PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Paint Mis-Match. Why cant VX get it right.

cameron66
04-08-09, 10:14 AM
I'll let pics Speak for themselves. However dont you think its about time VX/Opel managed to sort this issue out, afterall they have had it long enough. The Vectra bumpers were a different shade, and now the Insignia.

mitch1408
04-08-09, 10:32 AM
WOW :eek:

That is shocking. Does it effect all insignias or just a few? Mine is on the way and dont want my car looking like a rainbow!!

Mitch

cameron66
04-08-09, 11:39 AM
WOW :eek:

That is shocking. Does it effect all insignias or just a few? Mine is on the way and dont want my car looking like a rainbow!!

Mitch

Some colours appear to show up worse than others, it also depends how the light hits it when the pic was taken. Some owners dont appear to have noticed or chose to pretend its a trick of the light, depending whether they went to specsavers or not...LOL

Mine is Tech Grey and some days depending on the light angle its hardly noticable, while other times it really noticable.
I've even had people comment on it when admiring the car, when I've not even pointed it out. It's not something you really want mentioned is it.:(

This problem seems to be on quite a lot of Vectra's too. My Lightning Silver vec-c bumpers appeared to be a touch darker shade, again it depended how the light hit it.

Some people have said it's due to spraying onto plastic (oils in the plastic) others believe its might be due to VX/Opel having them sprayed up at a different factory, hence a different batch of paint.

I have noticed that a lot of Insignia's on the forcourts, or just take a look at a few for sale on the NetworkQ website, and a lot of the Insignia's exhibit this same shading mismatch under certain lighting conditions.
Very strange indeed, in fact the gentleman who owns the white one in the pics is having both bumpers totally resprayed by VX.

Some may say its not a major issue, myself included when it does'nt show up...lol but one would have thought they would have resolved it by now.

I've been looking at some other makes of cars for comparisons, and Ford dont seem to have this problem, at least not that I've noticed, and everyone uses plastic bumpers these days dont they, so I think its more likely they are sprayed at a different factory.

Its just another little thing on my list that annoys me a wee bit.

cameron66
04-08-09, 05:44 PM
So how come Ford and others dont appear to have difficulty matching their panels like VX/Opel do. ?

Surely in 2009 they should have found a fix for this by now. This has been going on for years with VX, its not something new. They have had plenty of time to resolve it. :(

Also does'nt the paint sit on its undercoat, and not direct to plastic, everybody uses plastic bumpers, so how have others managed to solve the problem.

envoy cdx
04-08-09, 06:24 PM
plus the bumpers and cars are painted at different factorys .

This is generally the biggest problem, that and just pushing the next colour through the same gun gives to different paint finishes.

cameron66
05-08-09, 04:06 PM
each car maker uses different makes of paint like where i work in the body shop we use 2 different paint sceams .

different makes of paint different finish .

yes they do sit on a primer (undercoat ) but same again metal and plastic primer are different and have different effects on the colour coat

So are you saying if I come into your bodyshop and I need the front bumper and side wing respraying they will likely end up different colours.

And if your answers no,
... then why cannot VX get the colours right. You know that VX have issues in this area as well as I do.:)

I appreciate your comments regarding differences in types of primers, but others manage to get a acceptable match in colour.

dappy cow
05-08-09, 05:19 PM
im not sure the others do get it right all that well. My mums merc has a slight difference in paint colour, ive seen fords that look awful and other makes to. Ive seen a few insignias and the colour matches dont seem any worse than other cars on the road imo

cameron66
05-08-09, 05:25 PM
im not sure the others do get it right all that well. My mums merc has a slight difference in paint colour, ive seen fords that look awful and other makes to. Ive seen a few insignias and the colour matches dont seem any worse than other cars on the road imo

So having spent anything from 15k to 20K + for your brand new Insignia you would consider those example pics above (one is mine) to be quite acceptable to you. You would be reasonably happy.

My eldest sons BMW M sports 320 hardtop coupe has no such issues, neither does the youngest sons Mondeo Platinum X or something like that, or his previous Mondeo for that matter, I've been checking a few makes of car for this problem over the last few weeks, and though yes I have seen some other cheap makes with paint issues similar, few are as bad as some of the Insignia's bad examples Ive seen.

Its becoming obvious that we all see colours differently, good job I went to SpecSavers. :D

dappy cow
05-08-09, 05:30 PM
Thats not what i was saying at all. Only giving my opinion and observations compared to other cars. I personally wouldnt buy a new car so doesnt really apply.

cameron66
05-08-09, 05:38 PM
Go on be a devil...:D Look at the pics and answer yes or no would you be happy or not. Only 1 answer mind you.. :D Yes or No

dappy cow
05-08-09, 05:47 PM
Well actually yes. On 3 counts, 1 some of the colour difference in the pics looks like it could be the light, angle and curves on the bumper, 2 the ones in the show rooms would have a colour difference so would wouldnt order the car if that was the case, 3 other manufacturers have the same issues. As i said the ones ive seen i didnt notice any significant difference.

But also wouldnt buy a new car for so many other reasons! Im a classic car girl! So used to bumpers being a different colour!!

iangte
05-08-09, 05:57 PM
with steph on this, light pics causes loads of problems and water based paint is rubbish

but remember you've bought a vauxhall not a ferrari how ever much it cost, its a mass produced car as are ford etc hence the problems.

cameron66
05-08-09, 06:31 PM
That may well be the case, however, 2 of those cars in the pics are having their bumpers completely resprayed by VX, even the VX area manager said they were not acceptable, and admitted they had issues to resolve.

I still feel however that its unreasonable of VX to expect customers of brand new cars to tolerate having/requiring their new car to need a respray on delivery.:(

It does amaze me however, how tolerable people can be when its not their new car thats the subject of the discussion.:D

I will not post further on the subject. (- As its obvious that everyone else would have no issue accepting new cars with different coloured panels. In conclusion its obviously only I who prefers my cars to be all the same colour. :D

dappy cow
05-08-09, 06:39 PM
Im not talking about any of the cars in particular. If cerain ones are much worse then thats not at all good. But the original point seemed to be why are they worse than other manufacterers, which is what i was commenting on from my experience.

You are more than welcome to disagree as we are all entitled to have different opinions.

mitch1408
05-08-09, 07:58 PM
I think the overall point of this topic is - There shouldnt be a problem with the colour on the bumpers.

dappy cow
05-08-09, 08:02 PM
there shouldnt! but as has been pointed out, trying to get paint to look the same on 2 completely different surfaces is very difficult, all manufacturers have problems with it. So its down to the individual to decide if the finish is good enough.

dappy cow
05-08-09, 08:07 PM
like i said befor if there is a problem go back to the dealer and see you warranty person at said dealer .but then a again what do you expect from a mass produced car .

cheak the gaps on the boot and lights see how they are not even or level .

ahhh yes, more reasons why i wouldnt by a new car!

dappy cow
05-08-09, 08:11 PM
yep, i'll stick to my rust ones i think! lol

Vauxhallnutter Mark
05-08-09, 09:31 PM
yep, i'll stick to my rust ones i think! lol

Me too!!!