PDA

View Full Version : 1.8VVT users. Hows your MPG

cameron66
16-06-09, 10:53 PM
Just wondered what other 1.8VVT users are getting to a tank.

Car has now done about 800 miles, so I assume it will improve a little over the next few hundred miles.
I got about 440 miles out of this last tankful, though it wastnt quite filled to the brim, (just filled until pump cut out for first time) and the computer said it still had 44 miles on the range display. Though the Yellow fuel lamp was lit, and gauge almost at the end. Did'nt want to risk running out..lol

Thats pretty much all local urban driving, with mostly less than 25mile local runs, its not been on the motorway yet. Average MPG is starting to rise slowly, currently at 32.9, was showing 28.2 when I first had the car.

I know most of you are running diesels, though I think a couple of you do have the 1.8. petrol. What sort of milage are you getting from your's. ?

Mr Elite
17-06-09, 01:47 PM
Hi
I have now done 1800 miles (under 2 weeks) on CDTI 2.0 (160) and that is giving me 600miles to a tank @ 40mpg.
My old Vectra CDTI (150) (18months old) 75000 miles average total was 49mpg and averaged 560 miles to a tank.
The Vectra held 60ltrs and the Insignia seems to hold 65ltrs - now something here does not add up! :rolleyes:
I hope to get better figures after 10-20k miles when things have loosened up a bit.

cameron66
17-06-09, 04:12 PM
I used to get good MPG out of my old 56 plate vec-c 150 too, always got over 600 miles to a tank of fuel on long runs, and even local use it only went down to around 560.
The tank on the Insignia is actually 70-ltr compared to the vec-c's 60ltr.

Hopefully my mpg will improve a little too once its got a few miles on it.

Happy42
17-06-09, 08:31 PM
Hi Guys,

It does get better, I have the 2.0ltr 160 Diesel and getting 51mpg and got nearly 5k on clock after 5wks.

Leaving car in cruise when I can, must test the mpg by driving a long distance and leaving on manual. Computer shows around 680 miles when filled.

Cheers :D

sofuse
24-06-09, 12:00 PM
3500 miles in my 1.8 Exclusiv and my average is about 33mpg which is very disappointing. My previous Vectra with the same engine averaged 40mpg.

I blame the gearbox which has fifth and six ratios that you are regularly switching between and overtaking really means you have to change down to fifth.

cameron66
25-06-09, 10:39 AM
3500 miles in my 1.8 Exclusiv and my average is about 33mpg which is very disappointing. My previous Vectra with the same engine averaged 40mpg.

I blame the gearbox which has fifth and six ratios that you are regularly switching between and overtaking really means you have to change down to fifth.

Mines currently showing a average MPG of 31.4, and I would consider myself have a light foot, and drive in a manner which should return favourable MPG figures or at least I thought I did. Car is currently on 1050 miles, and was showing 28.2mpg when I first got it. It is starting to climb slightly higher as I do more miles in it, so it is indeed a big drop from my previous 1.9cdti vec-c.
Currently get about 430-440 miles out of full tank.

I suppose just over 1.6 tons in weight is quite a lot for a 1.8 engine, I've still not been on a long motorway run yet, so I'm hoping it will improve a little more. I just did'nt fancy the noise of another diesel car, though TBH it appears VX have not been overly generous with the amount of sound deadening material they have used on these models. One would have expected a car of this size to have been almost silent on the road. Its obviously not noisy, but not as quiet as I thought it may be, and the diesels seem even noisier than my old vec-c was. Maybe me just expecting too much.... I hate noise, a perfect car to me is one that is totally silent..LOL

Happy42
25-06-09, 04:47 PM
Hi mate :)

Yeah you definatley know its a Diesel but I must be getting used to it ;)

BMW series 5 was the most sound proofed car I've driven - used to have to check the revs to see if the engine was still on !! :eek::eek:

Cheers :)

cameron66
25-06-09, 05:05 PM
Yes the BMW's are pretty quiet, my sons previous Merc 320 was also very quiet indeed for a diesel, though he has just recently treated himself to a BMW 3.0lltr M-Sports or something like that, its a twin turbo petrol hard-top convertible. I drove it a couple of weeks ago and its very nice indeed, a lot of money though, more than I can justify spending on a car.

Happy42
25-06-09, 05:15 PM
Yip, agree with you there, Insignia was a lot of money but the BMW well !!

Very nice car indeed for your son, nice spec on it too, a friend of mine has an old M5 - fastest car I've ever sat in, has just over 500bhp and goes like a rocket - mind you so does the fuel guage !!;)

Cheers :)

aongoren2
26-06-09, 06:02 AM
as I am living in Turkey, we are not using the same measurements so can anybody tell me how many kilometers you can go with a full tank?
my car is 180 hp turbo model and I can ride 650 km with a full tank (70 lt)

and please welcome to visit our web site:

http://opelinsigniaclub.wordpress.com/

cavmk3 td
26-06-09, 06:58 AM
I would say thats not good tbh:( works out just over 400 miles.

70 ltrs = 15.4 gallons so its not doing 30 miles to a gallon (50km):eek::eek:

wish i could get that outta my tank lol

cavmk3 td
26-06-09, 07:03 AM
oh lol thought it was a petrol turbo sorry

aongoren2
26-06-09, 07:28 AM
I have just calculate it to MPG and it makes 27.16 MPG
do you think it is bad really? it is turbo version with 180 hp...

edit: wrong calculation.

aongoren2
26-06-09, 07:37 AM
what kind of fuel do you use folks? I mean 95 octane or 97 or 100?

cavmk3 td
26-06-09, 07:39 AM
i use tesco finest 99ron but thats in a volvo and im lucky to see 22 mpg on a long run lol

stephenRT
26-06-09, 03:27 PM
Re: 1.8VVT for the first 1500 miles as low as 22Mpg now Its run in more and with the help of a can of STP its more like 24Mpg but its the way I drive it, We find u must to keep the revs up on pulling away, While it pulls well at low revs when I need to get going I use all 6000+ rpm, do u get a VVT blip at 4000RPM, can see 30-35mpg when I use cruise control at 80mph, for me its about the fun it is to drive not MPG, will reset the MPG reading 2 day

stephenRT
10-07-09, 02:14 PM
I have just calculate it to MPG and it makes 27.16 MPG
do you think it is bad really? it is turbo version with 180 hp...

edit: wrong calculation.

Hi If its a Insignia 1.8vvt there is no need to calculate it the car has MPG now, MPG trip / reset, ave trip speed and more, even in KPG if you leave the UK its on your left stick

cameron66
17-07-09, 05:44 PM
My 1.8vvt seems to be returning a slightly better figure now its starting to get a few miles on it (Now 2100) After a recent run its now showing 34.6 mpg so its starting to get a little better. Thats was a mixture of town and distance 70-75mph motorway driving including a 40mins traffic jam on the M1, so overall not too bad at all. :)

joemailey
17-07-09, 07:44 PM
I have got 410 - 415miles out of my last full tank. whilst driving properly.
that was my tank that just finished today.
Nearly hitting 5000 miles on my clock. So The miles out of full tank have increased from average of 375 to average of 400-415.

roughly 28-30mpg.

cameron66
17-07-09, 10:51 PM
I have got 410 - 415miles out of my last full tank. whilst driving properly.
that was my tank that just finished today.
Nearly hitting 5000 miles on my clock. So The miles out of full tank have increased from average of 375 to average of 400-415.

roughly 28-30mpg.

Thats worse than my 1.8vvt Insignia. :confused: Having filled the tank full prior to driving North of the country on holiday, I refilled well after the fuel light came on, and the milage trip was showing 474 miles. The range milage remaining was 24 miles.
So it would appear that at a push I could get a genuine 500 miles out of a full tank of petrol on a run, assuming there was indeed 24 miles worth of petrol left in the car which I did'nt fancy testing as the needle was right at the bottom of the red part of the gauge.

Prior to this last long run, over the last few weeks I was getting roughly 435 miles for local use but the computer was showing around 45 to 50 miles range left.
So in my case, the figures are not too bad.

enzo
18-07-09, 02:47 AM
im getting mid 20s in my 1.8 inisgina hire car but that might be something down to the fact of my leadfooted driving style and that fuel is free.

-)

insignia-enthusiast.org (http://insignia-enthusiast.org)

sofuse
18-07-09, 06:24 PM
Done over 4000 miles now in my Exclusiv and averaged 33.5mpg with a best of about 35mpg. Can't seem to sqeeze any more out of it and I'm pretty light-footed.
In connection with fuel, well kind of, the solenoid for my fuel filler flap is to be replaced. It was only releasing the flap after much pressing of the key.

cameron66
18-07-09, 06:32 PM
Done over 4000 miles now in my Exclusiv and averaged 33.5mpg with a best of about 35mpg. Can't seem to sqeeze any more out of it and I'm pretty light-footed.
In connection with fuel, well kind of, the solenoid for my fuel filler flap is to be replaced. It was only releasing the flap after much pressing of the key.

I think your fuel figures are about as good as we can expect from the 1.8, without dropping our distance motorway speeds down quite a bit.
Touch wood I've had no issues with filler flap so far...LOL

Do you get any creaking from your centre console. ?

sofuse
18-07-09, 08:34 PM

No creaking from my centre console, but a rattle from the rear nearside door. Sounds to me as if it's coming from the window winder mechanism.

Garage had my car the other day, hence the fuel flap diagnosis, but failed to hear the noise.

Also failed to hear the starter motor noise, so I'll have to wait till it: (a) gets worse (b) disappears or (c) drops off!

martin99
18-07-09, 08:51 PM
Drops off :eek:

nrg
19-07-09, 08:15 AM

I do. And its ****** annoying. This happens a lot when i go around corners and my leg leans up against the side of teh console. Any ideas on how to stop it creaking?

cameron66
19-07-09, 09:31 AM
I do. And its ****** annoying. This happens a lot when i go around corners and my leg leans up against the side of teh console. Any ideas on how to stop it creaking?

Yes.. same here, it creaks on every bend or uneven roads etc. You can hear the creaking by just pressing slightly on the centre console. Not good at all.

The only way to fix it is to remove the facing panels and side panels, and put a thin strip of felt or foam, like a soft thin draught exluder type material near the edges so it stops the rubbing.
I had to do this on my old Vec-c, and it took me quite a while to stop all the little creaks, but it was worth it. I hate noises like this... Silence is golden.

I've not attempted to remove any of the panels as yet, but assume they all just pull off, same as the vec. IME this is one of those jobs that will rarely get fixed properly at the dealers as it can take quite a bit time and patience to resolve.

I've noticed quite a few owners on german Insignia forums have also been experiencing creaking noises from the centre console.

There's a discussion regarding this issue with some info here.

http://www.insignia-enthusiast.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25

Melbury
22-02-10, 04:40 PM
I have the 1.8 petrol saloon but dont recall any remote operation of the fuel flap.
It is the exclusiv model and I have been simply opening it manually.
Am I wrong about this or is it just a gimmick anyway.
I have the car a year and never noticed that

svpworld
01-03-10, 01:09 PM
My 160 cdti has now covered 19000 miles and the best I've had from a tank is 57.8 mpg using Shell Diesel which I think equated close to 900 miles from a tank. I've noticed that V power has always resulted in worse economy than even Tesco diesel, strange.... Always prefer to put ordinary shell in the tank now.

mitch1408
03-03-10, 06:58 PM
57.8?? thats pretty awesome! Im only getting around 44 at the moment and using tesco diesel. (however it went down to 35 when it was in the garage last week!! Think someone had some fun at my expense!!) Im definately going to give Shell a go now! If you dont mind me asking, how fast do you drive and how much of your driving is motorway?

I cruise at 80mph and over 95% of my driving is on the motorway but only get 44.

Happy42
04-03-10, 01:50 PM
Hi,

Best I've had is 62mpg on a long motorway run. Cruised around 60-65mph

on average I'm getting 44-45mpg.
Just had my first service still original tyres and 24k on the clock :)

I use both BP and Tesco Diesel.

Cheers

simonrh
05-03-10, 01:43 PM
My 160 CDTi is still pretty fresh at 5k miles, getting 41 in mixed driving and 43 on a run at the moment. Cruising at 75-80. Haven't done more than probably 300 miles in 1 stint yet per tank though to find out how far it could really go.

Adding up trip and range figures gives a normal range over the course of tank of 610-640 miles. Usually end up putting about 67 litres if run it right down.

Do you get the idea that vauxhall couldn't calibrate the bottom fo the fuel sender very well? When you start going really low on fuel you can't clear the "low fuel" messgae to see what the range is. eg they didn't want to show you anything less than 25 miles remaining in case you ran it all the way to zero and they were a bit out on the calibration.

mitch1408
05-03-10, 01:59 PM
HAHAHA yeah mine is the same. Stupidly on my very first tank when it got to about 25 miles then wouldnt go off I decided I would drive home anyway, despite it being about 40 miles away! I made it and still only put 70 litres in. Its an 80 litre tank (i think) so there is still a massive ammount in reserve!

simonrh
05-03-10, 03:07 PM
If you wan't to scare yourself, google "insignia" and "70 litre" and find out how close to running out you were!

mitch1408
05-03-10, 03:17 PM
WOW, Was on fumes then! ooops. Think I may have got confused with 80 litres and the fact it costs £80 to fill!!