PDA

View Full Version : Insignia 2010MY Specification Changes

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 11:18 AM
As stated on other threads I have found out my Insignia SRi 160 NAV with 20" 5 Twinspoke Alloys of which I ordered from my company car scheme on 19th May 2009 has had the specification changed. I am taking delivery of this on October 2nd though its arriving at the dealers on September 11th so I may go and have a look over it before accepting it.

Email received from my Fleet Manager from Vauxhall

"Please be advised that this order was received on 19/05/09 and ordered on 21/05/09 well before the model change. However due to the high volume of Insignia orders this was moved over to 2010MY.
Therefore all the spec changes listed below have been included, i.e Carbon Flash, Electric Parking Brake etc etc.
Hope this helps"

Regards.....Ian Purvis
GM UK Fleet Order Fulfilment and Inventory -
General Motors UK Ltd, Griffin House (UK1-152-235), Osborne Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 3YT

You can view some of the new spec changes here;
http://www.gmukfleethub.co.uk/assets/ebulletins/VFL45422/Powerful_efficient_new_Insignia_BiTurbo_diesel.htm l

This means that my car will now come with the following now Standard of which I didnt expect when I ordered;
?An electric parking brake is now standard on all Insignia models
?Multi Function Entertainment Controller
?Black Sapphire exterior colour replaced by Carbon Flash
?SRi, SE and Elite models fitted with 1.8i 16v and 2.0CDTi 16v (130 and 160PS) power units no longer feature visible exhaust pipes
?The rear interior door handles on SRi models now feature a black finish, replacing the previous chrome finish

Im happy about the addition of electric parking brake and the entertainment controller but I will need to see what "Carbon Flash" looks like in the flesh as it doesnt "sound" like the Black Sapphire colour i ordered!

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 12:30 PM
I will need to see what "Carbon Flash" looks like in the flesh as it doesnt "sound" like the Black Sapphire colour i ordered!

Here is the new colour chart.....
https://www.gmproductforum.co.uk/articles/1996.pdf

Victorbox
21-08-09, 12:39 PM
If it's anything like a work colleague?s Passat you'll have fun with the electronic handbrake!!

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 12:42 PM
If it's anything like a work colleague’s Passat you'll have fun with the electronic handbrake!!

"Fun" as in quicker handbrake turns??!!! :D

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 12:44 PM
Here is the new colour chart.....
https://www.gmproductforum.co.uk/articles/1996.pdf

From what I can tell "Carbon Flash" is Black though with a more dark gray sparkle to it when light falls on it and my existing Black Sapphire Astra SRi has a "purpley" sparkle???

mitch1408
21-08-09, 12:46 PM
Or fun, as in having the balls to leave your new £20K+ car in the hands of a SWITCH!! LOL

Any one knows what the score is with the Elecronic parking brake if you get a flat battery? Especially if you are parked in a garage nose first and cant get jump leads to the batt?

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 12:49 PM
Was that an intentional spelling mistake Mitch?? "Elecronic" haha!!!

Hmmm looks like 2 half bricks kept in the boot then!!! :D

john57
21-08-09, 12:53 PM
If it's anything like a work colleague’s Passat you'll have fun with the electronic handbrake!!

I keep reading about some people having a total dislike of electronic handbrakes, but they never state what it is about the EH that they do not like.

Although, a very interesting question Mitch raises about having a flat battery.

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 01:02 PM
From what I can tell "Carbon Flash" is Black though with a more dark gray sparkle to it when light falls on it and my existing Black Sapphire Astra SRi has a "purpley" sparkle???

Carbon Flash coloured VXR Sport Tourer - I like it more than Black Sapphire!!! Maybe its because Carbon Flash is a Metallic Paint and Black Sapphire was a Pearlescent Paint?

cameron66
21-08-09, 01:38 PM
Re. The electronic parking brake.

I've had a Insignia fitted with the electric parking brake, and found it worked reasonably well, other than on a real steepish hill near us which has traffic lights, Just did'nt seem to work 100% properly, and not as natural to control or use as a manual handbrake. It felt as though it was still on when I started away, and putting extra strain on the clutch on the one I had.

This is one area, I think I prefer my old fashioned handbrake, according to my local sales manager he reckons, VX have dropped the manual handbrake simply because it saves them money, dont know how true that is. Also a couple of mechanics voiced their concerns too, they dont seem to like them at all, unless they were just saying that for my benefit...lol

Interesting to see how reliable it is, after a couple of years use. Many cars are switching over to them. So Its obviously the way ahead, I just think that it's something else to go wrong. In any case, one now has no choice.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in VX/Opel handbrakes, whatever type...lol having had a previous Vec-c hand brake release itself, fortunately my cars always left in gear, as of course all cars should be when parked up..

Interesting question, re. what happens if the battery were flat. I would assume it could not be released if its electrically operated, a very interesting question, as long as it does'nt self release when the voltage gets low or something silly thats the main thing.

john57
21-08-09, 02:01 PM
Re. The electronic parking brake.

I've had a Insignia fitted with the electric parking brake, and found it worked reasonably well, other than on a real steepish hill near us which has traffic lights, Just did'nt seem to work 100% properly, and not as natural to control or use as a manual handbrake. It felt as though it was still on when I started away, and putting extra strain on the clutch on the one I had.

This is one area, I think I prefer my old fashioned handbrake, according to my local sales manager he reckons, VX have dropped the manual handbrake simply because it saves them money, dont know how true that is. Also a couple of mechanics voiced their concerns too, they dont seem to like them at all, unless they were just saying that for my benefit...lol

Interesting to see how reliable it is, after a couple of years use. Many cars are switching over to them. So Its obviously the way ahead, I just think that it's something else to go wrong. In any case, one now has no choice.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in VX/Opel handbrakes, whatever type...lol having had a previous Vec-c hand brake release itself, fortunately my cars always left in gear, as of course all cars should be when parked up..

Interesting question, re. what happens if the battery were flat. I would assume it could not be released if its electrically operated, a very interesting question, as long as it does'nt self release when the voltage gets low or something silly thats the main thing.

Cheers for the feedback Cameron.

cameron66
21-08-09, 02:03 PM
I dont think I would be too happy with black door handles on the rear doors if I had a Sri on order, dont sound right does it, even the basic models all came with chrome door handles all round. I lost out on the leather covered gear lever knob they used to fit.

They had a couple of new Black Insignia's and others delivered while I was in the dealers, and the black looks the same to me, maybe not quite such a deep shiny black as the one already in the showroom, but that would have recieved a good polish I assume. Looked very nice to me anyway.

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 02:03 PM
Electric Parking Brake Info From The Manual
Applying when vehicle is stationary Pull switch, the electrical parking brake operates automatically with an adequate force. For maximum force,
e.g. parking with trailer or on inclines, pull switch twice.
The electrical parking brake can always be activated, even if the ignition is off. Do not operate electrical parking brake system too often without engine running because this will discharge the battery.

Before leaving the vehicle, check the electrical parking brake status. Control indicator.
Releasing Switch on ignition. Keep foot brake pedal depressed and then push switch. Drive away function Depressing clutch pedal (manual transmission) or engaging drive gear (automatic transmission) and then depressing the accelerator pedal releases the electrical parking brake automatically. This is not possible when the switch is pulled. This function also helps driving away
on inclines. Aggressive drive away may reduce life time of wear parts.
Dynamic braking when vehicle is moving. When the vehicle is moving and the switch is kept pulled, the electrical parking brake system will decelerate the vehicle, but will not apply statically. As soon as the switch is released, dynamic braking will be stopped.
Fault Failure mode of electrical parking brake is indicated by a control indicator and by a code number or a vehicle message which is displayed in the Driver Information Center.
Apply electrical parking brake: pull and hold the switch for more than 5 seconds. If control indicator illuminates, electrical parking brake is applied.
Release electrical parking brake: push and hold the switch for more than 2 seconds. If control indicator goes out, electrical parking brake is released.
Control indicator flashes: electrical parking brake is not fully applied or released. When continuously flashing, release electrical parking brake and retry applying.

john57
21-08-09, 02:20 PM
Applying when vehicle is stationary Pull switch, the electrical parking brake operates automatically with an adequate force. For maximum force,
The electrical parking brake can always be activated, even if the ignition is off. Do not operate electrical parking brake system too often without engine running because this will discharge the battery.

Before leaving the vehicle, check the electrical parking brake status. Control indicator.
Releasing Switch on ignition. Keep foot brake pedal depressed and then push switch. Drive away function Depressing clutch pedal (manual transmission) or engaging drive gear (automatic transmission) and then depressing the accelerator pedal releases the electrical parking brake automatically. This is not possible when the switch is pulled. This function also helps driving away
Dynamic braking when vehicle is moving. When the vehicle is moving and the switch is kept pulled, the electrical parking brake system will decelerate the vehicle, but will not apply statically. As soon as the switch is released, dynamic braking will be stopped.
Fault Failure mode of electrical parking brake is indicated by a control indicator and by a code number or a vehicle message which is displayed in the Driver Information Center.
Apply electrical parking brake: pull and hold the switch for more than 5 seconds. If control indicator illuminates, electrical parking brake is applied.
Release electrical parking brake: push and hold the switch for more than 2 seconds. If control indicator goes out, electrical parking brake is released.
Control indicator flashes: electrical parking brake is not fully applied or released. When continuously flashing, release electrical parking brake and retry applying.

Thanks that's a big help in understanding how it works.

cameron66
21-08-09, 02:31 PM

Originally it was possible to move off as discribed above and it would release itself, in addition to releasing it as discribed above from the manual. So maybe now they are saying you have to release it yourself when applied on hard, perhaps to avoid those binding issues they had earlier.

One thing I can tell you.... you must always apply the footbrake everytime as we should do anyway on any car fitted with rear discs which is basically all cars these days, otherwise it does'nt apply sufficent pressure to stop it rolling back on a steep hill, this certainly applied to the model I drove a few weeks ago. You are forced to apply the footbrake everytime anyway, because there is a very slight delay for the handbrake to operate, you can actually hear it whirring.

At least its easy to operate, and as long as you put pressure on the footbrake which you would anyway it would certainly hold well even on the steepest hills.

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know if the Multi-Function Controller is a joypad that can be used to move around the Nav screen with (like the one in the middle of the dash) or is it simply a push and turn button used for scrolling through menus?
Im liking all the new toys I will be getting on my SRi :D

Im not that bothered with losing the "chrome" effect rear inner door handles to be honest, would have been more stuff for my Mountain Bike to scratch really!!!

mitch1408
21-08-09, 02:44 PM
Quite a few replies ref the parking brake there, but unless ive missed it, it doesnt cover what happens with a flat battery.... Any ideas?

cameron66
21-08-09, 02:50 PM

Im not that bothered with losing the "chrome" effect rear inner door handles to be honest, would have been more stuff for my Mountain Bike to scratch really!!!

I'm sure you will be really chuffed with it matey, I bet you can't wait!.:D

What I was getting at with the door handles... was.. they state they are making the rear ones black, which was previously chrome, they dont mention the fronts, surely they are not leaving the fronts chrome. IOW whatever the colour all 4 will be the same finish wont they.?

Its almost reading like they were changing only the rear ones... :confused:

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 02:55 PM
Its almost reading like they were changing only the rear ones... :confused:

sounds like they are only changing the rears to black. my astra sri is the same now though, and although like you said its a bit of a cheapening of the overall look, i dont notice it in my astra.

john57
21-08-09, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know if the Multi-Function Controller is a joypad that can be used to move around the Nav screen with (like the one in the middle of the dash) or is it simply a push and turn button used for scrolling through menus?

Are you sure you are loosing the chrome effect on the rear inside door handles, I know gmukfleet originally stated that in July, but they have since retracted that on their 3rd August bulletin, which is still on their current web page.

They have also retracted their original statements that

1. They were withdrawing the sports foot pedals, not now the case, as from
3rd August.

2. The Stainless Steel rear bumper protector was being added, but as from
3rd August, this is not the case and still only applies to the Sports Tourer.

cameron66
21-08-09, 03:17 PM
Quite a few replies ref the parking brake there, but unless ive missed it, it doesnt cover what happens with a flat battery.... Any ideas?

I've just made a quick phone call and asked that question, and as we suspected, you have to put a charged battery on the car to release it. He said what do you expect its an 'electric handbrake' and works off a e/motor, a real misserable sod he was, I must have been stopping him from going home I think..LOL

Re. the handles. I cant believe they are saving a couple of pence by having different finish handles... crazy... :( Still cant see why are they still putting the 4 chrome ones on the other models, and not the Sri, seems silly to me. ah well.

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 03:17 PM
but they have since retracted that on their 3rd August bulletin, which is still on their current web page.

any chance of posting the link to this more up to date bulletin please?

john57
21-08-09, 03:24 PM
any chance of posting the link to this more up to date bulletin please?

Sorry I am a computer numpty and don't know how to post a link, but if you put gmukfleethub.co.uk into google, it's the first one that comes up and then go into news and then Vauxhall.

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 03:31 PM
Sorry I am a computer numpty and don't know how to post a link, but if you put gmukfleethub.co.uk into google, it's the first one that comes up and then go into news and then Vauxhall.

no worries here it is! :D
http://www.gmukfleethub.co.uk/assets/ebulletins/VFL45438/index.html

Rockh
21-08-09, 03:36 PM

It's just a push and turn knob with buttons in front to select navi, audio, phone and destination.

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 03:39 PM
It's just a push and turn knob with buttons in front to select navi, audio, phone and destination.

cheers for that Rockh! i notice your in Whitley Bay, im in Gosforth and my office is even closer to you at Shiremoor! :)

cameron66
21-08-09, 03:50 PM
Re. Sri Handles.
Good to see a bit of common sense prevailing at VX/Opel.

They must sit round a big table trying to think of ways to save a few pence.:D

john57
21-08-09, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=cameron 66;91097]I've just made a quick phone call and asked that question, and as we suspected, you have to put a charged battery on the car to release it. He said what do you expect its an 'electric handbrake' and works off a e/motor, a real miserable sod he was, I must have been stopping him from going home I think..LOL

With all the electrics in a car nowadays, is it not about time that cars had two batteries in them. One for the essentials such as sartring the car, lights and now electronic hand brakes and one for less essential things such as radio/cd, Sat Nav, non essential lighting, with the ability to switch over power from batteries in emergencies.

mitch1408
21-08-09, 04:20 PM
Once a car is running the alternator charges the battery and provides the power for the car so dont think there is a need for a battery for things like satnav, radio etc. A cause for flat batteries is either leaving the car not running for long periods of time or, the most common cause, people being lazy:confused: and doing short journeys in them totalling only a few miles. The power required to start a car, warm it up etc and only drive a few miles is the main reason batteries die.

lewisburglin
21-08-09, 04:22 PM
Happy about most, not so happy about the Non Visable Exhaust....loses the sportyness.lol :-(

cameron66
21-08-09, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=cameron 66;91097]
With all the electrics in a car nowadays, is it not about time that cars had two batteries in them. One for the essentials such as sartring the car, lights and now electronic hand brakes and one for less essential things such as radio/cd, Sat Nav, non essential lighting, with the ability to switch over power from batteries in emergencies.

To be fair.. when was the last time you had a flat battery? I tend to change my cars anyway before they are 3 years old, so the batteries have never shown any signs of dying. Plus these days, with all the warning noises when you leave any lights on, its a very rare occurance indeed to end up with a flat battery. I cant even remember the last time I could'nt start the car due to a flat battery, must be over 30 years ago.

Having said that... I noticed a couple of weeks ago that My dipped lights had turned themselves on, in fact it was my wife who spotted them shining through the front lounge blinds just before going to bed at around 11.30pm. It was pitch black outside as we live out in the sticks. I went outside and turned them off, and its not done it since, at least not that I've noticed. Have since come across someone else mentioning he's had it happen too.

No issue's with battery so far anyway.
Why the hell they did'nt have a proper off Switch is beyond me.:confused:

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 04:30 PM
Happy about most, not so happy about the Non Visable Exhaust....loses the sportyness.lol :-(

im sure you can source one of those family sized bean cans that you see on all those saxo's from somewhere mate :D

mitch1408
21-08-09, 04:31 PM

I have to agree there mate, thought it would look pretty nice with but dont know what i think about not being able to see them! Wish they would ask you if they can make changes and if you want the old or new style!

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 04:34 PM
To be fair.. when was the last time you had a flat battery?

i just asked for mine to be changed last week on its MOT before i hand it back as i was having to be jump started every few days or so!
though i do run 2 mobile phones, a tomtom one, a roadangel plus and a bluetooth kit from it!! looks like a xmas tree inside when all lit up :D

john57
21-08-09, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=john57;91107]

To be fair.. when was the last time you had a flat battery? I tend to change my cars anyway before they are 3 years old, so the batteries have never shown any signs of dying. Plus these days, with all the warning noises when you leave any lights on, its a very rare occurrence indeed to end up with a flat battery. I cant even remember the last time I couldn't start the car due to a flat battery, must be over 30 years ago.

Having said that... I noticed a couple of weeks ago that My dipped lights had turned themselves on, in fact it was my wife who spotted them shining through the front lounge blinds just before going to bed at around 11.30pm. It was pitch black outside as we live out in the sticks. I went outside and turned them off, and its not done it since, at least not that I've noticed. Have since come across someone else mentioning he's had it happen too.

No issue's with battery so far anyway.
Why the hell they didn't have a proper off Switch is beyond me.:confused:

Once a car is running the alternator charges the battery and provides the power for the car so dont think there is a need for a battery for things like sat nav, radio etc. A cause for flat batteries is either leaving the car not running for long periods of time or, the most common cause, people being lazy:confused: and doing short journeys in them totalling only a few miles. The power required to start a car, warm it up etc and only drive a few miles is the main reason batteries die.

As someone who has had a few flat batteries on my current Citroen C4, the last being Tuesday, maybe in part not being run enough and for short journeys, but not due to laziness. I have also had the battery replaced due to a faulty battery and also had a faulty alternator in the past.

So, as Forrest Gump once said "Flat Batteries Happen" .....(or was that "xxxx Happens"), ........doesn't really matter the principle's the same. LOL

So, I'm registering the patent for it anyway.

cameron66
21-08-09, 05:17 PM
So it looks like jump starting the car may not be a option then. :confused:

john57
21-08-09, 05:38 PM
So it looks like jump starting the car may not be a option then. :confused:

No it won't always be an option, if you have no other car available or are in a remote place and don't fancy waiting over an hour for the AA/RAC. Or as the RAC once asked me "we are very busy today, so if it's at the house can we come tomorrow".

Ironically the only two people who have so far left feedback, that having two batteries in a car is a duff idea, (which it may or may not be) are Mitch who originally raised the problem of what happens if you have an electronic handbrake and can't get access to the flat battery and you, Cameron who thought it worth the bother of phoning some grumpy person on the subject, even though you (after 30 years of being flat battery free) thought the chances of someone getting a flat battery was so remote.

I'll make a deal with you both, if the five Dragons turn me down, then I'll accept your views and bury the idea. LOL.

thermalactivity
21-08-09, 05:56 PM
I'll make a deal with you both, if the five Dragons turn me down, then I'll accept your views and bury the idea. LOL.

im afraid the dragons will turn your patent down as someone has already invented the "insignia electronic handbrake recharger" which slips nicely into your boot!

Rockh
21-08-09, 05:56 PM
cheers for that Rockh! i notice your in Whitley Bay, im in Gosforth and my office is even closer to you at Shiremoor! :)

Funny that, I work in Shiremoor, New York Road, large building with the 45m mast :D

mitch1408
21-08-09, 05:57 PM

DEAL lol ;)(-

Rockh
21-08-09, 05:59 PM

All the vans at work have split chargers for a 2nd battery to power all the ancillary stuff.

Slider
22-08-09, 07:05 AM
My previous car had an electric parking brake and it is one of the things I miss, wish now I had held on for a month or two.

cameron66
22-08-09, 08:18 AM
My previous car had an electric parking brake and it is one of the things I miss, wish now I had held on for a month or two.

Does'nt bother me at all. I actually prefer my manual h/brake, more control of the car on hills, and less to go wrong. No battery required to release the brake. I like having electronic toys, but the less electronics has to do with brakes especially handbrakes the better in my book, remember I am almost 67yrs. Its enough that aeroplanes fly by wire without cars being fly by wire too.

You youngsters are welcome to such gadgets, me I'll take the belt and bracers approach..:D:D

rosco
22-08-09, 10:38 AM
Does'nt bother me at all. I actually prefer my manual h/brake, more control of the car on hills, and less to go wrong. No battery required to release the brake. I like having electronic toys, but the less electronics has to do with brakes especially handbrakes the better in my book, remember I am almost 67yrs. Its enough that aeroplanes fly by wire without cars being fly by wire too.

You youngsters are welcome to such gadgets, me I'll take the belt and bracers approach..:D:D

No need to generalize so much im only 19 and id never have electronic handbrakes or any of that sort of tat. mind you ive just bought an insignia... way well be ageing ahead of my time..

martin99
22-08-09, 04:38 PM
I will hate myself for saying this as the electronic hb will now malfunction :D but I prefer them to the manual hb, and the Insignia HB is so much better to live with then the Passat I had before :cool:

rosco
22-08-09, 07:59 PM
No need to generalize so much im only 19 and id never have electronic handbrakes or any of that sort of tat. mind you ive just bought an insignia... way well be ageing ahead of my time..

didnt mean to sound rude had been awake on a 24hr duty, during which a bomb scare occured... good job it was a drill:mad:

Mr Elite
23-08-09, 07:35 AM
Just found this that should stop the handbrake - flat battery - unable to open bonnet discussion.
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792927431-auto-starter-car-battery-charger.html

know this is American but I have seen it in the UK.

thermalactivity
23-08-09, 09:46 AM
Just found this that should stop the handbrake - flat battery - unable to open bonnet discussion.
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792927431-auto-starter-car-battery-charger.html

Good find Mr Elite! Sounds like a worthwhile piece of kit to have just in case this happens. Surely all car makers who install an electronic handbrake in their cars should supply something like this as standard in case of emergency? It can also be used as a Portable 12V powerpack.
here it is from amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Jumper-Battery-Start-Starter/dp/B001FZKS6U

Rockh
23-08-09, 10:06 AM

I know a couple of people who have these and they seem like a good idea. However the only problem is the insignia 12v socket is not live unless the ignition is on, so some form of mod to make it a permanent live would be needed for this to work I would think.

cameron66
23-08-09, 03:08 PM
didnt mean to sound rude had been awake on a 24hr duty, during which a bomb scare occured... good job it was a drill:mad:

I did'nt think you were rude at all matey, I found it refreshing that a younger person shared my thoughts on the subject, but will take your advice and not generalise so much either. :D If I had been supplied with a electronic handbrake model I'd have been equally satisfied I'm sure, I was just voicing a personal opinion on the handbrake.

We all have different likes/dislikes, same with favourite colours etc.

Myself personally would rather see less of the toys I dont use, and more of the stuff I might use often.

A bit like the electric seat adjustments, if your the only driver, then how often do you adjust the seat once its setup.. in my case the answer is never, same thing with the auto lights for me anyway. Rather be able switch off permanently or not have them at all. Giving me a USB socket would have been more useful, also perhaps Bluetooth and little things like that, but thats just me. Vx will never please everyone 100%. regardless what they do :D As for me, I'm getting more happy with the car as time passes.

rosco
23-08-09, 04:21 PM
I did'nt think you were rude at all matey, I found it refreshing that a younger person shared my thoughts on the subject, but will take your advice and not generalise so much either. :D If I had been supplied with a electronic handbrake model I'd have been equally satisfied I'm sure, I was just voicing a personal opinion on the handbrake.

We all have different likes/dislikes, same with favourite colours etc.

Myself personally would rather see less of the toys I dont use, and more of the stuff I might use often.

A bit like the electric seat adjustments, if your the only driver, then how often do you adjust the seat once its setup.. in my case the answer is never, same thing with the auto lights for me anyway. Rather be able switch off permanently or not have them at all. Giving me a USB socket would have been more useful, also perhaps Bluetooth and little things like that, but thats just me. Vx will never please everyone 100%. regardless what they do :D As for me, I'm getting more happy with the car as time passes.

I hate the way most modern things, not just cars seem to rely mostly on computers. my aim with my cavalier was to keep it as manual as possible, ie not putting PAS, injection etc on. however i will be going for electric windows :p.

Definately wont be using the cruise control on my insignia even on my trips from germany to the uk.

cameron66
23-08-09, 05:14 PM
I hate the way most modern things, not just cars seem to rely mostly on computers. my aim with my cavalier was to keep it as manual as possible, ie not putting PAS, injection etc on. however i will be going for electric windows :p.

Definately wont be using the cruise control on my insignia even on my trips from germany to the uk.

Oh... the cruise control is definately worth having IMO, especially on those long motorway type trips, and more so on the continent where traffic is much less on motorways etc.

Some gadgets are definately worth having, and some not so worthwhile, down to personal choice. I'm not saying sling all electronics out of a car...lol, but what I would like to see is less of the useless gimicks and more of the more useful things thats currently classed as extra options become a standard fitment.

As always... like I stated, its difficult to please everyone, one person will love a certain feature while someone else may hate it, cant please everyone.

mitch1408
23-08-09, 05:48 PM

I love all the gadgets and go through the options list finding more and more untill im out of cash! The only dowside is, when they go wrong they are expensive. As happened today, the engine management light flashed up on my astra and had a near total loss of power. I was fairly close to a vauxhall garage so took it there and it was shut (being sunday). Called the AA out and they said "with modern cars its all computers and theres nothing I can do" :eek: So we left it at the garage and they brought me home!

Will see how much that costs me in the morning, or more to the point if there is a short term "bodge it" fix they can do as its the one ive part Ex'd for the Insignia! LOL

thermalactivity
23-08-09, 06:43 PM
Oh... the cruise control is definately worth having IMO

I LOVE the cruise control on my Astra SRi - best 20quid i ever spent! YES 20quid! I bought a new cruise control indicator stalk a week after i received my Astra, plugged it in then took it into a Vauxhall dealer complaining that the Cruise Control had stopped working. Because its a company car and the dealer couldnt bring up the records to see if id had it fitted from new they just TECH2'd it and VOILA cruise control for 20quid! IMHO now having it for 3 years i would have gladly paid for it to be fitted on my original order - pleased my new Insignia SRi has it as standard.

38 Days and Counting for Delivery of Carbon Flash Insignia SRi 160 Nav with 20's!

mitch1408
23-08-09, 06:52 PM
38 Days and Counting for Delivery of Carbon Flash Insignia SRi 160 Nav with 20's!

63 Days for me!! :mad:

lewisburglin
23-08-09, 07:12 PM
39 for me :-)

iangte
23-08-09, 07:54 PM
well one day you'll own a proper vauxhall

lewisburglin
23-08-09, 08:42 PM
does a nova not count then?lol
I think the Insignia, new Astra and the forth coming Ampera are positive steps for VX.

mitch1408
23-08-09, 09:33 PM
does a nova not count then?lol
I think the Insignia, new Astra and the forth coming Ampera are positive steps for VX.

I agree the Insignia and Ampera are positive steps, but the new Astra looks terrible.

Its like what Volkwagen did with the Golf. The took all the manly, sharp, bold looks away and made it look the the VW Polo in drag. Sadly the same has happened with the Astra. Every one of its sharp, bold lines have gone, replaced by smooth, bubbly ones. Its like the current one got fat and doesnt quite fit in its skin anymore. Sad really. :(

Defo wont be buying one!

cameron66
23-08-09, 09:40 PM
I LOVE the cruise control on my Astra SRi - best 20quid i ever spent! YES 20quid! I bought a new cruise control indicator stalk a week after i received my Astra, plugged it in then took it into a Vauxhall dealer complaining that the Cruise Control had stopped working. Because its a company car and the dealer couldnt bring up the records to see if id had it fitted from new they just TECH2'd it and VOILA cruise control for 20quid! IMHO now having it for 3 years i would have gladly paid for it to be fitted on my original order - pleased my new Insignia SRi has it as standard.

38 days will soon pass.....:D

I've had 4 cars now with cruise control, and initially some people when first un-accustomed to it feel a little nervous using it...like they dont have 100% full control over the car IYKWIM, but that feeling quickly passes as you start to realise how useful it is. I dont bother with it myself locally of course but for those long motorway runs, its actually quite useful. It can also often improve your fuel consumption a wee bit on long motorway runs too.

essixash
24-08-09, 09:35 PM
Are you sure you are loosing the chrome effect on the rear inside door handles, I know gmukfleet originally stated that in July, but they have since retracted that on their 3rd August bulletin, which is still on their current web page.

They have also retracted their original statements that

1. They were withdrawing the sports foot pedals, not now the case, as from
3rd August.

2. The Stainless Steel rear bumper protector was being added, but as from
3rd August, this is not the case and still only applies to the Sports Tourer.

Ive not been notified of any changes, i ordered mine in may it comes next month

essixash
24-08-09, 09:38 PM
63 Days for me!! :mad:

27 for me now :)

essixash
24-08-09, 09:39 PM
27 for me now :)

possibly only 22 :)

mitch1408
24-08-09, 10:02 PM

Good point, I havnt been notified of any changes either. I only found out there was any difference in what i ordered and what ill get because of this site! Pretty shocking really!:eek:

essixash
24-08-09, 10:07 PM
Good point, I havnt been notified of any changes either. I only found out there was any difference in what i ordered and what ill get because of this site! Pretty shocking really!:eek:

Thats really bad actually aint it lol

john57
24-08-09, 11:21 PM

I wasn't told of any changes either, I just saw the changes on the GMUKFLEET web site changes and when I asked Elizabeth Cookson (Vauxhall Executive Support Manager) on 23rd July and she said that the colour was still Silver Lightning.

However Jim Speirs of Arnold Clark said at the start of August that he had word through that he should get the car by 8th or 9th September and when asked about the colour, he said the system was showing it to be Silver Lake and it appeared to show the car with the "Tyre Pressure Monitoring System", although he didn't seem 100% sure on that one.

As Silver Lake appears to be a MY2010, I would assume that the rest of the changes would come into effect, after the factory re-opened on 17th August.

We shall know shortly, when the first person to get their car, finds out if it has the changes in it.

thermalactivity
25-08-09, 08:59 AM
We shall know shortly, when the first person to get their car, finds out if it has the changes in it.

Well as I mentioned on the start up of this thread, im definitely getting the 2010MY spec changes on my car and I ordered it in mid May!

Ness
25-08-09, 03:05 PM
Hi
after reading the above ref changes went back to VX dealer where i ordered car a long time ago to be told by the Sales Manager that the colour has more then likely been changed to CARBON FLASH (asked to see sample) said he would be surprised if he saw one b4 a months time , as whether any thing else has been changed from spec i.e visable exhaust ,he thought as it was SRi didn,t think that would be affected ,also said when the car comes in they will check it with what they ordered,but it seems to be up to the manufactor if they want to change the spec without informing the dealer or the customer( is this standard in the motor trade) in my line of work if the spec is changed or we cant get the colour ,we inform customer to cancel or reslect to new colour....

asked what happened if i wasn,t happy with the colour and he said O we would sell it to someone else, what about me i,ve waited 5 months just went quiet.....did mention should be here within 7 days its sitting @docks zeebrugge i think he said so why can,t someone find out what spec is on this motor(or does it just turn up and then the dealer sorts out whos car it is) sorry to go on been looking forward to this for a while ...right thats out of the way back to looking forward to the 10th of sept 2009....!!!!

Ness
25-08-09, 03:07 PM
Hi
sorry about this

Ness
25-08-09, 03:12 PM
17 days for me (hopefully)

PRO-INSIGNIA
25-08-09, 05:42 PM
as whether any thing else has been changed from spec i.e visable exhaust ,he thought as it was SRi didn,t think that would be affected

The way I understand it. Only SRIs above 160bhp will now have a visible exhaust tail pipe. So its only 2.0 Turbo Petrol and the new Bi-Turbo Diesel when it comes out that get the visible pipe.:rolleyes:

My Exclusive should have come with a visible pipe as part of the VXR pack. The dealer has ordered one because I complained. This was 3 weeks ago now and I still not heard anything from them as to whether the parts have come in. I bet they think I have forgotten and I am not bothered now!:mad: I will give them a phone call and remind them tomorrow!;)

thermalactivity
25-08-09, 07:05 PM
it seems to be up to the manufactor if they want to change the spec without informing the dealer or the customer( is this standard in the motor trade) in my line of work if the spec is changed or we cant get the colour ,we inform customer to cancel or reslect to new colour....
!!!!

i only found out about the spec changes due to extensive googling and by chance at that! when we sign on the dotted line with my company car scheme we can state items of standard spec that, if changed in between ordering the car and taking delivery of it we can then cancel the order upon delivery. i stated that if the following items were changed from standard spec then i can cancel the order;
cruise control, black sapphire paint, traction/esp control, dvd800 sat nav, fog lights, trip computer, 160ps engine, single zone climate control, ergonomic sports seats, 20" alloys.
im fortunate that non of the above has changed except the colour to carbon flash black of which im happy to accept.
surely people who ordered a car assuming it had some of the items on that have changed, the dealer should have made the customer aware of this immediately and asked if they still wished to go ahead with the purchase? a case for the trade descriptions act perhaps?

thermalactivity
02-09-09, 01:06 PM
Ive just received an email from my contract hire leasing manager about the delivery and specification of my new car. They cant definitely confirm which of the 2010MY spec changes will appear on my car before its delivered to the holding area at Tees Dock, Middlesbrough. With this in mind I am now awaiting a further email to arrange a viewing of the car when it arrives at the Dock in a week or so's time. Id like to check the spec at the earliest opportunity so that the dealer may be able to rectify any untold of changes to the spec that I ordered in May, before it gets delivered to me on October 1st.

lewisburglin
03-09-09, 08:52 AM
Hi Gents,
Just to let you know mine was built as the 2010MY as well, ordered 1st May, but got confirmed from the dealers:
Electric Handbrake
Multi entertainment controller
Aluminum Pedal set
Silver inserts in doors
BUT>>>>> No Visable Exaulst. :-(

essixash
03-09-09, 08:59 AM
ill be so xxxxed if there aint any aluminium pedals lol

lewisburglin
03-09-09, 09:07 AM
ill be so xxxxed if there aint any aluminium pedals lol

Yeah I would be mate, im xxxx*d about the exhaulst but i'll gete over it i think...its new car time!-)

thermalactivity
03-09-09, 06:14 PM
BUT>>>>> No Visable Exaulst. :-(

hmmmm i like the visible exhaust so really hope mine is one of the early 2010 models that they didnt change this on.......:(

essixash
07-09-09, 04:27 PM
I have to say im not overly bothered with the changes. I would like all of the things listed but if they dont have it then im not too fussed either really. Its only a few small things, anything huge and i might be a little annoyed

thermalactivity
07-09-09, 07:50 PM
Just to let you know mine was built as the 2010MY as well, ordered 1st May, but got confirmed from the dealers:
Electric Handbrake
Multi entertainment controller

Found out today that two of my colleagues who ordered their identical Insignia SRi's at the same time in May had their cars delivered last week. One had the Electronic Handbrake and Multi Entertainment Controller fitted - One didnt!!! :eek:

lewisburglin
07-09-09, 08:30 PM
Found out today that two of my colleagues who ordered their identical Insignia SRi's at the same time in May had their cars delivered last week. One had the Electronic Handbrake and Multi Entertainment Controller fitted - One didnt!!! :eek:

OMG, I'd be sooooo pi**ed it i was the one that didnt!!!

It seems these spec inconsistancies aren't monitored by VX it just seemed to be luck of the draw or a case of "whats left on the shelf", shame really.
I was dissapointed not to get the visable exhalst but would of been more annoyed if i didnt have the controller.

Were both the cars with NAV?

thermalactivity
07-09-09, 08:46 PM
Were both the cars with NAV?

yep both cars were nav :confused: hence why i contacted my fleet manager as soon as i found out mine was a 2010MY as i wanted to know what it had on it before delivery...

Rockh
07-09-09, 08:51 PM
Probably depends on the colour, if one ordered a popular one then they could get the later spec.
The green one at work is horrid. Only seen it in passing so no idea of the spec though it did have a hidden exhaust.
I'm off to spend a few hours in the dealers tomorrow to get them to look at my colour display as it has lines appearing on the display, it seems to get worse day on day and it will be completely knackered soon. Not holding my breath for a speedy replacement or VX arguing that I've damaged it, will leave that to fleet.

thermalactivity
07-09-09, 08:55 PM
Not holding my breath for a speedy replacement or VX arguing that I've damaged it, will leave that to fleet.

looks like the howdon garage may have to get more than just 2 vectra pool cars in if all our fleet of insignias are going to be getting repaired at the same time :(

Rockh
08-09-09, 12:41 PM
looks like the howdon garage may have to get more than just 2 vectra pool cars in if all our fleet of insignias are going to be getting repaired at the same time :(

Dealer will be ordering a replacement CID but TIS does not show the part number and they have no idea on delivery. Waiting on a phone call in the next few days.

Mick has plenty of motors just some are reserved, have zero fuel in or are just rubbish....

thermalactivity
08-09-09, 01:04 PM
All you guys waiting for insignia's,,, what are you driving now??

well im driving an astra sri cdti 150 of which ive had for 2 years 11 months and 8.5 days!! just had a phonecall from my fleet manager this morning confirming my new registration plate and delivery date of my insignia is definitely thursday 1st october - only 22.5 days to go :D:D

thermalactivity
08-09-09, 02:22 PM
Hi Gents,
No Visible Exhaust. :-(

Well ive just received this email from my fleet manager and gmuk fleet manager and mine HAS the visible exhaust pipe on it and I ordered it on May 21st :confused: :D

My email
"Many thanks for the information and delivery date for my new car.
Now that the car is at the dealers would it be possible for them to
confirm that the following spec is on my car;
Colour is Carbon Flash Black
Electronic Handbrake fitted
Multi Function Entertainment Controller fitted
Visible Exhaust Tailpipe
Rear Interior Door Handles are Chrome Finish
Aluminium Pedals
And anything else that has changed from standard specification when I
ordered it in May."

Reply from gmuk fleet
"As discussed I can confirm that this vehicle is a 2010MY and will have all the options detailed above on his vehicle.
Hope this helps.
Any problems please let me know.

Regards.....Ian Purvis
General Motors UK Ltd, Griffin House (UK1-152-235), Osborne Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 3YT"

lewisburglin
08-09-09, 03:33 PM
Well ive just received this email from my fleet manager and gmuk fleet manager and mine HAS the visible exhaust pipe on it and I ordered it on May 21st :confused: :D

My email
Visible Exhaust Tailpipe
Aluminium Pedals
ordered it in May."

Reply from gmuk fleet
"As discussed I can confirm that this vehicle is a 2010MY and will have all the options detailed above on his vehicle.
Hope this helps.

Regards.....Ian Purvis
General Motors UK Ltd, Griffin House (UK1-152-235), Osborne Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 3YT"

Thats annoyed me a little as mine was ordered on the 5th of May and I didnt get the Visable exhaulst. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

thermalactivity
08-09-09, 03:37 PM
One of our guys on here has always said, at the factory they say "lets see what we have left in the box to fit",
seems he was right & nothing has changed, years down the line??:(:(

Thats annoyed me a little as mine was ordered on the 5th of May and I didnt get the Visable exhaulst. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

sounds like mitch may have been correct then lewis?? as after hearing about your loss of visible exhaust i was expecting the same with my car...
im pleased that ive got it on mine as it does make it look a little sportier ;)

essixash
08-09-09, 04:56 PM

My email
Visible Exhaust Tailpipe
Aluminium Pedals
ordered it in May."

Reply from gmuk fleet
Hope this helps.

Regards.....Ian Purvis

Oh wow mine was ordered may 21st aswell and its arrived at the dealers today i just got a call 30 mins ago

lewisburglin
08-09-09, 06:03 PM
Where's ash........? Hes peering through the gate at the dealers!

Thanks Thermal, wind me up a bit more.LOL:p

essixash
08-09-09, 07:20 PM
Where's ash........? Hes peering through the gate at the dealers!

Thanks Thermal, wind me up a bit more.LOL:p

i was actually :o i went round every part of the site trying to find it but it must be inside lol :(

thermalactivity
08-09-09, 08:27 PM
i was actually :o i went round every part of the site trying to find it but it must be inside lol :(

it will have been in the workshop having a few bits and pieces repaired before you receive it :D seriously though i hope everything is ok with your new car and you enjoy it mate!

lewisburglin
08-09-09, 08:57 PM
it will have been in the workshop having a few bits and pieces repaired before you receive it :D seriously though i hope everything is ok with your new car and you enjoy it mate!

LOL!!!! They had to replace the armrest. Im sure its just so they can clean it up and prep it for you, you might have it Thurs/Friday???!

essixash
08-09-09, 10:00 PM
lol i wont accept a car with mileage like his was when he collected it

Not sure wen ill collect but ill get all the details tomorrow, reg plate etc

i prob wont collect till next week sometime tho

thermalactivity
08-09-09, 10:12 PM
lol i wont accept a car with mileage like his was when he collected it
Not sure wen ill collect but ill get all the details tomorrow, reg plate etc
i prob wont collect till next week sometime tho

i think cameron was VERY unlucky with his car as it must have been made on a monday morning and then finished off on a friday afternoon! and during the week the workers must have had a few nights out :confused:
im sure yours will be fine mate, feel free to get some pics up as soon as you get it. what model/spec/colour are you getting?

thermalactivity
08-09-09, 10:29 PM
Obviously the germans are no better than us at making good cars??:)

ah yes but german beer is a LOT stronger than british beer!

essixash
08-09-09, 11:35 PM
i think cameron was VERY unlucky with his car as it must have been made on a monday morning and then finished off on a friday afternoon! and during the week the workers must have had a few nights out :confused:
im sure yours will be fine mate, feel free to get some pics up as soon as you get it. what model/spec/colour are you getting?

SRI Nav 2.0 CDTi 4 door saloon with 20" alloys in Technical Grey :)

lewisburglin
09-09-09, 08:55 AM

I tell you if you have the V Exhaulst there be trouble!LOL;) :p

thermalactivity
09-09-09, 01:37 PM

I tell you if you have the V Exhaulst there be trouble!LOL;) :p

if he gets the twin exhaust there will be even more trouble!!! you never know whats going to turn up on your insignia with all the different specs being put on the same models :confused: :confused: ;)

john57
09-09-09, 02:02 PM
Picked mine up yesterday -) -) -)

2010 :)
Silver Lake :)
Visible Exhaust ;)
Still to check for Tyre Pressure Monitoring. Was't sure at the time how to check. :confused:

Previous car an 06 Citroen C4 2.0 petrol Auto Exclusive with a Panoramic Glass Roof. :cool:

thermalactivity
09-09-09, 02:07 PM
Picked mine up yesterday -) -) -)
2010 :)
Silver Lake :)
Visible Exhaust ;)
Still to check for Tyre Pressure Monitoring

hello john got a new motor? (in a naff alexie sayle accent :confused:) excellent news john get some pics up! when did you order it and what model did you get?

lewisburglin
09-09-09, 02:20 PM
when did you order it and what model did you get?

Ditto John....what model / engine?

essixash
09-09-09, 02:40 PM
oh :( sounds like i might be needing a body guard............almost hoping its not got a V exhaust now lol

AidenL
03-04-10, 06:06 PM
Can anyone tell me for sure when the MY 2010 took effect, i.e what production week it started, or who had the first delivered MY 2010 car?

Reason I'm asking is, I think the car I just collected yesterday is a 2009 model ! :rolleyes:

I'll put up a new thread about this very soon, with a few pictures.