PDA

View Full Version : Where does the oil disappear to? 1.6 8v

wazza2004
07-08-09, 07:11 PM
This applies to the 2002 vauxhall astra 1.6 8v version not the 16v. Whenever i check my sister's car after a few months the oil level is below minimum. There is no oil stain on the ground or around the engine bay. When starting, running or setting off there is no blue smoke. The oil pressure light comes on as you start the car then goes off quickly. This has been happening for a year now. Naturally i top it up but it takes ages to register on the dipstick. The car has done 60k. Her annual mileage is 4k. The next step is to drive behind her and see if i can detect any blue smoke.

Family had vauxhall's in the past with the same type of engine but had no heavy oil consumption. (1986 and 1990 cavalier and a 1990 carlton 1.6 and 2.0 8v engines)

Any idea what it can be?

iangte
07-08-09, 07:13 PM
oil filter leaking onto manifold so it burns off, blue smoke means a major loss in oil it can be gradual through the valves so not much sign

PRO-INSIGNIA
07-08-09, 08:39 PM
I suspect it might be the valve stem oil seals. If you following your sister for a while at a constant speed then look when she lets of the throttle to slow down, you will probably then see a puff of blue smoke.

2.0 vectra
07-08-09, 09:35 PM
seems to be a very common problem on these engines , it will eventually coke the plugs up & cause a misfire , seen loads do it .

iangte
07-08-09, 09:36 PM
on the 1.6 8v's:confused::confused::confused:

2.0 vectra
07-08-09, 09:55 PM
on the 1.6 8v's:confused::confused::confused:

yeah , the ones fitted to astra g approx 2000 - 2004 , for some strange reason .

iangte
07-08-09, 10:03 PM
what engine code mate any idea's

wazza2004
07-08-09, 10:36 PM
seems to be a very common problem on these engines , it will eventually coke the plugs up & cause a misfire , seen loads do it .

Sister had the car for roughly 3 years and i don't know if the plugs has ever been changed in that time. There is no evidence of the plugs fouling but then again she is a low mileage driver, around 4k a year. Will ask her if the plugs has ever been checked.

2.0 vectra
07-08-09, 11:00 PM
had a couple of them in at work with the same problem , mate of mine had one that had the same problem from very low (30 odd k ) mileage .
unsure of the engine code for these , maybe Z16SE ??

wazza2004
08-08-09, 12:41 AM
One thing that bothers me the most is that when i put oil in it takes ages to show on the dipstick, even after 1/2 hour

wazza2004
08-08-09, 12:53 AM
It maybe an idea to drop what oil is in there, it may have turned to sludge?? It may sound like grandma & sucking eggs but the oil viscosity, what is going in, or what has been used??;);):confused:
It may be a good time to flush it out??:confused::confused:

Worth thinking about. Have always been warned off from using flushing oil because it might remove 'gunge' built up in areas which has worn out and the gunge takes up the slack. Removing the gunge will make the engine parts 'loose' and sound like a 'bag of nails' i think the expression is.

ct58
08-08-09, 01:25 PM
had a couple of them in at work with the same problem , mate of mine had one that had the same problem from very low (30 odd k ) mileage .
unsure of the engine code for these , maybe Z16SE ??

All corect matey, doing one at the mo, very common problem with this engine usualy round about 40k miles(the one I'm doing 37k) needs new piston rings, although compressions are 100% the oil control ring are stuck in the piston, smokes on start up in the morning;)