PDA

View Full Version : Insignia and Jaguar XF - Similar?

hackjo
27-09-09, 01:54 PM
I keep spotting Jags and find myself thinking they are Insignias until I get closer to them. The similarities are striking.

I have both brochures and I compared them - this gave further evidence that they are extremely similar. There are many shared design cues. In terms of the fit and finish of body panels, there is absolutely nothing between them.

The interior design on the Insignia is also of a standard worthy of the Jag (although they are aesthetically completely different), if not the finish.

Can it really be that a £21,000 car that I have bought for £19,000 be comparable in so many ways to a £36,000 luxury saloon?

Times they are a-changing...

sennynut
27-09-09, 02:55 PM
i find keep thinking a certain toyota model are insignias and a mazda i have seen but not so much jaguars

cameron66
27-09-09, 03:07 PM
I keep spotting Jags and find myself thinking they are Insignias until I get closer to them. The similarities are striking.

I have both brochures and I compared them - this gave further evidence that they are extremely similar. There are many shared design cues. In terms of the fit and finish of body panels, there is absolutely nothing between them.

The interior design on the Insignia is also of a standard worthy of the Jag (although they are aesthetically completely different), if not the finish.

Can it really be that a £21,000 car that I have bought for £19,000 be comparable in so many ways to a £36,000 luxury saloon?

Times they are a-changing...

I too think its quite similar in exterior shape, the jag has a better more squat appearance which I think makes it look a little better, I've always thought the Insignia would have looked better with a 2 or 3 inches lower roofline. I have to disagree on the interior though, Its appearance outside is the only similarity, they are miles different in most other respects quality wise... sorry matey. JMO If you dont believe me.. just compare the so called wood finishes on the dash trim, the VX wood finish looks terrible and cheap, the standard grey trim looks far better. I fancied the woodgrain finish until I saw a Insignia which had it and I soon changed my mind.

lewisburglin
27-09-09, 03:11 PM
I bet the Jag's dont have multiple failures though!....but I can see what your saying.

hackjo
27-09-09, 03:51 PM
I too think its quite similar in exterior shape, the jag has a better more squat appearance which I think makes it look a little better, I've always thought the Insignia would have looked better with a 2 or 3 inches lower roofline. I have to disagree on the interior though, Its appearance outside is the only similarity, they are miles different in most other respects quality wise... sorry matey. JMO If you dont believe me.. just compare the so called wood finishes on the dash trim, the VX wood finish looks terrible and cheap, the standard grey trim looks far better. I fancied the woodgrain finish until I saw a Insignia which had it and I soon changed my mind.

The quality is obviously nowhere near the Jag - how can it be when the Jag has proper metal trim, real wood and leather everywhere? However, the design is of a premium standard IMO.

The wood is particularly sh*te though!

hackjo
27-09-09, 03:52 PM
I bet the Jag's dont have multiple failures though!....but I can see what your saying.

You'd be suprised! Have a look at the XF forum. :)

cameron66
27-09-09, 06:21 PM

Yep.. ironically only a few days ago I clicked on a link from one of the on-line newspaper website aledgedly listing the 10 most reliable cars and a link which gave the 10 most unreliable cars, and the new Jaguar was listed about number 5. The Insignia was not in the list, and neither were BMW...:D

Apparently... results.. voted by X number of owners in reliability survey.

I suspect however that VX may end up in the list if they dont improve their quality control.

cameron66
27-09-09, 07:01 PM

Yep..I believe you.. ironically only a few days ago I clicked on a link from one of the on-line newspaper website allegedly listing the 10 most reliable cars and a link which gave the 10 most unreliable cars, and the new Jaguar was surprisingly on the list about number 5. The Insignia was not in the list, and neither were BMW...:D

Apparently...the results had been compiled in a X number of owners in reliability survey. So yes it seems a few new Jag owners have had a few issues too.

Like VX I think its really down to the fact that they are new models, and the bugs start to appear once the public start to use them.

It reminds me of when I used to write software for a living years ago. I'm sure some of the older members will remember the old BBC Micro, I got quite involved with the BBC computers, and wrote several commercial programs for it, including a very successful comms program called Comstar, which sold on a plug in sideways eprom, and later on rom, my company was called Dudley Micro Systems (DMS). The thing is.. I would spend many weeks testing a program so it was as bugfree as I could make it, including having a few dozen friends also testing it. However I guarantee that as soon as it was being sold commercially by the retailers, within hours.. the bug reports would start to come back to us.

IOW... no matter how much testing is done, it's when the product starts getting used by large numbers of the public that the flaws or design faults really start to become apparent.
Also, it was not uncommon that when fixing a list of bugs, especially software, In my case I often ended up introducing another new bug in the process, simply because the changes I had made to fix minor bugs had a consecuence elsewhere in another part of the program when certain conditions occured, which I had simply overlooked.

Even the Vectra in its many guises still had a few minor weaknesses even after quite a few years of production, but in reality probably fared better than some of its competitors. The Insignia is obviously not a facelift from another model, its a totally new model, so its inevitable that faults will occur during its early life.

However, I suspect however that VX may end up in that 10 most unreliable cars list if they dont improve their quality control.

cameron66
27-09-09, 07:10 PM
MODS..

Can you please delete last but one post by myself, something got screwed for some reason... probably me.(-

martin99
27-09-09, 08:24 PM
Don't make me laugh - If I was offered a choice it would be the Jag all the way. I do wish that people would stop bigging up the insignia by comparing it to A4's Jags Beemers etc.

The Insignia needs to perform and outdo the Mondeo which has a better drive / ride - Passatt - Maxda 5 - etc - so please lets not try and convince the Insignia is anything other than a family / rep car.

hackjo
27-09-09, 08:56 PM
Not saying it is on the same level old chap, just that in many ways, some of the features of cars from the class above have been replicated on this model. The same goes for a couple of other cars in the same class - the lines are beginning to be blurred slightly in some areas.

Of course, the Insignia is not competing with Jags, BMW 5-Series, Merc E-Class etc.

I would say though that it gives some of the lower end BMW's, Audis and Mercs a run for their money in some areas, as does the good old Mondeo.

But I would rather have an XF...

This will do for now!!

Melbury
28-09-09, 03:50 PM
Yes the XF has some more quality in the cabin but is it worth the price? Personally, I believe the Insignia looks better on the outside anyway. It has a certain presence on the road that few can match. The XF probably has its share of problems too, I have seen one locally twice on the recovery wagon and now I notice its driver giving the Insignia the eye!