PDA

View Full Version : Number Plate generation

essixash
05-07-09, 08:49 PM
This may sound ridiculous, but its the first time ive ordered a brand new car lol. My Insignia is still not due for a couple more months :( but at the time of ordering they hadnt given me any details of what the new reg plate would be. They said a more detailed letter would be sent with all that "at a later date" just wondered, how soon before u usually take delivery of a new car do they let you know what the plate will be? Wondering when to expect the next letter, seeing as the last thing i got was the order confirmation and thats all coffee and beer stained now where i keep re-reading it so often lol

cameron66
05-07-09, 10:32 PM
Usually about 1 week before you take delivery they will give the registration details, though it can vary depending on the dealer, sometimes it may be longer than a week when your notified.

They will also give you a code with details how to take advantage and use Vauxhalls free 7 day Insurance scheme, which basically involves just logging into their site, and entering your details. Vauxhall then send the 7-day insurance cover direct to the dealer so they can tax your car. (they also post details of this to you also) I used this myself this time around.
It's a good idea, and costs nothing, it also gives you time to arrange your own insurance changeover with your own insurance company who will arrange their cover from when the vx cover expires after the 7-days. (Note you can only have one insurance cover running at a time)

Hope you enjoy your new car when it arrives.:)

cameron66
05-07-09, 11:28 PM
Sometimes they do, AYS they certainly used to do this, but with this new one, and the previous one I was only notified just over a week before I picked it up. Probably varies from dealer to dealer.

I had a choice from half a dozen plates when I had the Vectra-c, but not offered a alternative this time, though in fairness I did'nt ask if he had any others as I was quite happy with the Reg given. I had already told him to make sure the Reg was nothing stupid like BK09 CAC / TIT or whatever...lol
The dealer could well have had several other plates I could have chosen from.

I would think they are still issued small blocks of Reg numbers, but I believe there is a time limit how long they can hold them for. ie. they have to be registered to a car within a set period.

In my case with this Insignia he said he would let me know the Reg details when he had them, which was about a week or just over, before I received the car.

icemann3016
06-07-09, 12:00 AM
Why is this so complicated. Take as an example my number: PB 3141 MA. 1st 2 letters depend of administrative district PB stands for Plovdiv C/CA/CO is for Sofia City and District. B is for Varna and etc. the numbers follow from 0001 to 9999 as numbers with pairs or inverted or 4 identical / 1441, 2244, 7777 etc./ are paid more. And the last 1/2 letters are followed again from the alphabet and only use of identical letters in latin cyrillic are used: ABCEHKMNOPT..... and numbers begin like PB 0001 A to PB 9999 A then with B and when is over they combine AA AB AC... Mine is MA and follows MB MC.. So thats it :)

I dunno why i wrote the post. Maybe i was inspired by the complicated way of having a number in GB but as i threw a look on what i wrote i think is not easy to understand bulgarian numbers too. I hope its gonna be interesting for some of you :)

icemann3016
06-07-09, 08:15 AM
But what differs each car`s number?

essixash
06-07-09, 08:24 AM
But what differs each car`s number?

well for instance my car registration is EX55VHC (I dont care about posting it im selling it next month) lol

the EX is also down to where in the country it is registered. E for the county of Essex and the second letter, the 'X' is just down to the office it was registered.

the last three letters are also random so mine is VHC so it would then follow VHD VHE VHF etc

the numbers explain the age of the car. 55 indicates that it was registered on or after September the 1st 2005. We have a new number every 6 months on the 1st of March then again on the 1st of September. 02, 03, 04, 05 etc are 1st of March onwards, so 02 is March 2002 onwards, 03 is march 2003 onwards etc, then on the 1st of September we have 52, 53, 54, 55 etc so 52 is September 1st 2002 onwards, 53 is Sepember 1st 2003 onwards etc, can be quite confusing lol

icemann3016
16-07-09, 11:50 PM
So that`s why on Top Gear they had an SLR McLaren with reg X 55 SLR. And on Vodafone commercials with Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen where they were driving cabs they had numbers ending at HAM and KOV. That`s cool to choose. In Bulgaria if you want custom number like mine PB 3141 MA ( which is from the cheapest ones) you pay different value. For mine you pay 50 Euro additional. If you want pairs like PB 3131 MA you have to pay 150 Euro. Same price is for inverted numbers like PB 3113 MA and with 3 similar like 3331 or 3133 or 3313. My Astra F had PB 7717 XB :P. If you want 4 same like PB 3333 MA you pay 300 Euro. For having a number with 6 digits and no end letters like PB 333333 you pay 3000 Euro and for custom number with 6 letters/digits (there is only one i know its PB BAHKO1- owner of a hotel group in my town) you pay 5000 Euro and you can type whatever u want if u use letters similar in cyrilic and latin and up to 6 characters. What i`ve thought as an option is like PB BEKTPA witch is the cyrilic name for Vectra :)