PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Thin Paint. Chips down to base paint everytime.

cameron66
08-08-09, 04:38 PM
Anyone else noticed how thin the paint is on the Insignia's, certainly is on Tech Grey colours anyway.

I have yet to have a stone chip that has not shown up the white base colour on the bumpers. In fact I'm amazed VX/Opel managed to cover the basecoat without it showing through. A new way to reduce the weight of the car perhaps. :rolleyes: Its so thin I'm starting to wonder if Vx managed to miss off the clear top coat.

One thing is certain guys, I need to be extremely careful using anything slightly abrasive like Tcut when trying to remove a slight scuff or mark, as your almost certain to end up down at the basepaint. My advice avoid anything at all abrasive, and use none abrasive polishes at all times.

Touching chips on the front bumper is becoming a weekly chore.:(

dappy cow
08-08-09, 04:42 PM
Its back to the water based paint issue again i think!! I had parts of my cav resprayed and they had to use water based paint. I have the same problems with that, scratches so easy and the paints so thin it goes through to the base coat almost every time.

cameron66
08-08-09, 05:22 PM
(-if you are that unhappy with you new car why did you by it in the first place thats what i want to kno .in all your threads you have posted you have complained evrey time about your new car on how xxxx it is and how off colour the bumpers are and how thin the paint it .if you hate it that much why bye it .

How would I have known about all these issues prior to buying the car, as there was little feedback regarding Isignia issues on forums.

Obviously had I known I was going to have all these issues I would not have bought it would I! I suggest you venture beyond this forum onto a few other Insignia forums including german one's, and you will realise many of the issues I have mentioned are unfortunately being expereinced by some others too.

This is my 4th brand new VX car, and the first to give me numerious minor problems. In fact, compared to some new owners I've been fortunate, one owner is on his 3rd DMF flywheel replacement, and its only 2/3 months old. Whats more... VX have refused to replace it refund him. They have had the car longer than he has, as there are long waits for parts in the UK. I'm currently waiting for a piece of trim, not even in the UK yet.
It can often take weeks for spares to arrive.

I do not exagerate any issues, as all can obviously be substantiated. I merely state the facts. Sorry if they upset you matey. (- Only thing I can suggest is you not read any I post.

In fact, if you had read my review on my Insignia you will see I gave it a generous glowing report.

AAMOI Do you have a Insignia yourself. ? Mine is for sale, if your're interested in buying it.

cameron66
08-08-09, 05:41 PM
In addition to above.

Can I add that if there are any members on here who would rather I ceased posting my experiences with my Insignia, be that positive or negaitive one's then I will cease immeadiately. If I've upset anyone by any critism of my Insignia, that was not my intention and can only apologise, afterall I appreciate the fact that most people on here are VX owners.(-

Just because I may be critical of some things does not mean I dislike the car. My wife has many faults but I love her more than anything else.... yep even the Insignia.:D

cameron66
08-08-09, 06:03 PM
Its back to the water based paint issue again i think!! I had parts of my cav resprayed and they had to use water based paint. I have the same problems with that, scratches so easy and the paints so thin it goes through to the base coat almost every time.

I dont know anything about these new paints at all, last time I completely sprayed a car it was with a celulose type paint, 40+ years ago.

I assume water based paints must need that top clear coat if only to seal it, and avoid it getting washed away eventually by rain and bad weather...lol
Off now to do a google search on water based car paint.

joemailey
08-08-09, 06:36 PM
In addition to above.

Can I add that if there are any members on here who would rather I ceased posting my experiences with my Insignia, be that positive or negaitive one's then I will cease immeadiately. If I've upset anyone by any critism of my Insignia, that was not my intention and can only apologise, afterall I appreciate the fact that most people on here are VX owners.(-

Just because I may be critical of some things does not mean I dislike the car. My wife has many faults but I love her more than anything else.... yep even the Insignia.:D

Keep the posts coming mate. Don't worry about others.. :D

On a side note. I've not had any issues with my car yet. Except the one recall that VX put out.
But it is nice to read your posts and issues. As if they ever happen to my car at least I know what to look out for :)

Rockh
08-08-09, 06:50 PM
Yep, very thin paint on the bumpers, the rear bumper now has quite a few white marks where the paint has scuffed away.
Will be off to the stealers for them to have a look.

PRO-INSIGNIA
08-08-09, 08:19 PM
Cameron,
I think I have read all your posts on this forum. The impression I get is that you are totally smitten with your Insignia but just feel a bit let down by some minor niggles.
I am afraid you do get these niggles in the first year of build of any new car, be it Ford + Renault etc.
My Dads car has alot of problems but again I believe he is also smitten with his. He has the following problems;
1) Noise from steering at parking speeds (its like a horn/resonance noise)
2) Excessive engine noise coming into cabin, we have managed to fix this ourselves
3) Excessive tyre noise, he has had his tyres filled with Nitrogen at Kwik Fit that has approved this.
4) Air-Con makes a pulsing noise when engine has been running for about half an hour
5) Creaking centre console. (I have been told that centre console creaks are worse if you have an automatic and that Vauxhall has just issued a rework for creaking Insignia automatic consoles to do if a customer complains)

Again even with the above problems he still like the car but is just a bit frustrated.

I picked my new Insignia up yesterday and so far (touch wood) it looks like its ok.

Can I ask what the symptom the guy had that has had 3 new Flywheels?

Paul

iangte
08-08-09, 08:23 PM
just give them back and demand your money back if your not happy... its the easy answer its covered under trading standards if the car isn't fit for the purpose then you can demand a replacement of a refund. Obviously insignias aren't up to the job, makes me glad i've got a 17 year old car..

icemann3016
09-08-09, 06:23 AM
I agree for paint. My front bumper looks terrible. There are white dots everywhere, and the sides of my rear bumper are doted too. My Astra H has not even a single dot from a road stone for 3 years. And has over 50k km extra urban driving... and this for 15k km is a disaster. I can`t imagine how the paintwork will look like after 50k

cameron66
09-08-09, 01:31 PM
Cameron,
I think I have read all your posts on this forum. The impression I get is that you are totally smitten with your Insignia but just feel a bit let down by some minor niggles.
I am afraid you do get these niggles in the first year of build of any new car, be it Ford + Renault etc.
My Dads car has alot of problems but again I believe he is also smitten with his. He has the following problems;
1) Noise from steering at parking speeds (its like a horn/resonance noise)
2) Excessive engine noise coming into cabin, we have managed to fix this ourselves
3) Excessive tyre noise, he has had his tyres filled with Nitrogen at Kwik Fit that has approved this.
4) Air-Con makes a pulsing noise when engine has been running for about half an hour
5) Creaking centre console. (I have been told that centre console creaks are worse if you have an automatic and that Vauxhall has just issued a rework for creaking Insignia automatic consoles to do if a customer complains)

Again even with the above problems he still like the car but is just a bit frustrated.

I picked my new Insignia up yesterday and so far (touch wood) it looks like its ok.

Can I ask what the symptom the guy had that has had 3 new Flywheels?

Paul

Re. Replacement of DMF's. You can view Marks thread with his bad experiences to date here. Make sure you read his last posts.

http://www.insignia-enthusiast.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=45&st=0&start=0

You are absolutely correct of course, I do love the car, more of a love/hate relationship at times... LOL. It certainly gets quite a few looks from drivers which is nice. I'm retired, and my cars are one of the main toys I enjoy (have to have your toys...even when you get older..lol)

I suppose I'm a bit of a number plate snob in some ways because I tend to change them every 2 to 3 years. My Vec-c cdti150 would've been 3 yrs old in Novemember, so its mugs like me that helps to keep the second hand sales supplied.

I'm 66 now and if you dont have a little money at my age, then its probably too late. We have lots of holidays, and I mean LOTS... Love driving, and spend a lot of time in France, as we have a gite over there. My car is probably my main hobby, just a shame I've had a run of niggly things since day one.

Touch wood its running very well at the moment, engine is running and pulling much better now its getting a few miles on it.
For some reason today the Climate control display did not illuminate when I started the car, just totally blank.
Fortunately, when I switched the engine off and back on again it began working again. Just hope that's not starting to play up, fingers crossed its been okay since. phew....:eek: Its back in the dealers on wednesday just to have the front bumper re-aligned on drivers side again. The 4mm joint gap that was there when I first had the car has reappeared, and was noticed when cleaning car a few days ago so the dealers having another go at it. Hopefully thats it then for a while.:):)

Interesting comments re. Nitrogen in tyres reducing tyre noise, ? never heard of that before, my 245/45/18 Bridgestone Potanza's make a fair amount of noise too. Though a lot of it is down to our rubbish roads here in the UK, as some road surfaces are really quiet, and of course bigger the tyre = more road noise.

cameron66
09-08-09, 01:55 PM
Cameron,

Paul

Forgot to ask Paul, how did you manage to reduce the engine noise coming through into the cabin, more sound proofing I assume. What did you do?

I added a bit more sound proofing myself around the gearlever area under the side carpet when I had the panels off a little while ago when I was trying to get rid of a few creaks, as the vx sound proof material under the carpet only came about a third the way up the sides. Not sure if it made much improvement, but it certainly wouldnt do any harm..lol

cameron66
09-08-09, 02:22 PM
just give them back and demand your money back if your not happy... its the easy answer its covered under trading standards if the car isn't fit for the purpose then you can demand a replacement of a refund. Obviously insignias aren't up to the job, makes me glad i've got a 17 year old car..

Its not as open/shut as that, to reject a car it has to be done ideally within a few weeks, (sooner the better) and by law you have to give the manufacturer the oportunity to fix the problem.

In my case I paid cash, so therefore I dont have the leverage of passing the buck to a finance company, who officially would have been the owners of the car of course. If the car is on finance you are in a much stronger position. You will see in this thread, that its not as easy as you think to get a refund. Read Marks last comment where he mentions VX refusal to refund.

http://www.insignia-enthusiast.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=45&st=0&start=0

Also unfortunately , I've become a bit of a wimp in old age, I only managed to get a free set of vx rear sensors out of the dealer for all the hasstle, because my eldest son rang them up on my behalf to voice his concerns, he could see the car was starting to make me ill.

I dont have good health these days, and TBH I just dont want the grief and worry that going down that route would I suspect bring with it. I did consider it earlier, (in first 2 or 3 weeks) but my wife said better to lose 2 or 3 grand than have another heart attack occur.

I do understand however, how tiring it may be to continually hear people moaning about their Insignia's, (especially when its the same poster all the time) ie. moaning and groaning about the car, but seemingly do little about it, other than moan on here...lol :D Sorry matey, but I promise I will endevour to moan less. Too much time on my hands thats the trouble. (-

cameron66
09-08-09, 02:58 PM
I agree for paint. My front bumper looks terrible. There are white dots everywhere, and the sides of my rear bumper are doted too. My Astra H has not even a single dot from a road stone for 3 years. And has over 50k km extra urban driving... and this for 15k km is a disaster. I can`t imagine how the paintwork will look like after 50k

I did a bit of reading up on water based car paints, and it seems they can now manage to spray the car using only one colour coat, which saves money, as previously it would require 3 coats.

TBH until very recently I had never heard of water based car paints, to me water based paint is like the old distemper emulsion wall paint..lol Certainly would never IMO have considered it suitable for cars. It seems times have moved on, and its much safer both for the environment and for the people who do the actual spraying of course, and importantly its much cheaper, with half the drying times apparently too.

Quite a interesting read it was, it certainly explains why the paint is now thinner than it used to be, and why they use that clear top coat, quite simply they have to, otherwise the colour coat would simply eventualy wash off. The water based colour coat is also quite dull and almost matt finish, so that topcoat is also needed to a shinny finish too.

Looks like modern day cars obviously are not going to have the same sort of robust protection that the old type of paints provided. IOW were stuck with it.
Probably explains why the dealer gave me a free paint touch up kit with the car. LOL:D

Luckily I've only had a couple of minor chips on the sides of rear bumper. I had a set of the vx mudlaps on the vec-c, but did'nt bother on this car, as I noticed on my vec-c that the mudflaps due to movement I suppose had rubbed in a couple of places underneath through to the primer. IOW the flaps themselves had badly marked the paint underneath, so once you fit them, you really have to keep them on. Nonetheless I have been considering getting some anyway, but unsure at the moment.

cameron66
09-08-09, 04:49 PM
Keep the posts coming mate. Don't worry about others.. :D

On a side note. I've not had any issues with my car yet. Except the one recall that VX put out.
But it is nice to read your posts and issues. As if they ever happen to my car at least I know what to look out for :)

Thanks matey, pleased to hear that your's has been behaving itself, always nice to hear there are some good ones out there. Touch wood I've been very lucky with my cars in the past, so I cant complain too much, luck of the draw sometimes, but I'm getting there slowly..:D

What was the recall for? (Satnav update perhaps)

PRO-INSIGNIA
09-08-09, 06:33 PM
Cameron,

On Automatic Insignias they obviously do not have a clutch pedal or clutch master cylinder. Where the clutch master cylinder would be under the bonnet VM fit a very cheap blanking cap that seems to let alot of engine noise through. We just sealed around the edges of this cheap cap. Also you would think there would be 2 different parts, auto+manual, for the under dash insulator. On the automatic there is a gaping hole where the clutch pedal would be. We covered accross this hole with some extra insulation. It certainly has improved things.
Regarding you front bumper fit. I believe there was another rework launched last week by VM for this problem if a customer complains. I think the dealer has to fit an extra metal clip which is now being fitted on the production line also. Might be worth mentioning this when you take your Insignia in.:)

Paul

Melbury
11-08-09, 08:21 PM
In addition to above.

You carry on telling it as you find it, afterall thats what we are here for.
The Insignia is not all its cracked up to be but still it is a desirable car.
some have more problems than others. As someone said -" depends what day it went down the line " ( not really).
Anyway I have been fortunate so far with mine although I can concur with some of the gripes mentioned.
Now here is something else I have experienced at 4kmiles just the other day-
I had a message spring up on the screen stating-' AIR Bag SERVICE'
But as you may have guessed it didn't return on next starting up.
It appeared while I had been driving some thirty odd miles.
Considered it to be a spurious signal but if it returns will have to be investigated.

iangte
11-08-09, 08:32 PM
followed an insignia to day down the m6, going to have to agree with you guys now bupers were shocking for an 09 to have that many chips in both front and rear bumpers is rediculous

cameron66
13-08-09, 07:29 PM
Just for curiousity, I thought I'd ask how you guys touch up your stone chips? In order to try and get a blemish free finish afterwards.

I use a piece of A4 paper folded into 4 and cut a tiny hole, in fact I will do this on 2 or 3 pieces of paper so I have different size holes in the A4 sheets.

I then place the sheet over the chip (using most appropiate sized hole for masking purposes, and line it up over the chip, the fold lines in the paper help you to position it better over the chip, and then give it a couple of coats of spray paint.
Finishing off with the clear laquer top coat, and then lightly rub with the very finest wet n dry, and a slight tcut, and polish.

Usually end up with a finish so the chip is almost invisible. This is a trick I saw the guy from the Chips Away company using. seems to work better than the touch up brushes.

How do you do yours. ?

icemann3016
14-08-09, 03:55 PM
I`m disappointed. I went to the dealer showing him the stone chips and colour difference and he said: go have a look at a s-class... it differs too and about the chips:" you`re driving in Bulgaria and GM are not responsible for the teribleness of our roads"... well in UK roads are much better right? and for 2 months i made 17k km and only 3k of them in Bulgaria, so.... I don`t know what to do

cameron66
14-08-09, 04:53 PM
I`m disappointed. I went to the dealer showing him the stone chips and colour difference and he said: go have a look at a s-class... it differs too and about the chips:" you`re driving in Bulgaria and GM are not responsible for the teribleness of our roads"... well in UK roads are much better right? and for 2 months i made 17k km and only 3k of them in Bulgaria, so.... I don`t know what to do

Well some of our roads in the UK are not brilliant, one of the issues here, is the way some councils re-surface roads. Some roads are great with a nice smooth (chippings free) tarmacadam surface, but you often find miles of new road where they put a layer of small chippings on the top, and supposedly roller them into the tarmac. Inevitably you end up with loads of lose chipping on the surface, or near the sides of the roads, which can take many months to disperse.

On such surfaces you can hear the chippings bouncing up against your car underneath loudly, and of course a lot of drivers are stupid and drive too fast therefore throwing the chippings up. In situations like this I've even been known to make detour's to avoids these roads, but its not always possible.

On such roads I dread fast traffic approaching me, dead easy to end up with cracked windscreens, and paint chips, just one short stretch on such a road a few days ago resulted in 4 new chips on the front bumper, showing up as white specs about 2 to 3mm each.:(

On the vectra I still had chips of course, but at least not everyone went down to the base paint, which seems to be the case on the Insignia.
All we can do is keep touching up. :( I believe the Vectra had water based paint too, so can only assume it was put on thicker.

Re. Paint mis-match.
I have been taking more notice of other makes of cars to see how their bumpers compared, I am amazed how many suffer the same problem, much more than I originally thought when I first posted about this issue. So I cannot say I am impressed by these water based paints that they all seem to use these days, and the way spraying onto plastic panels has the effect of changing the paint colour slightly.

It looks like we are stuck with it, whatever car you have, even some Audi, and Mercedes have paint colour mismatching on some models which I've seen. Also seen quite a few Fords with paint issues which I had not noticed previously, seems to be the luck of the draw, as my youngest sons Mondeo Platinum X I think its called seems to have good colour match on the panels, I cant see any difference anyway. While others I've seen do suffer from it.

Indeed, it seems common on most cars with plastic bumpers these days, which of course is most cars.:( probably due to different primer paints on metal and plastic. However in 2009 you would have thought they would have improved primer paints so new car buyers didn't have this problem.

Whats your bumper joint seams like? My front drivers side has a gap of about 3 to 4mm, and protudes out at the side about 2- 3mm and despite going into the dealers twice, they cannot get it any better.:(
Though I believe VX may have come out with some extra clips to resolve the issue, but dealer knows nothing about it, so I'm still awaiting on this. In fact this bumper seam looks much worse and noticable than the colour mismatch on the bumper.

icemann3016
15-08-09, 11:51 AM
The first thing that a friend told me when I got the car is: they gave u a crashed car, showing the difference between bumper and hood. I think it`s about the same as with your car. When i move permanently in Netherlands by the end of the month i`ll go to Russelsheim which is 200km away and see whether they can do something about that. Obviously, the Bulgarian dealers are a piece of sh*t :mad: And about the colour difference it`s up to what colour you pick for the car. Black is OK, but mine (Metro colour) is awful, white is bad too, most of the light colours have less noticeable difference than the dark ones excluding the black which has no difference at all (i`ve triple checked their test car, a black Insignia Cosmo Hatchback).

martin99
16-08-09, 03:47 PM
I too have stone chips appearing on the front of my Insignia :mad: What worries me is when you was the car all the body panels move in and out :eek:

Cam - you keep telling it as it is - too many people just accept shoddy goods (-

While I was away I parked my Lightning silver next to 2 other lightning silver Insignia's and they all looked different colours :eek: How can this be 3 cars same colour all 09 plates parked in sunlight and looking completely different :confused:

cameron66
16-08-09, 04:21 PM
I too have stone chips appearing on the front of my Insignia :mad: What worries me is when you was the car all the body panels move in and out :eek:

Cam - you keep telling it as it is - too many people just accept shoddy goods (-

While I was away I parked my Lightning silver next to 2 other lightning silver Insignia's and they all looked different colours :eek: How can this be 3 cars same colour all 09 plates parked in sunlight and looking completely different :confused:

I actually read on one of the forums that there is in fact several shades of Lightning Silver, I wasn't aware of that, but that's what the guy who was in trade said, In my book that does'nt matter as long as all those several shades are not on the same one car. :D

Yes, there is plenty of flex on the lower panels, I noticed that myself when cleaning lower area of bumpers etc... very flimsy indeed. Makes you wonder where all the weight comes from.?

I happen to mention the different colour shading on the front bumper to my younger brother who popped in today, and when I was seeing him off he passed a comment about my car. He said he had noticed it himself, but he assumed the colour difference had been done intentionally. :( IOW he thought they were supposed to be different colours. jeeeez. :eek:

icemann3016
18-08-09, 04:27 PM
I found my front bumper today with yellow paint (from a cab probably) on it so it`s going for respray. Bye bye stone chips. Let`s hope the new surface will hold on better on chips and colours will match better. The car is scheduled for friday and will be ready in wednsday... so wait for my report then.

icemann3016
20-08-09, 07:58 AM
sorry to hear you have damage Icemann!:(:(
I hope once its out of the paint shop, you will get some good wax coats upon this & it should help protect??:cool::cool:

I applied a very good protection from MA FRA right after i bought the car, but it didn`t help against the stone chips either.

cameron66
21-08-09, 08:24 AM
Re. Poor colour mis-match on bumpers.

After a inspection by a VX field manager, VX have agreed to respray both bumpers, and have given me a complimentary service free of charge, as a little compensation. It goes in on Monday to be done, Also repairing the dash creaks at same time using the dash rework fixes. He says he's had a word with them to ensure they put plenty of coats on so it does'nt chip so easily next time. I just hope the colours better..lol Cant get much worse.:D Also changing some controller board, which will enable my windows to be opened/closed by the keyfob at long last...:)

iangte
21-08-09, 11:04 AM
checked out are insignia's today at work, the bumpers are chipping on all of them looks like some ones painted white dots all over them, pointed it out to our service manager he's going to take it up with vauxhall;)

PRO-INSIGNIA
21-08-09, 11:24 AM

After a inspection by a VX field manager, VX have agreed to respray both bumpers, and have given me a complimentary service free of charge, as a little compensation. It goes in on Monday to be done, Also repairing the dash creaks at same time using the dash rework fixes. He says he's had a word with them to ensure they put plenty of coats on so it does'nt chip so easily next time. I just hope the colours better..lol Cant get much worse.:D Also changing some controller board, which will enable my windows to be opened/closed by the keyfob at long last...:)

Looks like you are getting somewhere at last!
Would you be able to ask your dealer for the Part Number of the board they are changing to get your front windows to go up on the key when you take it in. If possible I would really appreciate this.:D

john57
21-08-09, 11:29 AM

Well done Cameron, I hope it all works out well and at long last you get some peace of mind and a car to be proud off.

Cheers
John

mitch1408
21-08-09, 11:39 AM

Im happy for ya mate, something going your way for a change!! :D:D:D

Happy42
21-08-09, 04:23 PM
Great News Cameron :D

Get plenty of wax on afterwards too, good to see the before / After pics.

Well done (-

Cheers

cameron66
21-08-09, 05:43 PM
Looks like you are getting somewhere at last!
Would you be able to ask your dealer for the Part Number of the board they are changing to get your front windows to go up on the key when you take it in. If possible I would really appreciate this.:D

No problem matey, will do, though it looks like it may be a few days longer before it goes in. They rang me just before tea, to say they dont have the paint in yet, and will ring me when they can book it in.

I thought it was a bit too good to be true...lol Ah well... not worried about a few extra days, as long as it gets done, I've waited 3 months a bit longer wont matter. Guy who rang did'nt even know about the windows fix I was promised...jeeez. He said he would check with the service manager and get it sorted out.

icemann3016
22-08-09, 07:22 AM
Great news Cameron. I`ll push the Dutch dealers for that. Or i may jump to Germany too. In Bulgaria they say it`s absolutely normal and it`s not a problem that GM will take care of.

cameron66
22-08-09, 09:49 AM
Great news Cameron. I`ll push the Dutch dealers for that. Or i may jump to Germany too. In Bulgaria they say it`s absolutely normal and it`s not a problem that GM will take care of.

Well they say its normal here too, but if I'd wanted a multi coloured car I'd have gone to the circus for it. :D

Unfortunately you have to make a lot of noise, I also wrote 3 letters off to them about the issues from day 1, ie. the fact it was not new etc, and everything since.

TBH, I would'nt have made as much fuss as I have over the colour mis-match, if it were'nt for the fact that I often get other people point it out to me, without me even mentioning it. :( Thats when its starts to get to you.

I still have'nt raised my hopes up too high in case its no better...lol At least I might end up with a bit more paint on there. I'm mainly looking foward to them getting these windows to work remotely. I'm always leaving my windows open and I found that remote closing very useful on old VX cars, It seems a lot of Insignia buyers have complained about this being dropped.

Anyway, will see what happens, when it goes in.:)

martin99
22-08-09, 04:40 PM
Cam

Can I borrow you (Were you Mr Angry on Steve Wright (-) when I take my Insignia to the dealer :D

icemann3016
23-08-09, 06:13 AM
Cam

Can I borrow you (Were you Mr Angry on Steve Wright (-) when I take my Insignia to the dealer :D

I`m first in taking Cam with me. We will visit Russelsheim some day :)

cameron66
23-08-09, 09:13 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Cameron @ our Evesham meet.(-(-

You couldn't wish to meet a more gentle man, so Unsure how he has done all the persuasion:cool::cool:
His motor also was in our line up too!!
I hope these paint issues get sorted out soon, for you all!;);)

Thanks Mitch, can I take the opportunity to thank everyone at the Evesham meet, especially yourself and your lovely partner for making my wife and I so welcome. Thanks matey.

For anyone else thinking about attending any of the future meets, and maybe joining the club, I can only say you will definately be made very welcome, the guys and gals on VODC who attend these meets are very friendly and you will have a great time. I don't think I've talked so much for ages...lol. :D

cameron66
23-08-09, 09:58 PM
Forgot to mention that the guys at the Evesham meet even went to the trouble of arranging a special baloon for me as you can see in the pic.

Melbury
26-08-09, 07:40 PM
Just for curiousity, I thought I'd ask how you guys touch up your stone chips? In order to try and get a blemish free finish afterwards.

I use a piece of A4 paper folded into 4 and cut a tiny hole, in fact I will do this on 2 or 3 pieces of paper so I have different size holes in the A4 sheets.

I then place the sheet over the chip (using most appropiate sized hole for masking purposes, and line it up over the chip, the fold lines in the paper help you to position it better over the chip, and then give it a couple of coats of spray paint.
Finishing off with the clear laquer top coat, and then lightly rub with the very finest wet n dry, and a slight tcut, and polish.

Usually end up with a finish so the chip is almost invisible. This is a trick I saw the guy from the Chips Away company using. seems to work better than the touch up brushes.

How do you do yours. ?

I'm ashamed to say how i done mine but anyway they were miniscule although they really showed up in the black saphire. Well, from a halfords touch-up kit that i happened to have from some time long before the Insignia I just gave them a very slight dab with the point of a very fine artists brush,
( no! didn't use Halfords brush ) and left them at that.
I cant see them now but in the event of any more serious I will refer to your method which I have filed.

Melbury
26-08-09, 07:52 PM

Theres something to be said for having an old car, I think I will have to have one as i am at a loss as for doing a bit of poking at the Insignia would just not be on for a while. I will have to settle for poking at the lawn-mower.(lol):D