PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code 3 Anyone know what it means

cameron66
13-06-09, 09:11 PM
Beside all the other issues I have with my new Insignia, Tonight its been displaying 'Code 3' on the display, something connected with the engine I suspect, as it seemed to hesitate and IMO has not been running right since receiving the car. I was just curious to know what Code 3 was. ?

For some reason I thought it gave a list of the error codes in the manual, but it seems not.

I have certainly seen them listed somewhere recently, but cannot remember where, and would have thought I would have saved them to h/drive if I had.

It goes in on Monday to the dealer for all the other annoyances, so one more fault to add to the list.

cameron66
13-06-09, 09:33 PM
Well to answer my own question, It was in the manual afterall where I had seen the code list, its actually from page 92.

It seems Code 3 is 'Engine Coolant Level Low' so it looks like it just a needs a drop of water adding, will check it tomorrow in daylight. So not anything drastic anyway. :)

bud1970
13-06-09, 09:57 PM
i know if i bought a new car and had lots of issues with it i'd be driving the car back to the dealers to drive the bl**dy thing up his ar*e.

cameron66
13-06-09, 10:52 PM
Its still odd that it needs topping up so soon but glad you have found fault.:):)
I would ask them to look for leaks on monday.;);)

Yes... a valid point, I did notice a few days ago when under the bonnet, that the coolant level was about .25" below the centre line, but would'nt have thought it anywhere near lower enough to trigger a code, and the level does rise slightly when warmed up anyway. I shall take a look tomorrow in good light as it was quite late when we returned home this evening. AYS it may have a slight leak, I'll see if its dropped below that .25" mark when cold.

cameron66
14-06-09, 12:07 PM
Checked the coolant level this morning and its exactly the same, about 1/8" below centre (cold), so may be a sensor issue. Something else for them to check out when it's in tormorrow. I dont think there's any coolant leak problem.

OT.
Anyone know where they plug the Tech-2 equipment into the Insignia, ? it used to be under the ashtray on previous models, but its no longer in that position, so I dont know where they have moved it to.

I have a code reader which I used to use on the vec-c to check if any error codes had been logged etc. May be useful at some point in the future if I can find out where to plug it in...lol

vauxvet
15-06-09, 01:53 PM
Has it been moved back to where it was on the vec-b?? Under the handbrake (if you have one), Possibly under the drivers side dashboard??:confused::confused:

Yea it's under the drivers side dash if you just look above the pedals you'll see it. it's not Tech 2 now, but don't ask me what it is!!

Rossey
15-06-09, 02:08 PM
Yea it's under the drivers side dash if you just look above the pedals you'll see it. it's not Tech 2 now, but don't ask me what it is!!

is it 16 pin?
if so its OBD2

cameron66
15-06-09, 05:37 PM
It's amazing I never spotted it.:D

Yes it is a 16 pin socket, though only 8 pins are present. ie. 4 either side.

cameron66
15-06-09, 05:59 PM
When I picked my car up this afternoon I was surprised to hear that no fault codes had been found. ie. (none stored)

It definately came on showing CODE 3, when it came up on the display that's all that gets displayed, all mileage info is not shown when a code message is shown, however it only stayed on for a short time before reverting back to normal display.
Code 3 is 'Low coolant Level' and thinking about it, both times it came up on the display I was climbing a hill, so the angle of the car probably made it come on, I've since added a cupful of distilled water to bring the level smack on the centre line, so that should stop it coming on again up hills. It's obviously just a warning message, and is not stored.

I have just tried plugging in my el-cheapo U480 OBDII code reader and it works fine, and states that indeed No Codes Stored.

nrg
21-06-09, 08:28 AM
Hi Cam

Sorry I have posted relating to this code 3 fault, I had teh same type of thing but not saying a code on my display when pushing teh car hard.

"Water Coolant level Low"

So I did just put in some water cause it was below the line with a little more coolant. never seen the prompt again...i think its a good thing that these come up.

Steve