PDA

View Full Version : Insignia MPG on trip computer

PRO-INSIGNIA
06-08-09, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I have read some threads about people complaining about there MPG on Insignias. I think there might be a problem with the trip computer reading.
My dad has a 160 diesel that the trip computer says he is doing 38mpg over a tank full, When you actually work it out with paper and pen it is doing 44mpg.

Might be worth Insignia owners working it out with paper and pen next time they fill up and then we will see if Insignias do have a problem with the trip computer MPG calculation.

Paul

cameron66
06-08-09, 03:30 PM
Well my 1.8vvt Insignia states its currently doing 33.4mpg. (on computer)

Working the figures out myself, based on my last tankful which was filled to max, in the sense it took about 2mins to squeeze in the last couple of litres...lol so it was up near max.

I managed just about 460 miles before I topped up again with probably approx 15miles left in the tank. It works out for me near to 32mpg. Allowing for the last droplets in the tank This is mostly journeys between the village where we live and nearest larger towns about 18miles away.

Max I've had showing on computer during long runs as been just over 34.

34.2 I think it was, so its reasonably constant between journey types. Just a difference of 2 to 3 mpg.

PRO-INSIGNIA
06-08-09, 09:38 PM
Cameron,

Looks like your trip computer MPG readings are accurate. Might just concern the diesels. I think 32mpg is pretty good for a 1.8 because the Insignia is quite a heavy car.

Paul

Happy42
16-08-09, 03:17 PM
Hi Folks,

Got the 160 Diesel and the best I have had is 54mpg on the Motorway.

Not been on a long run for a while but still sitting at 45mpg.

60-65 mph on the motorway and use the cruise control whenever I can.

Nearly 8k on the clock, although the oil will need a top up soon as sitting at 68%.

Cheers :)

martin99
16-08-09, 03:26 PM
Got the 130 CDTI and struggle to get 40 mpg around town - motorway driving gives me about 50 mpg. However this can only be achieved by keeping the revs to 2000 and using cc. If I drive as I used to the mpg plummits

mitch1408
16-08-09, 03:37 PM
do you find that having the MPG constantly on display makes you drive more carefully though? Ive got a feeling it will with me or at least i hope it will!!

martin99
16-08-09, 03:51 PM
Yes you do find yourself being very light footed and using the sat nav to reduce power when approaching roundabouts etc but do find it annoying that I can only acahieve 52mpg at best. My last Passat would give me 58 - 60 mpg on motorways

Geoff
25-08-09, 05:13 PM
I posted back in May about disappointing mpg on my Sports Tourer 2.0 Petrol Turbo 4X4 SE (which was delivered to me in April!). I've now done 2,800 miles, but rarely get above 26 mpg on any journey. I have checked mpg as shown on display against paper calculation of miles done and petrol put in, and display is accurate. I see that Vauxhall are still advertising the Insignia on the basis of "economical": as I've said before, there are many good reasons for buying an Insignia, but fuel economy (at least with petrol) is not one of them!

PRO-INSIGNIA
25-08-09, 05:25 PM
I posted back in May about disappointing mpg on my Sports Tourer 2.0 Petrol Turbo 4X4 SE (which was delivered to me in April!). I've now done 2,800 miles, but rarely get above 26 mpg on any journey. I have checked mpg as shown on display against paper calculation of miles done and petrol put in, and display is accurate. I see that Vauxhall are still advertising the Insignia on the basis of "economical": as I've said before, there are many good reasons for buying an Insignia, but fuel economy (at least with petrol) is not one of them!

Wow, 26mpg!! thats expensive on your pocket:eek:
I have just got 40mpg out of my 2.0 160 diesel on its 1st tank which was a mixture of town + motorway driving. I am quite happy with that.:)

Happy42
25-08-09, 09:29 PM
Hi Folk's

Likewise I have the 2.0 160 Diesel Elite and averaging 49mpg. When doing a lot of motorway driving getting 54mpg.

I've got 8k on the clock and happy with the fuel economy.

Cheers :)

Jonnybear
26-08-09, 09:30 PM
50 mph is sill rather low, our vw passat chucks out 60 = 65,

and my carlton 42 mph, on a run

hopefully the economy will improve over time as the engine gets beaded in

still very nice cars :)

iangte
26-08-09, 10:34 PM
that is low but as johnny says might improve with age
my cav v6 used to 59mpg on a motorway
my vw bora 1.9tdi 250bhp will do 65-69mpg

out of interest have any of you guys played with the ecu yet to adjust the settings

ry123
24-06-14, 11:49 AM
hello,
im relatively new to site and just looking through the forum.... play with ecu?? by that do you mean re-mapping? does this have a big effect?