PDA

View Full Version : Love Car 6Month now list of problems

stephenRT
05-10-09, 07:20 PM
First love the Car 6 Month in now but have some small problems / worries some of you also have the same? Car Insignia 2009 1.8 VVT. a) power band (Value lift) gives a flat spot first, a good lift in power sometimes but hit and miss, works on oil pressure I am told, how can we have the power we know is there but when ask for it, it?s \ unsafe to rely on it when overtaking? b) First Start gives shake knock noise followed by a second noise and sounds like a dry starter spine noise, c) Hand Brake as others needs a hard / second pull, easy to be to light feels on but not, d) New noise, stop car and sit still air con on, repeating distinct tick / ratchet sound for under bonnet front left, stops if you turn temp up / air con off, e) Load Roar from engine area when pulling away, sounds like air intake silencer or lack of, but on a modem car far, far to load, need to turn up radio, have tried other members ideas with air box no joy, f ) Pulling Away its very easy to stall and engine or make it shake, may be its just under powered for its size? last car 2.2 Zafira no problems, g) new, petrol flap will not open as it did, need to stand outside after pressing flap then lock and unlock car, flap opens? Plan to send details to local Vauxhall dealer and Vauxhalls own member forum

Rockh
05-10-09, 07:31 PM
The 1.8 is a little under powered for the size of the car, plenty of people have commented on various issues.
There is a rework for the valve lifters to prevent the oil drain back when standing (the noise at start).
Air con runs after switch off on many cars, allows it to remove the condensate from the system.
Fuel flap requires a double press of the remote to unlock.

stephenRT
05-10-09, 08:28 PM
Air con ? sorry car still running say waiting a shops for wife? Fuel flap has worked fine and as expected for 5 months just stop at pumps turn off get out press flap and fill up,now need to remove keys press flap 1,2,10 time will not open until I close door remote lock and unlock then it open on its own, but thanks for your input.

rosco
05-10-09, 08:34 PM
Air con ? sorry car still running say waiting a shops for wife? Fuel flap has worked fine and as expected for 5 months just stop at pumps turn off get out press flap and fill up,now need to remove keys press flap 1,2,10 time will not open until I close door remote lock and unlock then it open on its own, but thanks for your input.

i think theres something in the manual in the central locking section about resetting it if you get a problem similar to what youve described

Rockh
05-10-09, 08:48 PM
You've always had to press the remote twice to release the fuel flap, it is in the manual, the fact it is released without the remote would indicate a problem. Mine did lock shut (with not alot of fuel in the tank...), Vx reset the central locking and it's behaved ever since.

martin99
05-10-09, 08:48 PM
Must agree with the petrol flap - mine has a mind of its own too.
Lock the car flap unlocks and vice versa - people here said to disconnect battery to re-set - did that - worked for a couple of weeks then back to mucking about.

Rain sensor wipers come on in sunlight - when raining they wont come on until the screen is completely covered - bit scary on M25 today :eek:

cameron66
10-10-09, 04:59 PM
First love the Car 6 Month in now but have some small problems / worries some of you also have the same? Car Insignia 2009 1.8 VVT. a) power band (Value lift) gives a flat spot first, a good lift in power sometimes but hit and miss, works on oil pressure I am told, how can we have the power we know is there but when ask for it, it?s \ unsafe to rely on it when overtaking? b) First Start gives shake knock noise followed by a second noise and sounds like a dry starter spine noise, c) Hand Brake as others needs a hard / second pull, easy to be to light feels on but not, d) New noise, stop car and sit still air con on, repeating distinct tick / ratchet sound for under bonnet front left, stops if you turn temp up / air con off, e) Load Roar from engine area when pulling away, sounds like air intake silencer or lack of, but on a modem car far, far to load, need to turn up radio, have tried other members ideas with air box no joy, f ) Pulling Away its very easy to stall and engine or make it shake, may be its just under powered for its size? last car 2.2 Zafira no problems, g) new, petrol flap will not open as it did, need to stand outside after pressing flap then lock and unlock car, flap opens? Plan to send details to local Vauxhall dealer and Vauxhalls own member forum

I have to agree with your comments about how easy it is to stall the car, certainly the 1.8 was one of the worst cars I've ever had for this problem, only answer is to give it plenty of revs when pulling away, I did'nt like doing it, as thats not the way I would normally drive a car, but to avoid stalling especially on a incline you dont have a lot of choice.

The airbox roar type noise will almost certainly be due to it resonating, many users have experienced this same problem. The flat spots on the VVT engine is really annoying but VX techs told me there was little they could do about it, The rattling noise like a sticking started motor, is as Rocke stated due to oil draining back overnight and allowing the cam hydaulic adjustment pulley to flop about loose, they have finally come up with a rework fix which involves fitting two modified valves which prevents the oil from draining back when the car had been left standing.
AYS the 1.8vvt Insignia is not exactly performance inspiring, fue consumption could be much better too especially when being pushed, and unfortunately you do really have to get the VVT reving a fair bit to get the best from it.

On the subject of fuel economy many of the diesel 160 versions IMO are not very frugal with many users only managing around 38mpg which in my book is not that brilliant for diesel. I've just returned after a weeks holiday during which I knocked up about 1K miles on my BM 2ltr 318i auto and the computer shows it averaged 39.8 and thats for a automatic petrol.
The Insignia is a very heavy car, and that, plus the extra measures to lower emissions have a big impact on the fuel economy.

Personally I would not recommend any of the petrol Insignia models, for me it would have to be the 160 diesel everytime. A cousin has the newer 1.6 turbo model, and while it seems far more nippy than the 1.8, he says its heavy on petrol returning around 26/27mpg, he now wishes he had gone for the diesel version himself.
Sounds like you need to get yours booked into your dealers, if you have'nt already done so matey and get some of those issues sorted out.
Hope you get it sorted.:)

lewisburglin
10-10-09, 07:10 PM
Lol, i'd go 1 step further Cam and not reccomend any Insignia.lol. Nothing but problems.

cameron66
11-10-09, 10:59 AM
Lol, i'd go 1 step further Cam and not reccomend any Insignia.lol. Nothing but problems.

Though sometimes difficult to resist, I've tried Lewis not to let my bad experiences with the Insignia affect my posts too much. However, yes you are sadly correct that it is hard to recommend the Insignia while VX still have major issues due to the lack of spares. The one Insignia on my sons business cars is still off the road awaiting a DMF, what should have been fixed within a couple of days is taking weeks. (awaiting clutch parts) The dealer is also refusing to extend use of a courtesy car beyond 3 weeks which does little for customer satisfaction.

Personally, yes I'm now glad I dropped mine, and of course regret ever buying the model, mainly due to the financial losses. The trouble is it's not that easy to accept and admit one has made a mistake, its natural that we all like to think we have done the right thing, and try and convince ourselves thats the case. I figured after 13 weeks of continual problems and the wife getting fed up of my moaning/worrying about the car it had to go. I appreciate some people are not so easily able to do this especially when the car has been purchased on HP as I would imagine it would complicate things and effect decisions whether to keep it or to sell on.

I've been a VX fan for many years having bought 4 of their models all brand new, but sadly this is one customer who is unlikely to purchase another.

I love my BM, so much so that we have decided to spend a bit more of our savings and go for a new 320 auto for the new reg plates next year, its likely to be my last car so why not. You can't take it with you.
Everything on the BM is practical and it works, their attention to detail is fantastic, little things..small example.. on the Insignia when you remove the petrol cap you have to be careful not to damage the side of your car when it hangs down the side against the paintwork. BM cars have a special slot on the petrol flap which hold the cap while your refilling, the list of little things like that is endless, everything just works so well, I just wish I'd bought one much sooner.

back on topic...lol
TBH I am a little surprised that the VX spares problems have gone on this long, there was a large VX dealer on the retail park we were visiting while on holiday, and I learned that the spares situation has not improved at all. Saying they had 4 Insignia's off the road awaiting parts, disturbingly 2 of those were clutches.:( Not good at all. Interesting was that he mentioned they had been informed by VX that they have changed their supplier where they source the DMF components from, so that may explain the delays in getting the parts to the UK dealers.

Is yours.. still off the road then Lewis. ? if so... how long have you had the courtesy car for now?

lewisburglin
11-10-09, 11:06 AM
I do agree with you Cam but like you said its very hard to keep your chin up for VX, well I got my car on the 15th of Aug and i've only had the pleasure of its company for 4 days! All the other time its been in the garage....mostly waiting for parts.
They reckon that there going to change the EGR valve....AGAIN... only the 3rd time, if it is this is there a mass issue with them....I dont think so, more like something on my car causing them to fail!
Last I heard they were sending someone from VX technical but if they cant fix it this time the cars being sent to Luton.

Just to note dont forget EssexAsh's car is still off the road also waiting for a Clutch, think he's had his car for about the same time as me.

As I said given a choice now it wouldnt be VX Insignia.

cameron66
11-10-09, 11:33 AM
I do agree with you Cam but like you said its very hard to keep your chin up for VX, well I got my car on the 15th of Aug and i've only had the pleasure of its company for 4 days! All the other time its been in the garage....mostly waiting for parts.
They reckon that there going to change the EGR valve....AGAIN... only the 3rd time, if it is this is there a mass issue with them....I dont think so, more like something on my car causing them to fail!
Last I heard they were sending someone from VX technical but if they cant fix it this time the cars being sent to Luton.

Just to note dont forget EssexAsh's car is still off the road also waiting for a Clutch, think he's had his car for about the same time as me.

As I said given a choice now it wouldnt be VX Insignia.

I'ts not a good situation at all, I almost feel a little sympathy for the dealers as they cant fix them without spares parts, and their the ones who get the brunt of the customers dis-satisfaction.

I must admit when I now see one on the road I no longer feel any envy, has anyone said anything to you that VX will only finance the cost of a courtesy car for up to 3 weeks ? After that the dealer bears the cost himself or has to withdraw the courtesy car, that's what Gary my sons employee was told by their dealer.

lewisburglin
11-10-09, 11:40 AM
I'ts not a good situation at all, I almost feel a little sympathy for the dealers as they cant fix them without spares parts, and their the ones who get the brunt of the customers dis-satisfaction.

I must admit when I now see one on the road I no longer feel any envy, has anyone said anything to you that VX will only finance the cost of a courtesy car for up to 3 weeks ? After that the dealer bears the cost himself or has to withdraw the courtesy car, that's what Gary my sons employee was told by their dealer.

"I must admit when I now see one on the road I no longer feel any envy"......ditto mate.

They've not said anything about the car at the moment but they tried to give me a astra I was like errr i dont think so, so there having to rent one from national car rental to give me. Reckon there bill must be getting close to a grand now for a months worth of Insignia hire?!
Now im trying to push them for compensation aswell and the pure inconvenience of having to come in and out of work....breaking down and ruining my holiday too. Keep you posted!lol

Sportstourer
11-10-09, 12:05 PM
Though sometimes difficult to resist, I've tried Lewis not to let my bad experiences with the Insignia affect my posts too much. However, yes you are sadly correct that it is hard to recommend the Insignia while VX still have major issues due to the lack of spares. The one Insignia on my sons business cars is still off the road awaiting a DMF, what should have been fixed within a couple of days is taking weeks. (awaiting clutch parts) The dealer is also refusing to extend use of a courtesy car beyond 3 weeks which does little for customer satisfaction.

Personally, yes I'm now glad I dropped mine, and of course regret ever buying the model, mainly due to the financial losses. The trouble is it's not that easy to accept and admit one has made a mistake, its natural that we all like to think we have done the right thing, and try and convince ourselves thats the case. I figured after 13 weeks of continual problems and the wife getting fed up of my moaning/worrying about the car it had to go. I appreciate some people are not so easily able to do this especially when the car has been purchased on HP as I would imagine it would complicate things and effect decisions whether to keep it or to sell on.

I've been a VX fan for many years having bought 4 of their models all brand new, but sadly this is one customer who is unlikely to purchase another.

I love my BM, so much so that we have decided to spend a bit more of our savings and go for a new 320 auto for the new reg plates next year, its likely to be my last car so why not. You can't take it with you.
Everything on the BM is practical and it works, their attention to detail is fantastic, little things..small example.. on the Insignia when you remove the petrol cap you have to be careful not to damage the side of your car when it hangs down the side against the paintwork. BM cars have a special slot on the petrol flap which hold the cap while your refilling, the list of little things like that is endless, everything just works so well, I just wish I'd bought one much sooner.

back on topic...lol
TBH I am a little surprised that the VX spares problems have gone on this long, there was a large VX dealer on the retail park we were visiting while on holiday, and I learned that the spares situation has not improved at all. Saying they had 4 Insignia's off the road awaiting parts, disturbingly 2 of those were clutches.:( Not good at all. Interesting was that he mentioned they had been informed by VX that they have changed their supplier where they source the DMF components from, so that may explain the delays in getting the parts to the UK dealers.

Is yours.. still off the road then Lewis. ? if so... how long have you had the courtesy car for now?

On my Insignia as with my old Omega and my wife's Corsa, there is indeed a little slot for the petrol filler cap.

lewisburglin
11-10-09, 01:59 PM
On my Insignia as with my old Omega and my wife's Corsa, there is indeed a little slot for the petrol filler cap.

Yes this is present. Although i'd rather have a engine that works.;)

cameron66
11-10-09, 02:51 PM

Hmmm. certainly was'nt anything on mine, unless I stupidly failed to realise it was there all along..lol not impossible knowing me. I thought it was a bit silly..having it hang down the side of the car, shall have to have a look again when I get chance. I stand corrected...sorry. Must be going stupid in old age.(-

essixash
13-10-09, 10:24 PM
Must agree with the petrol flap - mine has a mind of its own too.
Lock the car flap unlocks and vice versa - people here said to disconnect battery to re-set - did that - worked for a couple of weeks then back to mucking about.

Rain sensor wipers come on in sunlight - when raining they wont come on until the screen is completely covered - bit scary on M25 today :eek:

It has never rained since ive had it so i ave never seen mine work lol, but when it did rain the darn thing was in the garage with a clutch problem

essixash
13-10-09, 10:35 PM
Ive just received mine back today, after the clutch burnt out after 6 days. VX have said it was MY fault.................after 6 days??? and that they will "replace it this time" what a cheek, but should it go again i will be billed for it, I told them to get on their bike. I am intending to write a very LONG strongly worded letter to someone very high up in VX and i intend to note how all THREE temporary cars which they loaned me (all of which i have had longer than my own car (the insignia) have had no clutch problems, neither have all my previous vehicles in the 6 years ive been driving. Yet they seem to think CONVENIENTLY on ONLY that ONE week i owned an Insignia for, i suddenly forgot how to use a clutch. Yeah ok then VX and the fact that i drive all day everyday for work doesnt suggest i am a fairly experienced driver. Surely if this were the case then id ave busted the clutch on the Astra's and Vectra's they have been loaning me too? OH and to top it all, they told me it was my fault BEFORE they had even looked at the car. Then a week after blaming me, when i rang to ask how they were getting on with the car, they informed me that they hadnt even touched it as they were awaiting confirmation to dismantle the car to investigate it to diagnose the problem. SO they had no idea what the problem was yet, BUT they DEFINATELY knew it was 100% my fault, whatever this problem was that they were gonna find. What a joke????? To say im livid wouldnt even begin to explain how angry they have made me. I can see they have really mastered the art of customer service. Dont use Toomeys Vauxhall, particularly the Laindon in Essex branch lol. Sales team ...................excellent.............Rental team...............excellent..............Service team............the job centre is there for a reason d* *k heads

There is no way they could make me pay for any future faults, they wont ever get money out of me for a faulty part they put on a BRAND NEW car thats less than a week old. I honestly truely cannot believe their sheer cheek.

Then they decided to let me know they are "going to pay for the temporary rental cars ive had to use whilst mines been in the garage" YES too right u are............... like they are doing me a favour........... ive paid for a brand new Insignia which, after waiting nearly 5 months for it in the first place, has AFTER A WEEK now been sat in their stinking garage for near on a month. What a total joke. Im not happy with their service at all, they have been really poor.

Anyway im done, i feel much better after that......... lol

essixash
14-10-09, 08:10 AM
Thanks for your vote of confidence....................im getting used to that now lol