PDA

View Full Version : Full size spare wheel (18")

Sportstourer
25-09-09, 11:35 AM
Does anybody know how much room the 18" full size spare wheel actually takes up in the Insignia? Does it eliminate the whole of the underfloor compartment in the Sportstourer?

cameron66
25-09-09, 01:30 PM
Not looked in the boot of an Insignia,, but if its anything like the vec-c, there was a plastic piece underneath the skinny, so yes it will fill the well left.
It is also possible it could actually sit slightly proud, making a slight rise in the carpet.
I have a full size spare in my vec-c, & it sits fine, but not quite as wide as a 245, on this motor.;);)

Further to Mitches reply, think I read that it raises the carpet about 2".

What you need to do is double check it will actually fit in diameter wise. I've seen mentioned on one of the forums that it will take a standard fullsize 17" wheel, but I'm sure I also read that someone posted that it would'nt take the larger wheels but the poster may have been refering to 19" rims or even 20" and not 18" , sorry matey I cant remember the size he was refering that would'nt fit in.

I had 18" alloys on mine, but the spacesaver was only 16" but it does seem to have lots of room around it, so I suspect it may well take a full 18" see if the dealer will let you try one in before buying one. At least you get a spacesaver with the Insignia, no spare at all on the BM.. runflats only.. one of the few things I'm not so keen on.

Sportstourer
25-09-09, 01:52 PM
Thanks. I saw a spacesaver in the Insignia Sportstourer I borrowed from the dealer before placing my order and the top of it was proud with the bottom of the underfloor compartment. The dealer looked at a full size wheel in another car they had in a different branch and assured me that the main floor level was still flat (I wasn't too worried about the sub-floor compartment). I don't suppose it would be the end of the world if it wasn't right as I could presumably replace the full size spare by ordering in a spacesaver. I will find out next week.

I think I saw somewhere that you can't have a full size spare for 19" or 20" inch wheels.

cameron66
25-09-09, 05:02 PM
Thanks. I saw a spacesaver in the Insignia Sportstourer I borrowed from the dealer before placing my order and the top of it was proud with the bottom of the underfloor compartment. The dealer looked at a full size wheel in another car they had in a different branch and assured me that the main floor level was still flat (I wasn't too worried about the sub-floor compartment). I don't suppose it would be the end of the world if it wasn't right as I could presumably replace the full size spare by ordering in a spacesaver. I will find out next week.

I think I saw somewhere that you can't have a full size spare for 19" or 20" inch wheels.

The only downside is the extra weight, and how often do we get punctures... not that often.
A lot of new cars dont have any spare wheel at all these days.:(

para999
26-09-09, 08:43 AM
The only downside is the extra weight, and how often do we get punctures... not that often.
A lot of new cars dont have any spare wheel at all these days.:(

no they have these inflation kits that are totally useless, unless you spot a nail in the tyre on your drive.

cameron66
26-09-09, 09:36 AM
no they have these inflation kits that are totally useless, unless you spot a nail in the tyre on your drive.

My BM does not have a spare wheel either, it has runflat tyres fitted, which tend to be quite firm, many owners have reverted back to standard tyres to get the improved comfort and are cheaper of course. trouble is...nowhere to put a spare wheel unless you bung it in the boot, which then drastically reduces the boot space.

Must admit I'm not too keen on this 'No Spare' route that many manufacturers are going.:(

Geoff
26-09-09, 03:04 PM
I have Sports Tourer SE with 18 inch 13 spoke wheels and full size spare. Fits in fine below boot floor, and there's still room around the sides for storage of small items.

Sportstourer
26-09-09, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Geoff. I'm getting the 13 spoke 18" wheels too. Can you still fit the load cover and vertical load restraining net under the floor when not in use?

Geoff
27-09-09, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Geoff. I'm getting the 13 spoke 18" wheels too. Can you still fit the load cover and vertical load restraining net under the floor when not in use?

Do you know, I'd never checked re storing load cover. I hadn't realised it might. But I've just driven car out of garage to check. Answer is, load cover doesn't fit. It looks like it needs to go diagonally, and there's only about 1/4 inch gap between top of full size spare and underside of boot floor cover.

But I think it's reassuring to have full size spare. I had a Signum before, which in some ways, eg engine (2.2 Ecotec), boot top profile, memory front seats, was a better car, but it had a space saver spare whcih I had to use once, and it was truly awful driving with this on the front. I wouldn't fancy driving on a Motorway etc with it. So I would rather have a proper spare wheel for peace of mind.

Sportstourer
27-09-09, 05:21 PM
Thanks, Geoff. Yes, I think it is supposed to fit diagonally over the space saver. The engine on my Omega is a 2.2 16V petrol engine which has done nearly 188,000 miles and was in South East Oxfordshire yesterday!

I'm getting the Insignia with the 2.0 T 16V engine which is supposed to be more powerful than the Omega's. I'm also getting 4 wheel drive and as its an Elite it will have a memory drivers seat. It'll be in South East Oxfordshire next Saturday!