PDA

View Full Version : AFL Lights Activation

Happy42
06-10-09, 05:03 PM
Hi Folks,

For those with the AFL Lights fitted.

Had me Elite now for 5 months and still my pride and joy to drive :D

Here's me thinking all this time that the AFL lighting was automatic - Silly Me !!

Although the auto headlights work, the cornering lights work and the lights move whilst turning the steering wheel, the light patterns don't untill activated.

Pays to read the whole of the manual :

Whilst engine off, pull main beam stalk towards you and hold on untill light icon flashes in dash. Once flashing switch on Ignition you hear a bleep - all done :) AFL now activated.

When starting the car you see the icon flashing with an audible bleep to show AFL activated. If Light just remains solid without a bleep then AFL is not activated.

I did notice last night for the first time the various patterns on the road - never a dull moment with these cars, learning every day (-

Cheers :)

mitch1408
06-10-09, 05:18 PM
Do you have to do this everytime you start the car or just the once?

Strange you have to activate it though, I cant think why you wouldnt want them on!! :rolleyes:

Rockh
06-10-09, 06:54 PM
You can switch AFL off or on, could be that it was turned off for delivery and not reactivated.

Happy42
06-10-09, 07:23 PM
Yeah, only have to do once thanks, and probably was turned off for delivery.

I was just a bit slow on the uptake ;)

I was impressed before I activated the lights, I think they are amazing :)

oh - you can deactivate by doing the same procedure but as Mitch says - why turn it off.

Mr Elite
07-10-09, 09:02 AM
Hi Folks,

Whilst engine off, pull main beam stalk towards you and hold on untill light icon flashes in dash. Once flashing switch on Ignition you hear a bleep - all done :) AFL now activated.

When starting the car you see the icon flashing with an audible bleep to show AFL activated. If Light just remains solid without a bleep then AFL is not activated.

This look very similar to the procedure for setting the AFL lights for foreign travel - I am going to France next month and asked in the dealers and the procedure they showed me was the same as this.
And yes you can set the lights to switch on when you open/lock the doors.

Happy42
07-10-09, 01:34 PM
Hi,

Very strage that the settings for traveling abroad are the same ? how does the car know what side of the road it should be driving :confused:

I've travelled across Europe now for the past 12 years and have never altered my lights - don't see the Europeans changing their lights when driving in the UK !

Never been questioned about it or pulled by any cops / Customs. may just be lucky ;)

Cheers and enjoy your trip to France (-

Peterborough-John
08-10-09, 07:08 PM
Just find it so strange everything is so difficult to understand or access on new cars, surely they can make it more simple, maybe it takes away the fun :confused:
My 1979 vauxhall chevette never had all these problems, just needed a haynes manual occasionaly :D:D

vauxvet
08-10-09, 08:31 PM
Hi Folks,

For those with the AFL Lights fitted.

Had me Elite now for 5 months and still my pride and joy to drive :D

Here's me thinking all this time that the AFL lighting was automatic - Silly Me !!

Although the auto headlights work, the cornering lights work and the lights move whilst turning the steering wheel, the light patterns don't untill activated.

I did notice last night for the first time the various patterns on the road - never a dull moment with these cars, learning every day (-

I can't get mine to do this i've held the stalk for ages and nothing happens, i've got the solid light and no bleeps so don't know what i'm doing wrong, i might try reading the manual

Amos
09-10-09, 06:30 AM
Same here .

I can't get mine to do this i've held the stalk for ages and nothing happens, i've got the solid light and no bleeps so don't know what i'm doing wrong, i might try reading the manual

Mr Elite
09-10-09, 06:50 AM
While holding the stalk back then turn on the ignition and wait a few seconds till the light flashes.

Happy42
09-10-09, 07:31 AM
Hmm, strange my AFL light icon started flashing prior to switching the ignition on, perhaps slightly diff software versions :confused:

Ah well typical new cars but we did want all those gadgets :D

Great Cars :)

Cheers

Sportstourer
09-10-09, 12:34 PM
As I read the manual, if the light is flashing, that means the system is set to symmetrical low beam. In other words not asymmetrical.

Accordingly for normal driving in Britain with AFL the light should not be flashing.

The AFL light should only flash for Continental Driving where symmetrical low beam is required to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

In my Omega there were levers either side of each headlight which you had to move up on one side and down on the other to adapt to continental driving and do the reverse when you came back....but you always ended up with dirty hands before boarding the ferry!

Peterborough-John
09-10-09, 01:15 PM
As I read the manual, if the light is flashing, that means the system is set to symmetrical low beam. In other words not asymmetrical.

Accordingly for normal driving in Britain with AFL the light should not be flashing.

The AFL light should only flash for Continental Driving where symmetrical low beam is required to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

In my Omega there were levers either side of each headlight which you had to move up on one side and down on the other to adapt to continental driving and do the reverse when you came back....but you always ended up with dirty hands before boarding the ferry!

This is quite correct according to the manual, if the light is off and does not flash when turning on ignition, this means the beam is set to extend visibility at the edge of the road on the passenger side ie. this is what you need for british roads and is set for that purpose.
If you activate the system as described earlier in this thread you are extending visibility and extra light on the drivers side which you would need to do when driving abroad to light the verge.
It is not wise to activate this in britain as you lose visibilty on the passenger side and possibly over light the road on your off side.
All the adaptive forward lighting , country lighting , town lighting etc are activated in Auto lighting.

Toon
10-10-09, 03:27 PM
I'm finding that even without the high beam on I'm still getting flashed so I have followed these instructions and hope that I no longer dazzle oncoming traffic!

Toon
23-10-09, 07:54 PM
Just done a 300 mile trip and still getting flashed even when high beam is not on! I need to take this back to the dealer because I literally got flashed over 30 times because my lights are too bright!

PRO-INSIGNIA
23-10-09, 09:01 PM
Just done a 300 mile trip and still getting flashed even when high beam is not on! I need to take this back to the dealer because I literally got flashed over 30 times because my lights are too bright!

sounds like the lights are just set a bit high. Should be a quick adjustment at the dealers while you wait.:)

PRO-INSIGNIA
23-10-09, 10:05 PM
I take it you don't have an adjustment in the cab, like other griffins??:confused:

all zenon have to have automatic height adjustment by law. No manual adjustment from inside.

Rockh
23-10-09, 10:21 PM
I've found that if they are on auto you get flashed regularly however when you use them manually you get far fewer.
Will take mine to the dealers when I get a chance to get them to check the level settings at some point, did ask last time I had it in if there were any software updates / adjustments for the AFL system but they said that the only update was not applicable to my car...

stephen florida
23-10-09, 11:47 PM
Tried and tried to get auto high beam to work and failed , will have another go tomorrow.

steev
www.bookmyvilla.com

mitch1408
26-10-09, 06:32 PM
Ive done a bit of night driving now (be even more now the clocks have gone back) and I keep getting flashed also but only when im doing more than 60mph which, I think, is the speed the motorway light comes on and therefore are angled slightly higher than normal.

Ive also been flashed when the main beam is on but think this is because the oncoming cars lights arnt bright enough to activate the camera to dip them, as soon as they flash they dip! Bit annoying and I feel bad for blinding people but I can see where im going so clearly!!!! lol (-

vectraman
26-10-09, 10:46 PM
best way to find out if you have automatic beam on is look at the rev counter, see if you see two sets of green lights, one is for daylight running lights the other one with a "A" in it means your on AFL. "A" (Automatic)
The manual also says if you pull the full beam stack up for over 5 sec you activate the beam to shine on the right hand side, which will also sounded with a chime each time you switch on your ignision

:p ;)

Insignia 2ltr Turbo
VXR body kit
19" wheels
AFL LIGHTS

Vectra-Arctic
27-10-09, 04:56 PM
Too complicated. I'll just strike a match ! :eek:

Amos
30-11-09, 06:29 AM
Just found that on mine auto main beam is not an option if fitted with front camera :mad::mad:

mitch1408
30-11-09, 11:24 AM
Fed up with being flashed I took my car into the dealer to have the angle of the lights checked. Within a few mins they said everything was fine however I did get a software update, dont know what for and not noticed any changes! Havnt driven in the dark since so dont know if it was an update for the AFL but time will tell!

mitch1408
30-11-09, 11:26 AM
Just found that on mine auto main beam is not an option if fitted with front camera :mad::mad:

Its because the camera that reads the roadsigns is in the same place as the main beam camera.

Shame as its a really good feature to have ;)

Amos
30-11-09, 05:33 PM
Great you pay for more and get less, thats life:(

Its because the camera that reads the roadsigns is in the same place as the main beam camera.

Shame as its a really good feature to have ;)

vectraman
02-12-09, 10:48 PM
What roadside camera's VH ditched them, As for the AFL light activation system I switch mine's off, I do quite a lot of country road driving and blind on coming drivers before the AFL lights would dip, some drivers would even stop co's they were blinded by these powerful lights