PDA

View Full Version : First Service Due

martin99
09-10-09, 07:26 PM
My "Change oil Now" warning has come up at 18500 so off to book it in for its first service.
Has anyone had a service yet and if so are the dealers ok about the upgrades etc on the software?

Happy42
09-10-09, 08:28 PM
Not yet, 12.5K on the clock and still 35% Oil Life left, let us know how your 1st service goes :)

Cheers

Amos
10-10-09, 06:22 AM
I'm on 4.5k and on 58% i've just got an oil filter ready, i always do mine at 5k the oil filter was 3 times cost of the vectra one.

martin99
10-10-09, 07:38 AM
Mitch - Yes they say 20k but then fit an oil life reader and so to keep the warrenty in check you have to foolow the on board service indicator. However by the time it goes in it will be on 19500

Booked in for next friday - service booked online :eek: so havent spoken to a human yet at the local dealer. Might just ring them next week and check its booked in ;)

Sportstourer
10-10-09, 07:57 AM
I've only done 448 miles in my 2.0l petrol turbo and it says 51% - it came down from 52%. Let's hope the rate of fall starts slowing down! Does it start off at 100%?

nrg
10-10-09, 08:20 AM
9,500 miles and mine is saying change oil soon 0%...i am waiting for a bit!

Amos
10-10-09, 11:07 AM
The filter was about £22.00 + £15.00 for the oil

:eek::eek::eek: so, how dear does that come out at now??
For those that are going to swap their own oil, the club discount on here will make it alot cheaper,, ;);) filters, oil/(710) :)

Amos
10-10-09, 12:03 PM
5/30long life i get trade

Which oil is this?? my oil was initially £47, but got this reduced to £23. this was for 05-30w

Melbury
11-10-09, 05:13 PM
Is it anyway easy to access the filter and the drain plug? Does it require any special tools? Also, have you any idea of the price the dealer would charge if he does it?

martin99
18-10-09, 06:44 PM
Got my car back from its first service:
The dealer is having to order a whole new centre console because of 1 cup holder clip gone missing :confused:
Had the software updates installed and now have to re-set every setting on the car - bored now :mad:
Cruise control now doesn't work :mad:
Warning chimes now work when they feel like it :(
Auto lighting stopped working:mad:
Auto wipers only work when screen is completely covered in water :eek:

So its back to the dealer - Oh Joy

Rockh
18-10-09, 07:08 PM
Oh dear, not good.

Vectra-Arctic
18-10-09, 07:22 PM
We have to ask ouselves,, just how much are these "technicians" on per hour??:(:(
Hope they find someone with an inclination on how to fix a vauxhall.:rolleyes:

Not a great deal according to some VX Techs, mind you the Dealer Labour rates are OTT ! :mad:

Melbury
19-10-09, 07:55 PM
Got my car back from its first service:
The dealer is having to order a whole new centre console because of 1 cup holder clip gone missing :confused:
Had the software updates installed and now have to re-set every setting on the car - bored now :mad:
Cruise control now doesn't work :mad:
Warning chimes now work when they feel like it :(
Auto lighting stopped working:mad:
Auto wipers only work when screen is completely covered in water :eek:

So its back to the dealer - Oh Joy
And so did they make any charge for making such a xxxxxxxx of it?
Makes me think all the more that it would be better to change the oil and filter ones self to avoid having people meddling with software, looks like they havent a clue!

Vectra-Arctic
19-10-09, 07:59 PM
And so did they make any charge for making such a xxxxxxxx of it?
Makes me think all the more that it would be better to change the oil and filter ones self to avoid having people meddling with software, looks like they havent a clue!

True Mechanic 'ing seems to have died. Just plug in a Laptop and service the car. :(

Rockh
19-10-09, 08:54 PM
Talking to the head fleet mech at work to change the oil is a complete PITA.
Apparently getting the oil filter out is a knuckle rapping job. In from the wheel arch but it's still very awkward and the residual oil goes all over the shop, needs some kind of funnel setup to catch it before it ends up all over the under trays.

cameron66
20-10-09, 06:24 AM
I like to give my cars a interim change of oil and filter about halfway between services. As you know the cost of Fully synthetic oil is not cheap, but National Tyres are doing a loss making promotion for a fully synthetic oil and filter change for less than £35.
Though I would'nt normally let these people touch my cars, I decided as long as I kept a eye on what they were doing I'd give it a try, especially as I could'nt even buy the oil for anywhere near that price, it also happens to be the same oil that BMW recommend for their cars.

They use Castrol Edge fully synthetic 5/30 oil which they draw from large 40 gallon drums, fully marked with Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic on them, I know because I looked. Only thing I did do... was to supply my own filter which I'd previously bought from the BMW dealer to be on safe side, and asked him to fit mine instead, though I'm fairly sure the Unipart filter they would have fitted would have been okay, (he left the unused boxed Unipart filter in my car)
The guy seemed reasonably competent, using the new copper washer which also comes in the filter box. The oil filter on BM's is right at the top of the engine and is directly in front of you when you open the bonnet so changing the actual filter is a doddle. However, it gave me the opportunity to have a browse under the car while it was in the air, and basically watch him do the job.

Total online price I paid was £30.34 which can't be bad, and probably cheaper than doing the job yourself. If your engine holds more than 6ltrs it will cost you a little more.
Not a bad price when you consider that Halfrauds charge £17 just for 1 litre of this oil.

So for those who like to change their oil more frequently this is a cheap way of doing it without getting your hands dirty. There has been much discussion on the BM forums regarding this offer, with initially a few members having some concerns that the oil they used may not be the genuine stuff, ie.. if its sound too cheap there's a catch.

However there is no catch and the oil is the genuine stuff, in fact National Tyres lose money on this deal, its a promotion to get people in there, and hopefully flog you some tyres or whatever.

cameron66
20-10-09, 09:21 AM
I would doubt that they'd run this at a loss tbh Cam, they buy the oil in bulk, you mention 40 gallon drum's, this would be alot cheaper to buy in than in 5 litre format, but they'd also buy it in bulk too, so it wouldn't be just one drum, possibly 100 drum, distributed around outlets.;);)

Anyone who has a clubcard, I bought genuine Gm oil & filter from a dealer, 05/30 fully synth plus a filter for less than half price. Oil is usually £47??:)

I was merely quoting the manager of the branch, AYS they obviously would be buying in bulk, but IMO a good deal though.. dont you think, and when I compared their Unipart filter and the genuine OE one I had taken along for them to fit, I could'nt really see any difference.

Regarding the discount card, when I had the Insignia I actually asked if they would give a discount when I paid for some trim items and the triangle/first aid pack, including a 1ltr of oil which they charged me £13+ total was about £45, I produced the discount card, and they would'nt give any discount, saying they did'nt do it there. That was at Baylis Ltd, Hereford. So sadly it seems not all the dealers will give a discount... certainly not mine anyway... load of tight gits..lol(-

Melbury
20-10-09, 02:40 PM
Talking to the head fleet mech at work to change the oil is a complete PITA.
Apparently getting the oil filter out is a knuckle rapping job. In from the wheel arch but it's still very awkward and the residual oil goes all over the shop, needs some kind of funnel setup to catch it before it ends up all over the under trays.
I would have thought an undertray would need to be removed to facilitate oil draining.
The filter may be easier removed from the 1.8 petrol as it dosent occupy so much space as the diesels!

Rockh
20-10-09, 04:06 PM
I would have thought an undertray would need to be removed to facilitate oil draining.
The filter may be easier removed from the 1.8 petrol as it dosent occupy so much space as the diesels!

It does but there are a few struts in the way which stop you from getting a collection device easily under the filter.