PDA

View Full Version : Phone cradle / drinks holder

Peterborough-John
02-10-09, 10:37 AM
Where the drinks holder should be is the base plate for a phone cradle.

Does anyone know if you can get the cradle that fits the baseplate from anywhere but Vauxhall dealers ? can you get a Blackberry cradle ?
Could i have the drinks holder replaced and take out the baseplate ? :confused::confused:

Answers to any of above would be great. :):)

lewisburglin
02-10-09, 10:42 AM
mate, if I only knew the answer, i'd love a cradle too mate. Everying says speak to your dealer!

Peterborough-John
02-10-09, 11:33 AM
Phoned the local dealer, cradles are only available for sony and nokia phones :( how bizarre. :confused::confused:

Rockh
03-10-09, 08:59 AM
The selection of cradles is poor and also very expensive. My 2009 elite has the bluetooth and the cables under the drinks holder for the cradle mount but no mount thank goodness.

I've just got a brodit no holes clip and brodit holder for my Nokia E51.

Vectra-Arctic
03-10-09, 10:45 AM
Might be the only bit of the Insignia that works !!! :D

lewisburglin
03-10-09, 12:34 PM
Might be the only bit of the Insignia that works !!! :D

Harsh...but fair.lol

carpetmonster
04-10-09, 04:59 PM
Hi chaps!
I too have searching for a cradle, thought i might as well get one as no xxxxxx coffee cup holder AGAIN! (vectra had same problem with base plate position).
They are only available through dealers, and very limited models. I have sony c902, plus now redundant k850i and k810i. There is no cradle available for any of these, only for a couple of walkman phones, and a k770. bit crappy really!
I have opted for a brodit mount for my blackberry storm, which fits in 5 seconds, is easily removable in the same time, yet rock solid and looks neat.
I might get a cradle for the 770 and then buy a handset from ebay and shove my simcard in. Otherwise, the whole storage/phone/cup holder pocket thing is a bit wasted!

afisher
26-10-09, 12:49 PM
I might be interested in the phone cradle but it looks like no up to date phones are on it and I have an iPhone which is becoming a very popular phone these days. They have obviously built in functionality for the iPod/iPhone for the music system and I assume they think you will only want to use it for that and not for the phone system.

The problem is, because I use a USB device instead so that I don't need to keep plugging my phone in to play music then I can't use my USB charger on my phone on a long journey which I need as the Bluetooth starts to eat into the battery power if you use it for any length of time.

I take it no one has heard if there is a way to reinstate the cup holder as otherwise this whole section of the console is pretty useless to me.

Ness
26-10-09, 01:07 PM
Hi, are we talking about blue tooth, as well as on long journeys you can use a jack plug for the music/pod casts (on iphone) and keep the phone on charge via cig lighter socket...(I also used double sided tape to stick down an i-phone holder on top of base plate ...WORKS FOR ME !

afisher
26-10-09, 03:30 PM
Having spent so much on the car I don't want to have to use sticky tape anywhere on it. Suppose I may just need to get a cig lighter charger for the phone although I was hoping to avoid having any cables anywhere.

Rockh
26-10-09, 06:18 PM
Thought the usb connection also charged the ipod (phone etc) ??

As for the cupholder, it's a complete new console apparently...

afisher
26-10-09, 06:40 PM
It does but I usually have a USB stick in instead.
Maybe the answer is USB stick for short journeys and iPhone for long journeys.

Powerod
04-11-09, 09:38 PM
Who ordered the bluetooth and got the base plate in the centre console as I have found that some models have the Bluetooth without the base plate and the drinks holder instead which I would prefer.
I don't know if this is anything do with the model year change, it's qiute confusing and the dealers don't seem to know either.
Any replies most welcome.

afisher
04-11-09, 09:40 PM
Got my Elite almost two weeks ago with Bluetooth and the base plate

Amos
05-11-09, 06:37 AM
No base plate with me had the car in june

vauxvet
05-11-09, 10:27 AM
No base plate with mine either got the car in May,

lewisburglin
05-11-09, 03:27 PM
Recieved August = base plate

edder
05-11-09, 05:36 PM
Received September = no base plate

svpworld
05-11-09, 08:59 PM
I use the iPhone and bought the Belkin Tunedok. Although I initially bought the standard white one, I eventually sourced the rarer black one on Ebay. Looks great and holds the iphone or ipod solid with suction pad. Tiltable and you can plug dock connector into bottom. Supplied with a set of rubbery cup holder things of which one fits snugly in the cup compartment. Nice as I can rest my left arm on the arm rest and easily touch the keypad of the iphone!

simonrh
17-12-09, 03:25 PM
Mine delivered today and has a pointless baseplate where the cupholder should be.
Might have a look at remvoing / hiding the base plate somewhere and getting a foam insert made up to take 2 cans of coke in there?

simonrh
17-12-09, 04:10 PM
Will try and get them in a nice snowscape or something tomorrow if the portents of doom are to be believed.

chris66
17-12-09, 04:21 PM
Will try and get them in a nice snowscape or something tomorrow if the portents of doom are to be believed.

Doom is alive and well and falling from the sky in Shotts. its very white and very cold out there

simonrh
17-12-09, 04:28 PM
She'd look great with some tinsel on. Get the towbar on and I can pull a festive sleigh too?

Powerod
17-12-09, 08:57 PM
Mine delivered today and has a pointless baseplate where the cupholder should be.
Might have a look at remvoing / hiding the base plate somewhere and getting a foam insert made up to take 2 cans of coke in there?

The same as mine, I think it is pointless having the base plate as its a bluetooth connection and I use one of the windscreen holders for my phone from Halfords.

The cradles are around £170.00 if you can get one for your phone make and model.

I have already removed the base plate but leaves a nice little hole, so shaped a bit of cordex to aperture for now.

I have spoken to the parts department at vauxhall and they do the cup holder but it is on a 20 day back order and costs around £65.00 and involves removong the centre consol.

I'm in the process of trying to get this changed by vauxhall as the car I test drove had bluetooth with cup holders and I was not aware of the base plate and presumed that I was getting the cup holders.

Vauxhall change spec at there leisure.