maxcaddy
25-08-12, 05:06 PM
Well, here's where we be too, as they say in Somerset :D.

I had a good look around at all the vacuum hoses and connections and couldn't see anything amiss, so I took it to the local garage. They cleared all the fault codes from the ECU and bypassed what they called the 'Turbo Pressure Sensor' which I believe is correctly called the 'Boost pressure regulation valve' by connecting the vacuums together. By then ir was late on Friday and as they couldn't get a new valve until tuesday I took it home.

Well yes it was running better until you really gave it some welly, and then it switched into limp mode :mad: I found that if I then coasted and turned the ignition off for a few seconds and back on, it would then run alright until it tripped out again under load :rolleyes:

So playing with it today I put in an old MAF which I had in the garage and it was working great. Put the vacuum pipes onto the Boost valve and it worked, then tripped out, then worked, then tripped out etc. The difference being it was rebooting itself rather than me switching it on and off.

The last test was to run it with the connector pulled off the Boost valve and it didn't like that at all, engine light on and limp mode all the time.

So it would appear that my MAF and Boost valve were both fubar, and the remaining question is, do I get another Boost valve ?, or do I just run it with the valve bypassed ?. Its running so fine I'm not sure that a good boost valve would make it any better :wooo:

2.0 vectra
25-08-12, 05:17 PM
it needs the boost valve to be there , otherwise there wouldn't be one there .
too much boost can cause problems ( such as dumping it into limp ) this valve regulates the boost so it works as it should .

Maxcaddy
26-08-12, 10:16 AM
If they have pointed out the valve to you, remove it and clean it with carb cleaner, thats probablyy all it needs.(-

Do you mean by dunking it, or spraying through the vacuum holes, or take it apart ?

Thanks (-.

Maxcaddy
30-08-12, 05:18 PM
So, I took it off and gave it a good washing in Carb cleaner and put it back togther again, and lo and behold the old girl's back to its old self, if not better.

Amazing the difference between full power and limp mode all through some silly sensors giving the wrong readings :doh:.

Maxcaddy
30-08-12, 10:34 PM
Well happy with the Zafira, but I sold the Cadillac on Tuesday, so after having it for 8 years I'm missing it a bit :sad:

Maxcaddy
10-09-12, 07:17 AM
Well that didn't last long :bash:

Just over a week and its found a new mode. Whereas before it was either limp or full, it now has limp, half power, and full, with half power being the usual :(

So bypassed the Boost Pressure Regulation Valve, and its back to being okay most of the time and dropping to limp occasionally.

Looks like a new Boost Valve is needed. Does it have to be exactly the same or will any Vauxhall one work as long as the electrical connections are the same ?

Ta.

Maxcaddy
10-09-12, 10:50 AM
Last week when it was in half power mode, the eml light didn't come on, and I think it would have rev'd to the limiter, but I didn't try that.

This week with the Valve bypassed, it sometimes revs well and at other times about 3,500 it cuts to limp with the eml on, if I drive easy for a few hundred yards, and the light goes out and full power is resumed.

As when in full power mode its running really good, it surely has to be a dodgy input signal from something which is sending it limp :eek:.

The last time I had anything like this was on an Audi which had an idling device that sensed engine vacuum changes due to alternator load and sped it up to compensate when a heavy load was applied like the Air Con on. That was easilt solved by plugging the vacuum take off and speeding up the tickover a little. I was hopiing there would be a similar Zafira fix.

Maxcaddy
10-09-12, 12:35 PM
No. I'll give them a dazz up tonight if it doesn't rain.

However, its not like a bad connection, its clearly associated with a sensor sending an iffy signal, which as the sensors (well most of them) are earthed to the block itself I'm not sure what I can clean, and the Boost valve isn't (seperately) earthed at all.

Anyway I will have a look (-

Maxcaddy
12-09-12, 06:23 PM
Ta Mitch, found that assuming its the one just above the radiator header tank, it was okay, but I still dazzed it up.

While under the bonnet a thought came to me :bash:.........is there a right/wrong way to connect The Turbo Boost valve as I may have it the wrong way around ?

As it currently is, the pipe from the engine goes to the centre (yellow ring) take off, and the Turbo pipe is onto the other take off which means looking at it, that they cross.

Comments ??? :D

LdnDan
17-01-14, 08:59 PM
Hi mate, I know this is a old post but did you get it sorted?
Im Having probs at the mo! :help:

cheers