PDA

View Full Version : Memory Sticks for Insignia

thermalactivity
25-07-09, 10:18 AM
Hi
STILL patiently waiting for Oct 1st delivery of my SRi NAV 160 with 20" wheels grrrrr
I asked on another thread about using Memory Sticks in the USB slot and had a few valuable answers. With those answers in mind would it be possible for people who are already using Memory Sticks to post the following;

Capacity of Memory ie 4GB, 8GB
Manufacturer of Stick
Model Number
Link to where they purchased it
Price

Cheers

jackrs
25-07-09, 03:08 PM
Play.com 2GB usb stick.

Nokia N95 in (data transfer mode)

Both work without fault.

Gorfinkle
25-07-09, 03:09 PM
I don't think it matters what size / manafacture stick you use, as long as it's USB (i've just bught a 16gb stick for £20)

thermalactivity
25-07-09, 03:16 PM
I had heard that they need to be a certain size (physical) as otherwise you cant close the armrest lid?
Ive got a N95 8GB so may just use that! Do you need to buy a USB to Mini USB cable or is this supplied in the Armrest? Can you still then see all the album/track names on the Dashboard Display and change album/track with the Steering Wheel controls?

jackrs
25-07-09, 03:20 PM
You can use the usb cable that comes with the N95. and yes it still shows all the track info.

thermalactivity
25-07-09, 03:26 PM
Its just a shame that you cant also recharge the N95 whilst its connected to the USB port as never understood why Nokia left that off the phone! :mad:

thermalactivity
25-07-09, 03:34 PM
i've just bught a 16gb stick for £20

where did you get 16GB for £20 from mate?

Mr Elite
25-07-09, 04:17 PM

Try Amazon - free delivery! £17.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ByteStor-Speed-Dataferry-Flash-Drive/dp/B000WZH880

martin99
25-07-09, 04:38 PM
The size of stick as set out in the manual is (I think) 70mm so you can still close the arm rest.
I use ipod classic with 120gb and get all the ipod features on the dash screen and steering wheel controls

Gorfinkle
25-07-09, 05:09 PM

Local computer show and it's a Kingstone Memory Stick

Rockh
27-07-09, 12:06 PM
8 gig stick, Kingston, from 7 day shop.
Have found that the limit for files and folders is 999 so about 4 gig.
Otherwise the radio throws a wobbler and you get random tracks with wrong titles.

Rockh
27-07-09, 02:58 PM
Sure is, even have a kids folder just to keep them quiet...:D

martin99
27-07-09, 03:57 PM
Have found that the car thru' the usb charges the ipod so no extra cables - but have noticed that over 1000 tunes it does throw a wobbly and yes comical watching the name to 1 tune and hearing another. Great for in-car quizzes - Thanks vxh:rolleyes:

Rockh
27-07-09, 04:32 PM
Name that tune a'la VX, choose Greenday's latest offering and get the Mama Mia soundtrack :mad:

Now have a 4gig and a couple of 1 gig sticks

thermalactivity
11-08-09, 02:20 PM
So which type of memory stick is required to slot into the USB on the Insignia? Is it a male type stick or female type stick?

7 weeks and counting for delivery of my Insignia SRi NAV with 20" alloys!

cameron66
11-08-09, 03:16 PM
So which type of memory stick is required to slot into the USB on the Insignia? Is it a male type stick or female type stick?

7 weeks and counting for delivery of my Insignia SRi NAV with 20" alloys!

Only one type of pendrive USB fitting AFAIK, its just a standard USB socket, any USB device should fit into it.

thermalactivity
11-08-09, 03:43 PM
just bought one of these so lets hope it fits in 7 weeks time ha!

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=106091

cameron66
11-08-09, 04:20 PM
just bought one of these so lets hope it fits in 7 weeks time ha!

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=106091

It should be fine matey, Unfortunately I dont have a USB socket on mine, but from what I've read the only thing you have to watch out for is the length of the pendrive. That one should be okay, but you need to avoid any thats on the long side otherwise the armrest wont go down all the way.

Only other limitation, again from what I've heard others users state, is the restriction of 1000 song titles, which sounds more than enough to me anyway..lol

thermalactivity
11-08-09, 04:25 PM
cheers fella! im gearing up for the delivery of my car on october 2nd and im like a little boy on xmas eve! i will rip some albums at an extra high bitrate so that it fills the 8gig stick as ive got more than a 1000 albums nevermind just songs!!

Happy42
11-08-09, 04:42 PM
Hi :)

If the memory stick is too long, get yourself a USB extension lead ;)

This solves the problem of being unable to close the armrest if the mem stick is too long.

Cheers :D

cameron66
11-08-09, 04:46 PM
Hi :)

If the memory stick is too long, get yourself a USB extension lead ;)

This solves the problem of being unable to close the armrest if the mem stick is too long.

Cheers :D

A good suggestion.

Am I right in thinking that the USB was only fitted, when the user opted for or the car came equiped with the DVD800 unit. ?

ie. nothing to do with the sight n sound pack.

thermalactivity
11-08-09, 05:19 PM
Am I right in thinking that the USB was only fitted, when the user opted for or the car came equiped with the DVD800 unit. ? ie. nothing to do with the sight n sound pack.

i ordered the NAV version without the sight and sound pack so im assuming it comes with the USB and the AUX in reading from other posts?

Rockh
11-08-09, 05:20 PM
The limit is 1000 items includes folders and files.

Happy42
11-08-09, 06:37 PM
Hi,

I have the Elite with the DVD800 Nav system, I do believe the USB comes as part of the DVD800 setup.

cheers :)

cameron66
11-08-09, 06:49 PM
i ordered the NAV version without the sight and sound pack so im assuming it comes with the USB and the AUX in reading from other posts?

The reason I asked, was... you can order the Exlusiv model like mine which normally comes with just the Cd300 Mp3 unit, but you can add the Satnav as a option for £1200 (price when I ordered mine anyway) so I assume when you add the Nav option it automatically upgrades you to the DVD800 too.

I assume you need to have the DVD800 in order for the Nav option to work.

I also assume if one ordered the Exclusiv with the Nav option its likely you may also get the USB, which you would'nt normally get.

Rockh
11-08-09, 07:04 PM
Yes, DVD800 is the sat nav and looking at the brochure you get a USB port on all bar the S model.

icemann3016
11-08-09, 08:58 PM
I`ve noticed something. I have to sticks- an 8 gb Kingston and 2GB no named. When making transfers from my lappy to each of the sticks the kingston achieves ~8-9mb/s transfer rate as the no name can`t go above 1.5-2mb/s. In the car.. the no name is making issues like changing songs, cutting them, not showing the root menu etc. So look for a high transfer rate usb stick when you buy one if you want no issues.

cameron66
11-08-09, 11:20 PM
Yes, DVD800 is the sat nav and looking at the brochure you get a USB port on all bar the S model.

No USB on the S model and the next one up which is mine the Exclusiv, the basic S model does'nt even have climate control, just the standard aircon, at least I have a proper climate control. it just has the AUX in socket. The SRI model as standard does not come with a USB socket either.

Dont know why its called Exclusiv, it should have been called Excluded...lol
as the Exclusiv has no USB, no auto locking, no tilting mirrors, no remote windows operation, quite a few things. In fact very little in the way of any features. Though it does have electric seat adjustment, and a daft lighting system, which you cannot permanently turn off, comes on auto everytime you start car. Like all of them..LOL

Talking about climate control, on Sunday while driving the car I noticed that I had no climate display showing, totally blank, though aircon controls seemed to be working normally just no led display. No idea what caused it, but it came back on as normal when I turned ignition off and back on again, and its been okay since. Praying thats not going to give any probs, hope it was just some glitch.

Rockh
12-08-09, 07:33 AM
The standard car just has the aux socket but if you upgrade to the DVD 800 you'll get the USB socket on all bar the S model.