PDA

View Full Version : ALLOY WHEELS. HOW TIGHT ARE YOURS.?. Do You Think 150nm is too tight. ?

cameron66
01-08-09, 02:17 PM
I checked the wheel nuts on my 18" Alloys on my Insignia yesterday, and they did not appear very tight at all.

On checking with the Torque wrench they seemed to be tightened to around the 80nm-85nm mark, with several much less than that.

The Insignia uses large 22mm wheel nuts, and the manual states for alloy wheels that they should be tightened to 150nm.

Does that sound rather high to you. My vec-c (steel structure) wheels used to be 110nm, which seems more reasonable.

Not been able to find any specific info on-line, other than what it states in the Insignia manual ie. 150nm.

Would you risk it, and torque them up to this. 150nm is pretty high, and am worried it may cause damage to the wheels if I do so.

What do you guys think?

cameron66
01-08-09, 03:15 PM
Whats that in english??:o:o
I always tighten mine up till i think its sufficient. thats possibly more than a normal garage. but they possibly around 80lbs.;)

You obviously dont use a torque wrench..lol

Most people including garages tend to use the NM Newton Meter measurement these days rather than Lbs per foot. More of a european standard apparently, ie.. UK being in EU its now the measurment used. :)

1 Lb-Ft = 1.35582 Nm

Anyway, basically your 80 lb per ft = roughly just under 110Nm, which is about what most people would tighten wheels to, and is what I used on the Vec-c.

However, in the Insignia manual it states 150Nm or approx 110 Lbs per ft.

Which is actually quite a lot for a alloy wheel. In fact that is very tight indeed, which is why I was querying it. It is quite easy to crack/fracture a alloy wheel if its overtightened a lot.

bud1970
01-08-09, 03:27 PM
I just tighten mine till the the studs make a "crack" noise, which really p's the other half off cos she got a puncture one day and couldn't get the wheel studs off. Lmao!!:D

cameron66
01-08-09, 05:15 PM
Well I ended up doing all the wheel nuts up to about 105 lbs or 140nm, which is what they use on the Saab S60 alloys and same 22mm nuts, so should be okay.:)

I was a bit surprised to find at least 4 nuts which were very loose, in fact the weight of the toque wrench on its own was sufficient to turn the nuts.. not good. So its obvious the dealers dont check them very often, if at all, when the cars go in. :(

Gorfinkle
01-08-09, 06:29 PM
I torque my wheel nuts to 80lbs feet everytime

cameron66
01-08-09, 09:06 PM
I torque my wheel nuts to 80lbs feet everytime

Which is 30lbs /ft lighter than what the Insignia manual actually states for alloy wheels. :confused:

If you have alloy wheels on your Insignia how come you dont torque them to what is stated in the manual. ? Just wondered.

I thought the 110.6 lbs /ft or 150nm sounded a little high, but apparently thats what the manual states it should be. Hence the reason I compromised and set them at about 140nm or 103 lbs /ft. Which is why I was querying the figures.

Melbury
03-08-09, 08:26 PM
:(I checked the wheel nuts on my 18" Alloys on my Insignia yesterday, and they did not appear very tight at all.

On checking with the Torque wrench they seemed to be tightened to around the 80nm-85nm mark, with several much less than that.

The Insignia uses large 22mm wheel nuts, and the manual states for alloy wheels that they should be tightened to 150nm.

Does that sound rather high to you. My vec-c (steel structure) wheels used to be 110nm, which seems more reasonable.

Not been able to find any specific info on-line, other than what it states in the Insignia manual ie. 150nm.

Would you risk it, and torque them up to this. 150nm is pretty high, and am worried it may cause damage to the wheels if I do so.

What do you guys think?
Yes I meant to check them all after trying the key on the lock nut and found it was not at all tight. I dont know about torque but i will just tighten a bit.
I mean you know what happens sometimes in a tyre centre when they use an impact gun and then you have a struggle to get the wheel off next time!

iangte
03-08-09, 08:36 PM
the guidance i have has it at 120 nm's not worked in lb's per foot in years now so no idea what it would be

dappy cow
03-08-09, 09:27 PM
lmao! i just jump up and down on the wheel brace till theyre tight! :o still least that way i know i can get them undone again if i get a puncture. Hate it when garages do them up with the iar gun, i can never get them off! ive never had a wheel fall off yet!

biffbangpow
03-08-09, 11:22 PM
I checked the wheel nuts on my 18" Alloys on my Insignia yesterday, and they did not appear very tight at all.

What do you guys think?

i bet you carnt undo them with a standard , as supplied , wheel brace then !!

they need to be a tight as you can get then , so you can get them off !!:eek:

envoy cdx
04-08-09, 12:02 PM
90nm via the old torque wrench, or click click eeeeeck by hand.

cameron66
04-08-09, 01:04 PM
90nm via the old torque wrench, or click click eeeeeck by hand.

But would you tighten it to 150nm if the VX manual stated it should be done up that tight. ? Which it does for the Insignia.

Obviously most people dont use a torque wrench and so would use their own judgment when tightening them, but would those who possess a torque wrench tighten them to what VX state they should be.?

Not such a issue with steel wheels, but alloy wheels are renown for having the nuts work loose, which is why Vx state they should be checked frequently and torqued to the correct tightness.

I have used a torque wrench for many years, as it takes the guesswork out when tightening up components. I keep a small extendable wheel wrench in the car in case I get a punture. Though TBH in my case, being disabled I would simply phone the RAC disabled priority number and they would respond quite quickly, and change it for me.

bud1970
04-08-09, 01:12 PM
lmao! i just jump up and down on the wheel brace till theyre tight! :o

Lmao @ this what a mental image!!!

andyc
05-08-09, 04:11 PM
if thats what is stated by Vauxhall's then do them that tight. If the wheel cracks then thats down to vauxhall's as the wheel has be tightened to the qutoed torque setting.

I very much dout GME just plucked that setting out of the air, there must be a reason for it.

Andy

envoy cdx
05-08-09, 04:40 PM
But would you tighten it to 150nm if the VX manual stated it should be done up that tight. ? Which it does for the Insignia.

Obviously most people dont use a torque wrench and so would use their own judgment when tightening them, but would those who possess a torque wrench tighten them to what VX state they should be.?

Not such a issue with steel wheels, but alloy wheels are renown for having the nuts work loose, which is why Vx state they should be checked frequently and torqued to the correct tightness.

I have used a torque wrench for many years, as it takes the guesswork out when tightening up components. I keep a small extendable wheel wrench in the car in case I get a punture. Though TBH in my case, being disabled I would simply phone the RAC disabled priority number and they would respond quite quickly, and change it for me.

Yes and no, I've had a torque wrench since erm, Christmas (lucky me) and the first time I've used it was the otherday, seems I do my wheels to 90nm even without the aid of a torque wrench :eek:

cameron66
12-08-09, 11:55 AM
if thats what is stated by Vauxhall's then do them that tight. If the wheel cracks then thats down to vauxhall's as the wheel has be tightened to the qutoed torque setting.

I very much dout GME just plucked that setting out of the air, there must be a reason for it.

Andy

That was my thoughts too, so I ended up putting them just below at 140nm.

Anyway, when my car was in the dealers this morning, I asked the mechanic the same question. ie. what do they torque them up to.
I was surprised to hear his answer. ' We Torque all wheel nuts up the same, we use one setting for them all, 88lbs per ft, or 65nm. Makes it easier to remove next time. No wonder mine seemed a bit on the loose side. Even more confused now...lol
Thats nearly half the 150nm tension Vx specify... very wierd.

If nobody, even the VX dealers adhere to what VX specify, seems a waste of time, a bit like having laws, and nobody sticks to them...lol

cameron66
12-08-09, 01:27 PM
Further on this subject.

I just had a phone call back from the dealer on this subject, as the tech guy had been doing some double checking with VX tech support, and they said it was important to set them to the proper Torque of 150nm or 110lbs.

Apparently it used to be a lower figure when the car was first released but had since been revised upto 150nm or 110lbs, it seems they had a couple of cases with wheel nuts coming loose on alloys.

The dealer has now issued new guidelines to their mechanics, who had only been torqueing them to just over half what they should have been, and VX are sending out memo's to all their UK dealers, to ensure they are indeed tightened to 110lbs / 150nm. So the Manuals are indeed correct.

So no more confusion!... LOL:D

May be worth checking your wheel nuts are tightened properly. :)

Edit... Dealers conversion on previous post totally screwed up...lol