PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 turbo mods

Fabos
05-10-09, 11:52 AM
Hi

I'm thinking of buying a 1.6turbo, I am waiting for the dealer to get one in so I can test drive it. Is it a big improvement on the petrol 1.8, when I drove it I felt I wanted more from the engine:(.

If I do buy it I might be interested in doing some minor performance mods. There doesn't seem to be much info on the 1.6 in the Insignia, has the same engine been used in other models. Does anyone have any usefull links regarding moding this engine?

Thanks

Fabos

cameron66
10-10-09, 05:21 PM
Hi

I'm thinking of buying a 1.6turbo, I am waiting for the dealer to get one in so I can test drive it. Is it a big improvement on the petrol 1.8, when I drove it I felt I wanted more from the engine:(.

If I do buy it I might be interested in doing some minor performance mods. There doesn't seem to be much info on the 1.6 in the Insignia, has the same engine been used in other models. Does anyone have any usefull links regarding moding this engine?

Thanks

Fabos

I drove my cousins new 1.6 turbo Insignia just a couple of weeks ago, he'd only had it a few days, and compared to the 1.8vvt it is noticable much quicker on pickup, and seemed quite free revving unlike the 1.8. I instantly noticed it was a little quieter too on tickover, where the 1.8 is quite a noisy beast especially on tickover. Having driven all the models now, I would advise you go for the 160 diesel version every time.

I just dont think the 1.8 or the 1.6 turbo are simply big enough engines for such a heavy car. The 1.8 is definately underpowered, and taking the 1.6 prices into consideration and reported poor fuel consumption by users one is better off getting the diesel. I think a bigger cc turbo diesel engine is preferable to a smaller sooped up petrol version. JMO

rosco
10-10-09, 10:05 PM
the 1.6 petrol is fine when driven normally its only when you proper take the xxxx or cruise at above 100 that it drops off

Fabos
11-10-09, 10:09 AM
Still waiting to hear from the dealer about a test drive. I think they may be having troubl egetting hold of one :(