PDA

View Full Version : Just fitted some Philips Extreme +80% Bulbs

cameron66
21-06-09, 10:05 AM
I fitted a some of the Philips Extreme +80% xenon bulbs to my old vec-c and they did make quite a improvment to the lights on that car, so thought I would fit some to the Insignia too.

Though in fairness the headlights on the Insignia are a little better than those on the Vec, especially the dipped lights which were quite poor on the Vec-c, these bulbs still make a good improvment over the standard Halogen lamps that VX fit to the basic models.

Bulbs are H7 type BTW.

martin99
21-06-09, 03:48 PM
Cost?

Ease of fitting?

cameron66
21-06-09, 03:58 PM
Cost?

Ease of fitting?

£21.95 a pair. (free postage) Ebay. They are far easier to fit than they were on the Vec-c, those were really awkward due to lack of space especially on the drivers side.
I dont know about the larger diesel engines, but as mine is just the 1.8 there is quite a lot of space inside the engine bay, and managed to do it without knocking my hands up this time. Improvment to the lights is definately noticable. I fitted a set of these to the Vec, and the difference was well worth the small cost and short time to fit them. Though only worth considering if you have the standard Halogens of course.

Took me about 10 mins to do.

cameron66
23-06-09, 12:57 PM
I notice in my first post above that I only mentioned H7 bulbs. So thought I'd better mention that H7 are for the outer Dipped lamps.

The inner main beam lamps are H1, which I fitted +90% Osram Nightbreakers. (Philips dont do the Extreme +80% in H1 Type, only H7 & H4))

Dipped = H7
Main beam = H1

I did'nt want anyone ordering 2 sets of H7 lamps..lol

Dipped: Drivers side.
Fitting is quite simple, after removing the covers by twisting ant-clockwise, it says in the book that you twist the dipped bulb holder ant-clockwise to remove, but mine would'nt budge, however if you slacken the small torx screw (only one thats accessible, its actually clamping the holder in place) it will then turn okay. I removed the airbox to give me more room to see what was going on, (airbox just pulls off) should not be necessary next time...lol

Main Beam: Drivers Side.
Remove the cover, and bulb is held in by the usual spring, dead simple.

Passenger Side:
Is fairly easy, just pull up the water bottle filler and remove,

Tip:
If you find when inserting the new dipped bulb that it does'nt want to turn clockwise to hold in place, get your fingers over the back and press down further so the clip goes under the torx screw head at the back, bit awkward as its right at the back, and not easily visible, especially on the passenger side. (Had to do this on my passenger side)

HTH for anyone upgrading their bulbs from the standard lamps.

PhilCavy
23-06-09, 01:45 PM
I take it these bulbs are okay with regards to the amount of juice they use compared to standard?

Also, it amused me that this thread was started on the longest day. :D

NovalutionGSi
23-06-09, 01:55 PM
Plus are there road legal?

i have noticed that Halfords to verious blubs like their 110w rally blubs are not road legal.

glad you meantioned H4s though as i need a new set for the Corsa.
how long do these last for?

cameron66
23-06-09, 03:32 PM
They are 55w the same as the originals, and yes they are CE marked and 100% legal. They are the same as the original bulbs but give out a brighter light.

I fitted a set to my old Vec-c and they were on for a couple of years before I switched to Insignia's. Most people seem to get a couple of years out of them, depends how much night driving you do I suppose. I do quite a lot of night driving so I considered it worthwhile based on my experience with the Vec-c. The standard dipped lights on the Vec-c were abysmal, mainly due to the fact they were projectors, changing the bulbs did make them much better, I'm pleased to say that VX have stopped using those projectors and reverted back to standard lamp housings which work better IMO, especially if you put some decent bulbs in.

According to the Philips and Osram sites they are safe with plastic lens lamps.
Certainly had no issues on the Vec-c anyway.

The original bulbs on the Insignia are Philips bulbs, these are just brighter, and more expensive than what VX fit as standard.

iangte
23-06-09, 04:37 PM
there good bulbs fitted bosch white light bulbs to the nova made a whole heap of difference in the dark. (-

NovalutionGSi
24-06-09, 07:47 AM
Aye, i have sets of SUper brilliance from Halfords which seem to be good but i think i might get some of these to convert!

cameron66
25-06-09, 01:05 PM
Only problem with fitting the white upgraded bulbs is that it makes the side light/running lamps look even more yellow, and I mean it looks very YELLOW indeed now!.

So I've been looking to get a whiter looking replacement for that too.

The sidelight bulb is not like anything I've seen on VX cars before, its a large push in type wedge bulb, which has 2 filaments, one being 21watt the other 5watt. The 21watt being used for the daylight running lights obviously.
These are more commonly used on a few cars/bikes for rear light and brake lights.

At least on this Insignia 1.8 its a doddle to change the lamps, no scrapes on hands whatsoever, and its quick to do too. First plus thing I think I've said about the Insignia so far...LOL

martin99
17-07-09, 03:01 PM
Just fitted the Osram Extreme + 90% and white running lights and found that the washer bottle has a detachable neck from main bottle makes the swap over so much easier. (-:cool:

Does anybody have the bulb type/numbers for the rear as the manual doesn't list them and you have to strip down the light assembly to get to the bulbs :eek: