PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 Turbo

hackjo
20-09-09, 12:37 PM
We've just ordered one of these to try for a bit. I've read some really good reviews of this engine in the Insignia. What Car? stated that it was a good alternative to the diesel for those who don't do the miles to make diesel worthwhile. I don't like the noise of the diesels and the on-paper performance and fuel consumption (combined with figures the magazines have independantly obtained) are fine for me.

I'm expecting it to lack low-end torque. Has anyone driven one?

rosco
20-09-09, 05:15 PM
ive got one, and i love it ive done 1500 miles in 2 weeks and not been at all disappointed and have been able to play with audi s4's and a few mercs if youve gone for the 20s the top speed is nowhere near 137mph..... :eek: i saw 149 today and it could go a little bit more around town driveability is awesome and motorway driving it sits easily at a ton. only tiny thing ive noticed is that when booting it it pulls like a train in 1st, even harder in 2nd and then 3rd just doesnt have much throw you back in your seat feel. other then that no complaints what so ever.

mitch1408
20-09-09, 05:20 PM
I think as your speedo reaches those sort of speeds it becomes more and more innacurate. Ive noticed myself how the book for my astra says a max speed of 116mph but ive had the speedo round to 135. I thought this was pretty amazing as ive made no mods to it, but a quick glance at the satnav and it said 116.

Have a glance at your satnav next time your giving it some......

I was also on the autobahn by the way - HONEST!! ;)

rosco
20-09-09, 05:37 PM
I think as your speedo reaches those sort of speeds it becomes more and more innacurate. Ive noticed myself how the book for my astra says a max speed of 116mph but ive had the speedo round to 135. I thought this was pretty amazing as ive made no mods to it, but a quick glance at the satnav and it said 116.

Have a glance at your satnav next time your giving it some......

I was also on the autobahn by the way - HONEST!! ;)

that was on satnav dont trust speedo

enzo
22-09-09, 10:49 AM
it has a turbo on it. and a whole host of aftermarket support for that engine.

a wee chip and tune. and replacement clutch and your away with a car with a decent amount of torque

since the twin turbo diesel has been shelved im thinking about one of these instead.

www.insignia-enthusiast.org

hackjo
22-09-09, 12:16 PM
Useful feedback. What's it like on in-car noise levels and engine note?

hackjo
26-09-09, 12:26 PM
Oh, and if anyone who's got one can do a video that would be great too!

rosco
04-10-09, 07:28 AM
its faster than an xe'd corsa :D

hackjo
30-10-09, 11:53 AM
Got our 1.6 Turbo now. What an interesting engine!

It will punt around town at sedate speeds, requiring virtually no revs to move the car and making very little noise. At idle, it is almost silent. You can flip it through the gears casually and it will sit at 30mph without any problem. Quiet, sedate and comfortable.

Then you put your foot down. Particularly in second or third gears, you are greeted with a brief disappointing lack of urge and then the turbo kicks in. The engine note becomes more vocal and you are greeted with a woofling noise from the turbo. The car shoots forward on a massive surge of power and the revs rise so quickly that you have to grab the gearlever for the next gear. It really shifts.

It is as if the car has a split personality. Drive it sedately and it will reward you with a quiet, relaxing drive. Put your foot down and it goes like a rocket.

Like I said, interesting.

Fabos
31-10-09, 08:51 PM
After weeks of waiting, the dealer has managed to track a 1.6t down for me to try:)
Looking forward to trying it out. I am hopeing it will be a big improvement on the 1.8. I've heard some interesting figures regarding remaps for this engine......215bhp:D:D

Fabos

hackjo
31-10-09, 10:12 PM
After weeks of waiting, the dealer has managed to track a 1.6t down for me to try:)
Looking forward to trying it out. I am hopeing it will be a big improvement on the 1.8. I've heard some interesting figures regarding remaps for this engine......215bhp:D:D

Fabos

Let us know what you think. It's a great little engine that punches above its size.

It can be very sluggish at really low revs in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. Once the turbo spools up though, it shifts. You can pull away hard from the lights and it will go like a rocket, yet if you back off, it becomes very refined and sedate.

Top Gear rate it as the most interesting engine in the Insignia - they really like it.

chris66
31-10-09, 10:16 PM
Let us know what you think. It's a great little engine that punches above its size.

It can be very sluggish at really low revs in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. Once the turbo spools up though, it shifts. You can pull away hard from the lights and it will go like a rocket, yet if you back off, it becomes very refined and sedate.

Top Gear rate it as the most interesting engine in the Insignia - they really like it.

Alway's going to get a bit of lag. did you see the top gear with the evo 8 vs the Astra estate? from 30 in 5th the astra left the Evo for dead.

hackjo
01-11-09, 08:10 AM
Alway's going to get a bit of lag. did you see the top gear with the evo 8 vs the Astra estate? from 30 in 5th the astra left the Evo for dead.

I remember that. Quite amazing really. Having said that, if the Evo had dropped down to third it would have obliterated the Astra.

My Dad had an MG Montego Turbo. The lag on that was lethal. The turbo came on at 3200 rpm and when it did, it was so vicious that it would land you in the nearest hedge!

chris66
01-11-09, 09:09 AM
I remember that. Quite amazing really. Having said that, if the Evo had dropped down to third it would have obliterated the Astra.

My Dad had an MG Montego Turbo. The lag on that was lethal. The turbo came on at 3200 rpm and when it did, it was so vicious that it would land you in the nearest hedge!

My Shoguns a 3.2ltr. get that off the turbo and its asthmatic! great when its in the power range though. No worries with the old Cavalier. just goes and goes and goes. never going to be a racer but for its age, it's brilliant!

Vauxhallnutter Mark
01-11-09, 10:39 AM

The MG versions of the Montego and Maestro were certainly very strong performers. Pity the build quality of the car wasn't better!

I remember they put perkins diesel engines in the Maestro and Montego which used to outlast the cars! so the LR boys used to buy mot failed ones just for the engines! made these cars worth loads in the end!

Fabos
02-11-09, 12:27 PM
Tried the 1.6t today..... great engine:D I was surprised with the power in low revs, I thought it would be underpowed untill you built up the revs but it impressed me. Definitly a great improvement on the 1.8.........want one:D:D

hackjo
02-11-09, 02:00 PM
Tried the 1.6t today..... great engine:D I was surprised with the power in low revs, I thought it would be underpowed untill you built up the revs but it impressed me. Definitly a great improvement on the 1.8.........want one:D:D

Did you hear the turbo noise? It's rather nice.

rosco
02-11-09, 07:31 PM
Did you hear the turbo noise? It's rather nice.

fffftsshhhh

hackjo
04-11-09, 12:30 PM
What's the exhaust note like on yours now it's opened up Rosco?

PhilCavy
04-11-09, 01:14 PM

I remember reading a review at the time the MG Montego Turbo came out and they basically said it could be lethal in traffic because the turbo kicked in so suddenly.

rosco
04-11-09, 05:51 PM
it does get a bit more of a growl to it after a few miles, coming up to 5k soon. does sound nice, if i keep mine and dont trade in for the vxr it will be getting a nice sounding exhaust though

hackjo
04-11-09, 09:28 PM
I noticed Car Magazine's review of the 1.6 was quite negative - they said it was full of flat spots and difficult control consistently. Does anyone else find this, because I don't. :confused:

cameron66
05-11-09, 09:24 AM
(I noticed Car Magazine's review of the 1.6 was quite negative - they said it was full of flat spots and difficult control consistently. Does anyone else find this, because I don't. :confused:

I only drove one for a few hours, but though definately better than the 1.8 I was not overly impressed, think I was probably expecting too much.. having read all the blurb about it. I still think the 160 is the only one worth going for IMO. However you look at it, the Insignia is a very heavy car and I think the larger diesel engine will always be preferable over a 1600cc tweaked version. JMO. On the one I drove I also thought the turbo seemed quite audible, some may like the noise, but I prefer my car to be as silent as possible.(-

Fabos
05-11-09, 10:56 PM
Ordered the 1.6 today. Might be at dealer for me to take delivery on last week of december. Might be in time to beat the V.A.T increase;)

hackjo
06-11-09, 08:01 AM
Ordered the 1.6 today. Might be at dealer for me to take delivery on last week of december. Might be in time to beat the V.A.T increase;)

Nice one! What trim combination did you go for?

Fabos
06-11-09, 08:58 AM
Nice one! What trim combination did you go for?

Went for the Exc Nav, Carbon flash, black interia, 18inch wheels and bluetooth. At first I looked at the adaptive lighting, but it was pushing the price of the car too high.

What did you go for?