PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure

Toon
21-09-09, 08:04 PM
Probably a silly question but I am getting an error message saying the tyre pressures are imbalanced even though I've just had the car a week. They are the standard 18" on the elite so what tyre pressures would you recommend?

iangte
21-09-09, 08:07 PM
check your handbook, then check the tyre pressures while cold, if they still say there wrong back to vauxhall mate

Toon
21-09-09, 08:08 PM
The manual was too complicated for me lol

iangte
21-09-09, 08:10 PM
heard its big mate, usually have tyre pressures listed on a sticker on one of the door wells try that

Toon
21-09-09, 08:19 PM
OK cool, will check that out in the morning :)

Melbury
21-09-09, 09:00 PM
Probably a silly question but I am getting an error message saying the tyre pressures are imbalanced even though I've just had the car a week. They are the standard 18" on the elite so what tyre pressures would you recommend?
It could be just a spurious message, I got one about an airbag sevice due and that at 4k miles. It never appeared again after next starting.
Anyway, must check my tyres since you mention it ( then i will get that message)lol

lewisburglin
21-09-09, 09:02 PM
It could be just a spurious message, I got one about an airbag sevice due and that at 4k miles. It never appeared again after next starting.
Anyway, must check my tyres since you mention it ( then i will get that message)lol

I think the insignia dash boards were infact christmas tree lights in there past life.:p:p

cameron66
22-09-09, 09:06 AM
I think the insignia dash boards were infact christmas tree lights in there past life.:p:p

I agree...it is a little OTT...lol

BTW Lewis, was your car fixed on Monday, was it the EGR as they said ?

lewisburglin
22-09-09, 09:10 AM
I agree...it is a little OTT...lol

BTW Lewis, was your car fixed on Monday, was it the EGR as they said ?

(off topic but) no cam no part yet, phone call from VX yesterday offering me a top of the range insignia courtsy car, as im in london this week no good to me I just said as long as its ready for friday or I want some compo!

cameron66
22-09-09, 10:27 AM
(off topic but) no cam no part yet, phone call from VX yesterday offering me a top of the range insignia courtsy car, as im in london this week no good to me I just said as long as its ready for friday or I want some compo!

I was just curious if it was indeed the EGR, I've cleaned a few of them and basically on a new one... only thing that can be wrong with it, is if it goes open circuit, which though possible... I thought unlikely. Though I suppose it be mechanically sticking. Hope they sort it quickly anyway matey.

To get back on topic.. (sorry guys). On my 18" wheels I used to put 34psi in the fronts and 32psi in the rears, which seemed to be the optimum pressures for me. If you carry maximum passengers frequently I would add about 4psi all round to those pressures, but for the wife and myself and a couple of cases when on our hols 34 and 32 were fine.

Toon
22-09-09, 05:53 PM
On my 18" wheels I used to put 34psi in the fronts and 32psi in the rears, which seemed to be the optimum pressures for me. If you carry maximum passengers frequently I would add about 4psi all round to those pressures, but for the wife and myself and a couple of cases when on our hols 34 and 32 were fine.

Thanks, that sounds about right :)

edder
25-09-09, 07:51 PM
On my elite 160 nav,(not collected yet) I was hoping for the tyre pressure monitoring system but upon further reading this is only on the 2010 model,is this correct.
My car is at the dealers,I'll have a look this weekend,how will I know if this option is fitted?.

para999
26-09-09, 08:40 AM
i have the elite nav 160 and the tyre pressure check system doesn't come as standard.
TBH they're more trouble than they're worth, if its anything like the renault system you cant buy a new tyre from any old tyre dealer they have to come from the stealers, simply because the car has to be put on the computer just to reset the system, thats after the special valves been fitted.

mallyd
27-09-09, 01:40 AM
i have the elite nav 160 and the tyre pressure check system doesn't come as standard.
TBH they're more trouble than they're worth, if its anything like the renault system you cant buy a new tyre from any old tyre dealer they have to come from the stealers, simply because the car has to be put on the computer just to reset the system, thats after the special valves been fitted.

True and not true.

The Valve sensors don't need to be changed as often as regular valves and hence as long as the wheel is refitted to the corner it came off then no reset is required.

As for tyre pressure monitors both the Renault and Vauxhall systems will activate if the pressure falls 2psi lower than the standard setting, which means if you have the tyre pressure bang on where it needs to be and there is a heavy frost (i.e. minus 6 or more) the warning light will come on . . had it happen numeroud times last year on 4 different cars.

Toon
29-09-09, 06:35 PM
Strange, I never ordered any extras but still have the pressure sensors. Maybe they put it on by accident lol.

edder
29-09-09, 06:48 PM
Strange, I never ordered any extras but still have the pressure sensors. Maybe they put it on by accident lol.

As you have a 2010 model it is standard.

Also this:-

From 2012 all NEW VEHICLES sold in the UK will be fitted with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System when they leave the factory.

Rockh
29-09-09, 07:46 PM
On my elite 160 nav,(not collected yet) I was hoping for the tyre pressure monitoring system but upon further reading this is only on the 2010 model,is this correct.
My car is at the dealers,I'll have a look this weekend,how will I know if this option is fitted?.

It's standard on the MY2010 SE and Elite, optional on the rest.

Don't know if it can be retro fitted, personally quite fancy it, though might just get a 3rd party one.

para999
14-10-09, 01:23 PM
carrying on with the tyre pressures i see both on the door sticker and in the handbook it mentions ECO now i'm confused. as i have an elite with the ECO engine fitted should i not be using the ECO pressures which seem to be a bit higher than the standard?

PRO-INSIGNIA
14-10-09, 02:04 PM
carrying on with the tyre pressures i see both on the door sticker and in the handbook it mentions ECO now i'm confused. as i have an elite with the ECO engine fitted should i not be using the ECO pressures which seem to be a bit higher than the standard?

you can still use the ECO pressures but the ride might be a bit jiggly. Should improve your fuel consumption even more!!!:o

Toon
22-01-10, 07:59 AM
Out of interest I looked on the sticker and it says for eco it should have 260 and 270 kpa which after a quick Google search converts to 38 and 39 psi! Quite a lot higher than those recommended in this thread.

chris66
22-01-10, 05:49 PM
The rule of the thumb, i was told is x2 the diameter of the rim + 2. so if you have 17" rims, thats 34 +2.

So that would be 46 in mine?:eek: not bleedin likely

mitch1408
23-01-10, 11:25 AM
Ive got the TPMS fitted on mine and they are normally at around 31-32psi, however when its cold, very cold, ive seen them down to 27 psi and still had no warning that the pressures are low!

afisher
23-01-10, 02:13 PM
According to the manual you should fill them up while the tyres are cold so that should be the minimum and when you get going it will increase further due to the heat.
The monitoring system apparently compensates for the tyre temp when giving you the warning.