PDA

View Full Version : fault code 0200 on 1998 astra

portisheaddan
30-04-08, 04:36 PM
Hi, does anyone know what the ecu fault code 0200 relates to on an S reg 1998 astra (G) I have read the fault code using the topbuzz method flashing the management light using a paper clip etc and have asked toppbuzz what it means but no reply as yet. Can anyone help?
regards,
dan

Vauxhallnutter Mark
30-04-08, 07:13 PM
Hi, does anyone know what the ecu fault code 0200 relates to on an S reg 1998 astra (G) I have read the fault code using the topbuzz method flashing the management light using a paper clip etc and have asked toppbuzz what it means but no reply as yet. Can anyone help?
regards,
dan

Dan,
Just searched around and I can find no reference to the 0200 fault code as yet. Are you sure you have the right code?

I will keep searching and post up if i find anything.

BTW its an unwritten rule to say hello in the Newbies section before asking for help! :D

portisheaddan
30-04-08, 08:45 PM
Im sure as can be, I have followed the instructions closely as per topbuzz. Done the paperclip thing and it starts flashing out 0 2 0 0. The only thing I will say is that topbuzz says the engine should be running on the simtec 56.5 to read my code (Im sure I have the simtec 56.5) - however I can only get the code sequence with just the ignition switched on (the stage before the engine starts) If I try it with the engine running ,the orange fault light will just flash constantly steadily with no sequence for ever.
I have some photos of the engine, ecu & the plug under the hand brake if you want it if it helps.
So I must assume the code 0200 is whats wrong????????????? BUT what is it
I refuse to be beat..Further I refuse to be robbed by vauxhall especially as im sure to need to buy a part from them to stop the dam car kangarooing

Help me!

portisheaddan
30-04-08, 09:02 PM
Can the codes defintely be read on this age car? 1998 new shape astra .1600cc

Vauxhallnutter Mark
01-05-08, 06:51 AM
Can the codes defintely be read on this age car? 1998 new shape astra .1600cc

The codes can be read but if your car has the 16 pin connector then the paperclip test is not the right way to do it. I dont think your car will be OBDII compliant as this didn't really come into force until 2001 so you will need a code reader thats compatible with the earlier cars and unfortunately that may mean going to vauxhall although there are now many independant garages that have the equipment and dont cost the earth so it may be worth looking around for one of those.

What area of the country are you in?

Also what is the car doing? (or not doing as the case maybe)

portisheaddan
01-05-08, 09:58 AM
Hello there. im in Portishead, nr bristol

Vauxhallnutter Mark
01-05-08, 10:27 AM
Hello there. im in Portishead, nr bristol

Unfortunatly you are at the wrong end of the country for what i was going to suggest but I think your best bet would be to try to find a garage with a code reader that can talk to your ECU. I have looked around even more and i cant find any reference to 0200 i'm afraid.

If you want to try yourself then have a look on e-bay and see if there are any suitable code readers on there but I think most are for the OBDII compliant cars which i dont think yours is.

From your previous posts i get the impression that your car is hesitating, is that correct? If it is then it could well be the throttle position sensor because that can cause simular symtoms.

Also is the engine management light coming on?

You may want to try cleaning everything up with carb and choke cleaner to see if that helps.

Squirt some down the air intake, keeping the revs up and also take off the idel control valve give that a clean and if you can take off the TPS and clean that too.

If you could be a little more specific about what the car is / is not doing then maybe I might get soe fresh idea's

portisheaddan
01-05-08, 04:52 PM
Ok there !

Right, just been up to the garage where my wife used to work and they kindly offered to plug us in to their computer(A citroen main dealer).I think he said we had a DL16? Anyway - It came up with 5 faults. 4 apparently related to the knock sensor and he was able to clear them. The fifth code is P1640 which according to topbuzz is knock control unit or quad drive module which he could not clear.I then popped around to vauxhall and they said the ecu needs replacing according to a dippy parts man,but they would say that???????? Now then, that said, the symptoms this afternoon have gone. Is it because the first four codes were cleared and the fifth is actually the knock control unit? and not the ecu or what ever a quad drive is????

The car just drives very hesitantly almost like the brakes are on all the time but usually only after say 10 minutes run time and then its permanent.(but the light is always on) If you go up a steep hill you have to floor it in second gear etc. I expect because the ignition is retarded in limp mode as the light is permenantly on~????
Does help you any more??

portisheaddan
01-05-08, 04:54 PM
BTW - I have no idea what the code 0200 is that I was able to obtain from the paperclip method? ??? That was a waste of time for me

chrisgsi_23
05-05-08, 08:46 PM
BTW - I have no idea what the code 0200 is that I was able to obtain from the paperclip method? ??? That was a waste of time for me

PM Sparke and speak to him.. I'm sure he will be able to help you out he very clever with codes