PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Failure

Powerod
02-10-09, 07:14 PM
Hi Everyone

Just thugt I'd let you know what happened to me this afternoon.

I currently have a Insignia 1.8 16v VVT SE Nav on loan to me from Vauxhall until my SRI Sports Tourer 160 Nav arrivest the end of November.

Well heres what happened

I parked up on my drive which does have a slight incline, as I have done for the past two weeks of having this car pulled the handbrake up as normal when my 4 year old daughter came upto me 15 minutes later and asked why had I parked my car in the middle of the road!!!!!!!

I went out to the car, the hand brake was still up. I reversed back up onto the drive and it is now in gear.

So jut a little warning, be carefull.:eek:

This was a known fault on the Renault Lagunas due the expansion and contraction of the brake discs against the brake pads, so you would put your hand brake as normal but when the discs and brakes cooled down the car would move.

On my Cavailer GSI 2000 the handbrake worked between the hub of the rear discs.

mallyd
02-10-09, 07:54 PM
It was also a very well known fault on Vectras and even appeared on Watchdog . .

Vectra-Arctic
02-10-09, 08:10 PM
Oops

joemailey
02-10-09, 10:00 PM
Happened to my insignia also.

I left it outside on the street , top of the street pointing down.
Came out an hour later to jump in the car and as I walked down my garden the car started rolling away. Was a bit like slow motion as I ran to jump in it lol

carlton_mad
02-10-09, 10:20 PM
most common one was citroen xantias!!

cameron66
02-10-09, 10:59 PM
I had a couple od small isues with the handbrake on my Insignia when I had the car. One time the handbrake appeared to slip off its ratchet, and a couple of times it seemed to make a loud clunk type noise when applying the handbrake. Only happened about 3 or 4 times over a 3 month period, so it was low down on priority of issues and never got it looked at.

You should always apply the footbrake firmly and then apply handbrake while footbrake is still firmly pressed too, and always leave it in gear of course.

Rockh
03-10-09, 08:56 AM
Happened to a guy at work twice with his vectra, rolled out of it's parking spot and across into an empty spot opposite and was stopped by the kerb before it hit the building and the second time it was found kissing the side of a metal container. This was after Vx had done the handbrake recall....

Melbury
05-10-09, 04:27 PM
Hi Everyone

Just thugt I'd let you know what happened to me this afternoon.

I currently have a Insignia 1.8 16v VVT SE Nav on loan to me from Vauxhall until my SRI Sports Tourer 160 Nav arrivest the end of November.

Well heres what happened

I parked up on my drive which does have a slight incline, as I have done for the past two weeks of having this car pulled the handbrake up as normal when my 4 year old daughter came upto me 15 minutes later and asked why had I parked my car in the middle of the road!!!!!!!

I went out to the car, the hand brake was still up. I reversed back up onto the drive and it is now in gear.

So jut a little warning, be carefull.:eek:

This was a known fault on the Renault Lagunas due the expansion and contraction of the brake discs against the brake pads, so you would put your hand brake as normal but when the discs and brakes cooled down the car would move.

On my Cavailer GSI 2000 the handbrake worked between the hub of the rear discs. Thanks ! A timely warning indeed, I have noticed an unusual
sound when apply the handbrake on my 1.8 on the odd occasion and as many will know Vectras were subject to a recall for handbrake upgrade.
I will get in the habit of engaging first from now on.

thermalactivity
05-10-09, 04:29 PM

engage the highest gear you have as first gear may not be enough to hold a car if its on a hill!

2.0 vectra
05-10-09, 05:38 PM
engage the highest gear you have as first gear may not be enough to hold a car if its on a hill!

higher gears will have less chance of holding the car on a hill , first for a car facing downhill or reverse for a car facing uphill are the best option .

thermalactivity
05-10-09, 07:08 PM
higher gears will have less chance of holding the car on a hill , first for a car facing downhill or reverse for a car facing uphill are the best option .

you can bump start a car in first gear though so surely leaving it in fifth or sixth the car wouldnt be able to move? :confused: :confused:

Rockh
05-10-09, 07:15 PM
In a low gear you are effectively using engine braking, yes the car will still move if you are on a steep enough incline.

2.0 vectra
06-10-09, 07:28 AM
I disagree here, sorry, if you're facing uphill, i put the car in 1st gear, facing downhill i would use reverse.
The engine is going to have to work opposite the motion of the wheels??

only problem with that is a lot of modern cars have a timing belt fitted & if the engine turns the wrong way it can back off the tensioner , then when you start the engine the belt can jump ;)

2.0 vectra
06-10-09, 01:47 PM
won't matter on the astra as it won't have the auto tensioner ;)

Melbury
07-10-09, 02:24 PM
If when driving down a very steep hill, one would engage the low ratio of at least 2nd or possibly 1st. So if parked on the level or facing uphill, 1st would be ok.
As far as bump starting ( not Insignia ) 3rd would be easier.
Maybe we are getting a bit carried away with all this but hey, dont rely on the handbrake anyway!

guinney1971
07-10-09, 06:34 PM
I remember seeing this on Watchdog when they investigated Vectra C's and Signums for handbrake failure.

Didnt Vauxhall put it down to 'pilot error' - ie people not putting the handbrake on 'properly' (wtf....) :rolleyes:

The automatic handbrakes fitted on Renaults were fantastic, as they basically increased their grip the longer they were on. No risk of the handbrake letting go as the brakes cool down.

I really do think that it is appaling that GM Europe/Opel/Vauxhall have let this important car loose on the public and people are having so many problems with them, especially things that were problems with the old car.

I'll stick with my old Cav's and the Astra Cabby if you dont mind....... (and I always park my car with the handbrake on and in 1st gear, no matter where I am).

para999
07-10-09, 08:52 PM
think i saw on here someone saying about electric handbrakes on cars with flat batteries well had one car ( not an insignia ) with that same problem today flat battery the only way to get the handbrake off was to boost the battery long enough to get it off. but had a renault the other day with the same problem and i guess renault have thought about this senario and they fitted a manual release handle under the back and bingo.it has to be reset by the stealers but once done its as good as new.
maybe vauxhall should follow suit !

Vauxhallnutter Mark
07-10-09, 09:29 PM
I'm the same as Claire, I always park with the handbrake on and in first gear because not only does putting the car in gear provide a back up to the handbrake it is also an anti theft measure as well because theives can't jack up the back of your car and wheel it away on the front wheels.

There is always going to be teething troubles with new cars but I think the Insignia is having more than its fair share.

cameron66
10-10-09, 04:18 PM
Thanks ! A timely warning indeed, I have noticed an unusual
sound when apply the handbrake on my 1.8 on the odd occasion and as many will know Vectras were subject to a recall for handbrake upgrade.

Is this noise you are hearing like a loud clonk sound when you applied the handbrake.

If so... its a known fault, and advise you get the dealer to sort it.

Used to occur on my last Insignia untill they fixed it.

Melbury
11-10-09, 04:13 PM
Thanks! Yes there is a clonk, not loud and only happens an odd time.
I will ask the dealer to sort it.