PDA

View Full Version : 1.8vvt AirBox Front Support Broken Off. + Pics

cameron66
11-07-09, 05:57 PM
I gave my car a good clean today in preparation for starting off on Holiday 6am in the morning. When I checked under the bonnet to top up washer bottle, and give a quick wipe round in there I noticed that a chunk of the airbox bracket which holds the front Airbox mount grommet has completely sheered off.
Its a allow di-casting and part of the upper left engine mounting casting, so the whole of the top engine mount will have to be replaced.
The piece that had broken off was lying in the plastic tray thingy under the engine.

So now, I've got nothing supporting the airbox at the front, and I'm about to set off on my hols for a week. Not very good at all! Geeez... I have never had a new car with so many teething problems.

TBH I honestly cannot see how its got broken, other than someone hitting it with a hammer or something. I find it hard to believe the vibration or stresses from holding the airbox in place would have done this. So now there's nothing to hold the airbox mount grommet in place.

I did have some resonance noise issue's which had been coming from the airbox, and these were fixed by the Hereford Vx dealer, by putting some foam packing pieces underneath it.
I'm 99% sure the support bracket was intact on Thursday, and the car went into the dealer on friday (yesterday) morning for the exhaust catching the body, and for a sticking starter motor which made a whining noise when first starting after standing overnight, although they said they had fixed it, its exactly the same. Now the day after I spot this broken away.

The car was actually booked in to have a Tank Vent Valve Solenoid replaced, but it had not come into stock, so why they booked it in is beyond me when they had not even got the part. The other 2 minor issues were mentioned by me while I was there.
Hmmmmm... my suspicious nature is giving me all sorts of nasty thoughts.

Not good at all. Now I've got to wait a week until I get back before it gets ordered, and god knows how long thats going to take, in the mean time there's barely anything holding the airbox in place. There's only 2 supports anyway, now its down to just one. :D
Does'nt seem to be any way I can get a cable tie around it either. :(

enzo
12-07-09, 10:09 PM
your not having any good luck are you :o

---------------------------
www.Insignia-enthusiast.org

cameron66
17-07-09, 05:36 PM
Just returned from our few days holiday, and luckily having that airbox support bracket sheer off just before we went away did'nt really cause us any problem while we were away.

The dealer now has the part in stock and its being done on Monday, it seems the whole engine mount has to be replaced. I can only assume it was a faulty casting, as it does'nt really have a lot of stress placed on it other than a bit of airbox movement. I only rang the dealer on Monday, so they could order the part, so the fact its only taken a few days to come in is encouraging.

The car ran very well during the trip, and was returning 34.6 mpg which is not too bad for this 1.8vvt engined Insignia, it also seems to be pulling much better now that its got 2k miles on it. Hopefully once this fractured engine mount is replaced thats it for a while.:):)

envoy cdx
19-07-09, 11:32 PM
Hopefully your week(end?) away has relaxed you a bit.
Hope you get a free service thrown in for the additional trouble too!

cameron66
20-07-09, 11:32 AM
Well the dealer replaced the broken left engine mount which supports the airbox this morning, they also replaced the Vent Valve Solenoid which has been on back order for some time.

There appears to be no resonance or vibration noise from the airbox, so all seems well again. Hopefully thats the last time I need to go back for a long time! fingers crossed... :):)

Melbury
20-07-09, 09:45 PM
I gave my car a good clean today in preparation for starting off on Holiday 6am in the morning. When I checked under the bonnet to top up washer bottle, and give a quick wipe round in there I noticed that a chunk of the airbox bracket which holds the front Airbox mount grommet has completely sheered off.
Its a allow di-casting and part of the upper left engine mounting casting, so the whole of the top engine mount will have to be replaced.
The piece that had broken off was lying in the plastic tray thingy under the engine.

So now, I've got nothing supporting the airbox at the front, and I'm about to set off on my hols for a week. Not very good at all! Geeez... I have never had a new car with so many teething problems.

TBH I honestly cannot see how its got broken, other than someone hitting it with a hammer or something. I find it hard to believe the vibration or stresses from holding the airbox in place would have done this. So now there's nothing to hold the airbox mount grommet in place.

I did have some resonance noise issue's which had been coming from the airbox, and these were fixed by the Hereford Vx dealer, by putting some foam packing pieces underneath it.
I'm 99% sure the support bracket was intact on Thursday, and the car went into the dealer on friday (yesterday) morning for the exhaust catching the body, and for a sticking starter motor which made a whining noise when first starting after standing overnight, although they said they had fixed it, its exactly the same. Now the day after I spot this broken away.

The car was actually booked in to have a Tank Vent Valve Solenoid replaced, but it had not come into stock, so why they booked it in is beyond me when they had not even got the part. The other 2 minor issues were mentioned by me while I was there.
Hmmmmm... my suspicious nature is giving me all sorts of nasty thoughts.

Not good at all. Now I've got to wait a week until I get back before it gets ordered, and god knows how long thats going to take, in the mean time there's barely anything holding the airbox in place. There's only 2 supports anyway, now its down to just one. :D
Does'nt seem to be any way I can get a cable tie around it either. :(

Glad to hear that you are getting through all these faults, I was very interested in the resonance problem as i encountered it too but thought it was from an exhaust silencer. However, I have put a piece of pipe insulation on the pipe which goes under the air box. That is, I think, an air-con pipe, anyway it is a short piece of pipe insulation simply pushed well in at that point where the pipe goes under the box and very near to where that mounting bracket was broken.
Did not expect to obtain much improvement but was delighted to find no resonance on a good run and uphill changing down. Another thing needed fixing was a pipe bracket above radiator facing engine this holds the pipe from the steering fluid reservoir to the pump. Sorted with a wee drop of Araldite.