PDA

View Full Version : Insignia "Hot Wash"

thermalactivity
08-07-09, 01:36 PM
Hi All

Im a newbie who is waiting patiently for his Black Sapphire Insignia Sri NAV 160 CDTi Hatchback with 20" 5 Double spoke alloys to be delivered on October 1st grrrrrrrrr!
What Id like to know is when I got the first Insignia Brochure last January it stated that every model had a "Hot Wash" button on the wiper stalk, where a hot squirt of screenwash cleared the windscreen. Since the new version of the brochure came out it hasnt been mentioned anywhere! Is this still fitted as standard or did they drop it from the range?

Also, a question about the USB and AUX IN connection under the drivers armrest. Would I be able to connect my Nokia N95 8GB mobile phone to the AUX IN headphone socket and then via a mini USB to normal USB cable to the USB socket in the car and then be able to play the music I have on my phone through the head unit?

Cheers Jair

bud1970
08-07-09, 02:17 PM
here you go matey.:D2554

joemailey
08-07-09, 02:30 PM
Hi All

Im a newbie who is waiting patiently for his Black Sapphire Insignia Sri NAV 160 CDTi Hatchback with 20" 5 Double spoke alloys to be delivered on October 1st grrrrrrrrr!
What Id like to know is when I got the first Insignia Brochure last January it stated that every model had a "Hot Wash" button on the wiper stalk, where a hot squirt of screenwash cleared the windscreen. Since the new version of the brochure came out it hasnt been mentioned anywhere! Is this still fitted as standard or did they drop it from the range?

Also, a question about the USB and AUX IN connection under the drivers armrest. Would I be able to connect my Nokia N95 8GB mobile phone to the AUX IN headphone socket and then via a mini USB to normal USB cable to the USB socket in the car and then be able to play the music I have on my phone through the head unit?

Cheers Jair

My model doesn't have hot wash button. Never ever heard of hot wash button.

Providing the nokia phone as a 3.5 mm headphone socket you will be able to play music via the AUX in port(which is also 3.5MM headphone socket.)

As for the USB port I'm not sure what that will do. might charge your phone :) But don't think it will let it play music.

thermalactivity
08-07-09, 02:40 PM
My model doesn't have hot wash button. Never ever heard of hot wash button.
Providing the nokia phone as a 3.5 mm headphone socket you will be able to play music via the AUX in port(which is also 3.5MM headphone socket.)
As for the USB port I'm not sure what that will do. might charge your phone :) But don't think it will let it play music.

read half way down the write up
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/225621/321_blastoff_for_hot_insignia.html
and if i knew how to put photos on here i would take a photo of the official insignia brochure which mentioned it! ive just found the brochure and its called "Hot Shot" and it had a whole page all about this one feature!

was maybe hoping the connection of the USB to my phone would provide support to the steering wheel stereo controls so i could skip tracks/albums on it? or is this just supported to official ipods?

joemailey
08-07-09, 02:44 PM
Not sure about the USB port as I only have Aux In. Guess it might work. But I have a feeling it may only support iPods maybe. So not sure.

Wonder if the heated windscreen wash is just default on all cars?
I no there is no button you push for it anyway. just pull the stalk towards yourself like you do with any other car.

Never checked the water to see if it was hot :p

Gorfinkle
08-07-09, 02:49 PM
only one way to find out, plug an iPod in and see what happens :D

thermalactivity
08-07-09, 02:58 PM
here you go - the brochure was published in july 2008.

cameron66
08-07-09, 03:44 PM
Not sure about the USB port as I only have Aux In. Guess it might work. But I have a feeling it may only support iPods maybe. So not sure.

Wonder if the heated windscreen wash is just default on all cars?
I no there is no button you push for it anyway. just pull the stalk towards yourself like you do with any other car.

Never checked the water to see if it was hot :p

Same here... the Aux in will work with any MP3 player or anything else that you wish to amplify and receive the sound through the in-car speaker system.
No different to a simple Aux in on a Hi-fi system or whatever.
You just need a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo lead. Only thing you can control from the actual car is the volume level, everything else such as turning the MP3 player or Ipod on, selecting tracks will have to be done manually on the Mp3 player itself.

I just burn a load of MP3 songs to a CD and use that, which gives full control of all the functions of course is probably better than using just the Aux In.
Shame they did'nt include the USB socket on all of them, that would have been worth having.

I don't think a proper third party IPOD adapter interface has been released for the Insignia as yet, which would allow you to control a Ipod from your cars controls including auto power on/off.

Re. The Hot Shot washers, this is a new one on me, like you, I dont have any button for operating it. Not seen any mention of it in the manual.

The manual does however mention loads of things I should have, but dont have..LOL (as we all know) :(

On a plus note:
Touch wood mine seems to be running better as I get some miles on it.:)

thermalactivity
08-07-09, 04:00 PM
I just burn a load of MP3 songs to a CD and use that, which gives full control of all the functions of course is probably better than using just the Aux In. Shame they did'nt include the USB socket on all of them, that would have been worth having.

Ive ordered the Sri NAV version so it comes with a DVD reading player and also the USB connector. Ive read that you can burn mp3's onto DVD discs instead of CD's and it will play them so instead of around 10 albums per CD you could put around 100 albums on a DVD! Can someone please confirm this?
I dont get my car until October 1st so im only reading forums/rumours at present!!!

jackrs
08-07-09, 05:06 PM
I was told on the insignia course that Hot wash or Hot shot would be deleted on production models.

And yes you can connect an n95 via a usb cable and select the tracks via the radio or stearing controls. It just acts as a mass storage device.

Gorfinkle
08-07-09, 05:27 PM
Ive ordered the Sri NAV version so it comes with a DVD reading player and also the USB connector. Ive read that you can burn mp3's onto DVD discs instead of CD's and it will play them so instead of around 10 albums per CD you could put around 100 albums on a DVD! Can someone please confirm this?
I dont get my car until October 1st so im only reading forums/rumours at present!!!

If the Sri NAV plays mp3, then you should be ok to play mp3's fom DVD as long as you burn the disc as a data disc.

cameron66
08-07-09, 05:28 PM

Yes, you will be able to store probably more MP3 songs that you will ever need. There may be some resrictions on how many song titles you can have at a time in a folder, depending what the file structure is like that they have used. Note thats its just a standard DVD ISO format, it cannot play Mpeg4 files or movies, etc. Apparently some users thought it may.

I have around 200 mp3 songs on my standard unit, and would think you would be struggling to fill a DVD with MP3 songs unless you have a massive collection.
However, I think I would be having a play with that USB, and try storing my songs on a pen-drive, especially if you can control it from the cars audio controls.
ie. No moving parts, so no wear n tear on the DVD player. Certainlly worth exploring.

stephen florida
09-07-09, 08:18 PM
Back to the hot wash

Hello
I have just ordered an Insignia because I thought the car had this Hot shot
, my previous car a mondeo had heated front windscreen brilliant. And this Hot shot was almost as good, but checking on the internet, GM have had technical and safety issues with it and are suing the manufacture of this device, hence it not on the new insignia

steve

thermalactivity
11-07-09, 11:01 AM
Oh well it was a nice idea when I first saw the "Hot Shot" in the first released brochure last year though I dont mind getting my hands cold scraping ice for a couple of minutes!

Im not sure that you can control a USB stick with the Steering Wheel controls as it states in the manual that this can only be done using an ipod or similar mp3 player? Hopefully someone will prove this not to be the case as id much prefer to just leave a large capacity USB stick in the car than a shiny ipod!!

Melbury
14-07-09, 04:55 PM
here you go - the brochure was published in july 2008.

:confused: Not sure if I've got Hot-wash or not, definately no button on end of stalk. Mine is a 1.8 exclusiv and so far I've not seen any steam rising off the washer so winter will tell. Point is, a lot of stuff in the manual is not made clear as to which model it applies:confused:
Some stuff is not standard on even the Elite.
Having previously had a Vectra Exclusiv I presumed I would get a DAB radio but on originally studying the brochure I did not know what the CD300 radio
was. Well there we are, all is not as it seems and we are on the learning curve but those that follow if they read all this stuff, will make a more careful decision.

Happy42
14-07-09, 05:42 PM
Hi Folk's,

Yip you can control the USB stick from steering wheel :)

I have the elite and all me songs on a mem stick :D

I actually rarely use the cd player now.

Cheers :)

enzo
14-07-09, 07:40 PM
memory sticks are the way forward,

cds will be obsalete soon

thermalactivity
15-07-09, 03:13 PM
Yip you can control the USB stick from steering wheel

Assuming you have the Nav version do all the song/album titles appear on the screen in the dash?

icemann3016
16-07-09, 07:40 AM
I think i shall have to look at the audio's on these, be a nice upgrde into my vec, using mem sticks.:cool::cool::cool::)

I think you can`t upgrade because the radio/nav box itself has no front panel. You have to attach the Insignia`s one which definitely won`t fit at your vec.

Cheers

aongoren2
16-07-09, 09:30 AM
:confused: Not sure if I've got Hot-wash or not, definately no button on end of stalk. Mine is a 1.8 exclusiv and so far I've not seen any steam rising off the washer so winter will tell. Point is, a lot of stuff in the manual is not made clear as to which model it applies:confused:
Some stuff is not standard on even the Elite.
Having previously had a Vectra Exclusiv I presumed I would get a DAB radio but on originally studying the brochure I did not know what the CD300 radio
was. Well there we are, all is not as it seems and we are on the learning curve but those that follow if they read all this stuff, will make a more careful decision.

this system may be just work below zero temperatures. so wait and see.

stephen florida
16-07-09, 09:52 AM
The system was on the orginal spec was was removed by GM due to techical problems in America.

steve

stephen florida
17-07-09, 06:57 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/08/gm-drops-hotshot-windshield-washer-system-after-expensive-recall/

see the link above

steve
www.bookmyvilla.com

stephen florida
17-07-09, 07:07 AM
Why can'nt GM have a front heated windscreen like they have on a ford?
When I had a Mondeo, that was the best bit on the car.

steve
www.bookmyvilla.com

SimonIG10
24-07-09, 06:23 AM
USB mem sticks work well. I have a 4Gb in mine and you can control the songs via the display in folder format. Dont buy one which is very long as the lid will not close on the arm rest. I have a Sony MP3 player and it is not compatible. Only Ipods and mem sticks I think. Mine does have a 'funny five minutes' every now and again and I need to remove the stick and reinsert which seems to sort it. I have also noticed that recently on power off, it goes back to the first track on the stick. I wonder if I just have too many tracks on the stick and it cant buffer everything to the car. Not even used the CD as the USB works so well.

Gorfinkle
24-07-09, 06:31 AM
USB mem sticks work well. I have a 4Gb in mine and you can control the songs via the display in folder format. Dont buy one which is very long as the lid will not close on the arm rest. I have a Sony MP3 player and it is not compatible. Only Ipods and mem sticks I think. Mine does have a 'funny five minutes' every now and again and I need to remove the stick and reinsert which seems to sort it. I have also noticed that recently on power off, it goes back to the first track on the stick. I wonder if I just have too many tracks on the stick and it cant buffer everything to the car. Not even used the CD as the USB works so well.

The memory stick is fine, you can never have to many songs on it, as for the head unit bufferening songs, they don't do that, they read straight fom the stick. As for powering off and the tracks going back to track 1, try pauseing the track, switch the head unit off, then switch the engine off. I have to do that as sometimes my ipod will do that.