PDA

View Full Version : Mine lasted a week

essixash
25-09-09, 01:40 PM
Bit longer than most, but Mr Insignia has returned to the dealership already. After picking it up on the 17th. It needs a new CLUTCH :eek: and its going to take 5 to 10 days as from monday at LEAST :eek: good job i go on holiday in the morning so wont be here anyway. What a joke though.

I think maybe we need to replace the "Who will get their Insignia first" poll with a "whose Insignia will last the longest" poll lol

Vectra-Arctic
25-09-09, 03:14 PM
Bit longer than most, but Mr Insignia has returned to the dealership already. After picking it up on the 17th. It needs a new CLUTCH :eek: and its going to take 5 to 10 days as from monday at LEAST :eek: good job i go on holiday in the morning so wont be here anyway. What a joke though.

I think maybe we need to replace the "Who will get their Insignia first" poll with a "whose Insignia will last the longest" poll lol

Ouch !!!

To be honest, I've seen and heard nothing but hassle about this wretched car, just been to a VX Dealers and some bloke was nearly in tears after so much hassle with one, it beggars belief that a company such as Opel can let loose an over hyped and badly made car. This is a 21st Century car, but seems to have the build quality and reliability of a BL (yes British Leyland - remember their various abominations) car. It seems that Opel are using customers to quality check and Beta Test these things to iron out the bugs and unreliability. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have said before on this forum, I will not buy one. Bad design faults, unreliabillity on certain components and to top it off I don't like the look of it.

I just feel sorry for anyone that's traded in a good old VX for this abomination. :mad:

I know that some will disagree with my views but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

essixash
25-09-09, 03:21 PM
And ya know what they said.............. jesus wept i nearly swallowed my tongue.............. "Oh".........he said....."we've not had any troubles with Insignia to date" HAHAHAHAHAHA "oh" it said again, "we had trouble with the astra but thats all been sorted now, but oh no, NEVER the Insignia".............yeah pull the other one mate, i felt like saying yeah come and look at this forum im a member of.......... then tell me theres no problems with Insignias.

Love the way they try to mug u off. Then when they realise u actually DO know what they are talking about and are in a position to question them, they try and back track on their little "story"

essixash
25-09-09, 03:24 PM
I was a bit annoyed that i had to literally FORCE them to come and have a look, i was actually being knocked out by fumes entering the car to the point my head was lulling and i was falling asleep at the wheel and i pulled over coz there was smoke coming out from under the bonnet. And it had the nerve to say "can u fetch it back later" NO I EFFING CANT theres SMOKE coming out of it, have a look NOW u idiot. I waited 4 and a half months for this, im not having it a week then watching it burn and having to wait 4 and a half months for another one

Other than this clutch problem i still totally love the car though i must say lol, and the other worker that DID actually bother to come and look in the end was pretty good i have to say, just shame about the rest of his workforce lol

Vectra-Arctic
25-09-09, 03:25 PM
And ya know what they said.............. jesus wept i nearly swallowed my tongue.............. "Oh".........he said....."we've not had any troubles with Insignia to date" HAHAHAHAHAHA "oh" it said again, "we had trouble with the astra but thats all been sorted now, but oh no, NEVER the Insignia".............yeah pull the other one mate, i felt like saying yeah come and look at this forum im a member of.......... then tell me theres no problems with Insignias.

Love the way they try to mug u off. Then when they realise u actually DO know what they are talking about and are in a position to question them, they try and back track on their little "story"

You want to take a laptop in with you and let them browse this site and other VX Forums, then watch them try and backtrack.

It's the same old story, once they have your money or signature on the Finance Deal, that's it, it's you versus them and boy do you have to fight if they want to play hardball and refuse to remedy faults.

In some ways it's best to pay by Credit Card, then it's the Credit Card Company who is liable, and they can play harder than any Anybody, withdrawal of Credit Card acceptance facilities at any Dealer will cripple them.

essixash
25-09-09, 03:26 PM
oh no there was no fighting involved, i believe after such a poor effort from them my final words were "whatever mate, just do the car" lol

Vectra-Arctic
25-09-09, 03:36 PM
Ok, but for this to happen with a week old car is just not on. I would be jumping up and down on the Dealer Principal's desk if it was me.

I did once, after I bought my one of Vectra's a few years ago, it worked. It was a 3 year old car.

I got Financial compensation + letter of apology from Dealer Principal, Service Manager got a bolloc*ing, free next service and a complete VX Network Q re-check.

essixash
25-09-09, 03:40 PM
I would but im off on holiday in like 10 hours so ive got so much to do, and theres not a great deal they can do, because of the nature of my work my company pay my servicing costs and maintenance costs etc anyway lol might ask for some coin back lol

lewisburglin
25-09-09, 04:04 PM
i just simply can't believe it ash. Least yours lasted longer than a day but still seems your be waiting for that clutch. I really DO know how you feel mate. Oh and by the way...they never got the part in for my car...they robbed it off another new insignia they just in. What a joke a?! Mines ok now but for how long a? I wish watchdog would find this forum!

psl
25-09-09, 04:30 PM
Im not a new car lover:eek: I liked the Insignia when it first came out but seeing all these negatives is not good for Vx like David says:(
I know one of the local sales team at the local Vx dealers in Leicester, he`s that stressed out about all the complaints on the new insignia, he`s never know a Vx like it:( It`s giving Vx a bad name just when they dont need it. He`s not looking forward to the new Astra coming out

cameron66
25-09-09, 04:55 PM

What can I say matey, other than I think I know how you feel, I was beginning to think they were getting better. Genuinly sorry to hear this news, its when you get repeated issues one after another its natural you start to lose your enthusiasm for the car. As stated a few times it would'nt be so bad if they got them fixed quickly but with the spares situation being what it is, I'm sure the dealers must feel rather perplexed too, though of course its not their car.

I was a little worried about the clutch on mine about a month after getting last the car as I was over at Church Stretton, and went up the Long Mynd, a very steep and narrow road which goes over the top, and not for the faint of heart. Unfortunately when coming back down I met 3 vehicles coming up and needed to reverse into a small pull-in I had just passed. Its quite steep with a sheer drop to one side at this particular point, and while I was attempting to reverse I too noticed a very strong smell from the clutch. I let the clutch cool down once I was at the bottom, and fortunately it seemed fine.
It did however seem to get hot a lot quicker than I would have expected, considering my old vec-c 150 used to tow our 23ft overall, Lunar Quasar caravan and I never had any clutch problems with that. Only time that clutch ever smelled hot was when on one occasion it took me a few attempts to reverse the van into position. It was towed abroad quite a bit and despite some really steep hills, it was brilliant, no probs at all.

Other than your's and Mark's over on the insignia-enthusiast.org forum who had 3 fitted in as many months, in his case they were the DMF clutch flywheels which kept failing. I've not heard of any other clutch failings.

Hope they get it fixed quickly for you matey.

Rockh
25-09-09, 06:32 PM
Must admit I've smelt my clutch a few times and it wasn't after holding on it for long periods either. Started to use the hand brake alot more than I used to with the vec and siggy. Could be the clutches are a little fragile compared to older vehicles or it's another Opel/Vx cost cutting exercise.

guinney1971
25-09-09, 07:03 PM
jeez, there are so many of you with problems with these cars - I find it hard to believe that manufacturers spend so much money and time (allegedly) testing cars to destruction, putting millions of test miles on them, and people then buy them, use them in normal daily driving, and have nothing but trouble.

I thought Vectra-B was troublesome in 1995 when it was launched, but this really takes the biscuit - back in 1995, when I worked at a Vauxhall Dealer, we had people asking for their Cavaliers back cos they were fed up (as we were) of their new Vectra's coming into us on recovery trucks.

No wonder that dealer that PSL knows is dreading the new Astra.

Peterborough-John
25-09-09, 07:30 PM
I seemed to have a bit of critisism last night when i said i was worried about my car coming next Monday. Don't mind what they said but this site in the insignia owners section does encompass a small amount of new owners and to see people so excited about their car arriving and to see so many having problems within a week or two it just doesn't stack up.
I will be interested to see how long mine lasts before return.
I previously owned a Toyota, i did 117000 mles in four years and the only time it went in the garage was for service and tyres. it never let me down or had to have one part replaced in four years. The Toyota was returned in June and have been driving a mondeo since, again no problems
I am hoping i will not be disappointed in three days time after waiting over three months.
but still cant wait :):)

cameron66
26-09-09, 08:45 AM
I seemed to have a bit of critisism last night when i said i was worried about my car coming next Monday. Don't mind what they said but this site in the insignia owners section does encompass a small amount of new owners and to see people so excited about their car arriving and to see so many having problems within a week or two it just doesn't stack up.
I will be interested to see how long mine lasts before return.
I previously owned a Toyota, i did 117000 mles in four years and the only time it went in the garage was for service and tyres. it never let me down or had to have one part replaced in four years. The Toyota was returned in June and have been driving a mondeo since, again no problems
I am hoping i will not be disappointed in three days time after waiting over three months.
but still cant wait :):)

John, in this Insignia section you will see the same dozen or so people frequently posting including myself, though I have had 2 Insignia's (long story..dont ask...lol) I no longer have one myself but still take a interest.

VX have sold around 40,000 Insignia's in the UK, therefore the numbers on here and all the other forums together is only a very tiny percentage of the cars sold. I'm sure there are many thousands of Insignia owners out there who have had very few problems if any with their vehicles.

People are more inclined to publicise problems, but rarely voice the positives when they are happy with the car, therefore forums such as this one will always have a higher proportion of negative feedback than positive. Though in fairness, on here, many people have praised the car too.

It is a concern, when you read about all the issues, that some owners are having, indeed thats why I no longer own mine.
However this last one was a lemon from day-1, the first one however which gets a lot of use is now used by a employee in the family business. (now run by sons) That Insignia I'm told has been mainly trouble free so far, and has almost 19k miles on it, its currently waiting for a replacement bumper due to the fact it was pranged a few weeks ago, but still drivable.

IMO the biggest issue is the lack of parts in the UK, so that any issues/faults, simply are not getting fixed quickly enough, and can drag on for weeks and sometimes months. That is the biggest problem, a customer should expect a fault to be fixed quickly and efficiently, once repaired its then forgotten about and the customer continues to enjoy his new car with a still positive feeling.

Unfortunately, in many cases its taking weeks or longer to get the parts, and certainly in some cases including mine, cars have needed to go into the dealer 3 or 4 times for the same fault, due to the dealer failing to fix it the first time.
Its these sort of things which makes owners dis-satisfied with their new cars more than anything, and unfortunately as a result the car starts to get a reputation for poor reliability which IMO may not necessarilly be justified.

No doubt due to financial reasons VX have failed so far to put into place an effective UK based spares network for the car, and sadly this has lost them much goodwill when things go wrong. Hopefully now the takeover is complete things will improve.

I still think its a very good car, but they need to drastically improve their aftersales support for the car.
I'm sure your car will be fine matey, I hope so anyway... Enjoy!

Melbury
30-09-09, 10:11 PM
Must admit I've smelt my clutch a few times and it wasn't after holding on it for long periods either. Started to use the hand brake alot more than I used to with the vec and siggy. Could be the clutches are a little fragile compared to older vehicles or it's another Opel/Vx cost cutting exercise.
I too have had this clutch smell on just two occasions about 1k miles ago but it has not reoccured again and there has been no clutch slip at any time.
I was alarmed by it at first but it seems that it is caused by driving conditions and temperature, like traffic snarls during hot weather,and long hill climbs.
Might be the catalytic converter but I have been in many a traffic queue since with no problem and no smell.
Usually a clutch will be good for a long number of years unless it gets abuse.