PDA

View Full Version : disc brakes

vectraman
15-10-09, 10:28 PM
My 2ltr se insigmia is about 9 months now, I was washing the car at the weekend and noticed a lot off brake dust on front and back wheels, Nothing to be to concered about, but what I was concered about was the groves in the rear discs never seen this on a car thats only nine months old,
so reported it to local VX dealer, who will check it out, Anyone else got this problem with the rear disc`s

Amos
16-10-09, 06:43 AM
I got it on mine at 5 months & 4.5k miles.

renmar
16-10-09, 06:54 AM
very common problem (Opel/Vauxhall is looking for new type of brake pads for rear wheels) :(

Gsi3.2
16-10-09, 12:01 PM
just as renmar said.. dead common on Insignia's...VX were changing them under warranty if you complianed..:)

higgsy
16-10-09, 03:09 PM
5 weeks old, 4000 miles and groooovy rear discs

Vectra-Arctic
16-10-09, 05:53 PM
What ever happened to prototype testing prior to production runs to iron out any bugs/problems ? :mad:

Melbury
16-10-09, 07:40 PM
My 2ltr se insigmia is about 9 months now, I was washing the car at the weekend and noticed a lot off brake dust on front and back wheels, Nothing to be to concered about, but what I was concered about was the groves in the rear discs never seen this on a car thats only nine months old,
so reported it to local VX dealer, who will check it out, Anyone else got this problem with the rear disc`s
I will be making a close examination of discs in the morning .
I have the car nine months now and I recall an event when I had it about one month.
I was just moving off from a car park when I got this awful squealing from a rear wheel and on investigating found it was a small piece of gravel jammed against the disc.
Soon dislodged it but hey! was I glad it was only that.
I thought maybe the guards above the discs are not wide enough ( if thats anything to do with it)
But anyway, heres another thought on the matter of the brake pads.
Has anybody considered upgrading them for ones which generate less dust?
There are some good ones called 'Green Stuff' and then there are ones with Kevlar and maybe others.

2.0 vectra
16-10-09, 07:47 PM
would that stand ok with the warranty though ? what with the parts being none oe & all that

Rockh
03-11-09, 05:01 PM
Just under 10k and the nearside has more grooves than a record, offside has a few but no where near as bad. Dealer ordered bits, now just the parts waiting game....

vectraman
05-11-09, 08:26 PM
Had the Car back at VX to have a tow bar fitted asked them to check the rear disc's,
Reply was that the rear breaks do very little work not like the front and it was nothing to be concered about, (what a surprise)

Rockh
05-11-09, 10:02 PM
Rapid service from the dealer, bits came in within 24 hours, will be on the car Monday am :)

Vectra-Arctic
07-11-09, 11:37 AM
Rapid service from the dealer, bits came in within 24 hours, will be on the car Monday am :)

Good news then. Keep an eye on them for a while.

Rockh
09-11-09, 11:47 AM
Well that went well :( Right disks, wrong pads, give the dealer their dues they rang just as I pulled up outside to tell me and apologise.
Will be back in later this week for the job to be done again and to look at the drivers seat.

cameron66
09-11-09, 09:42 PM
Well that went well :( Right disks, wrong pads, give the dealer their dues they rang just as I pulled up outside to tell me and apologise.
Will be back in later this week for the job to be done again and to look at the drivers seat.

Whats wrong with the drivers seat. ?

EDIT... just read what the problem is in your other post.... hope they get it sorted matey.

The reason I asked is that a few owners had issues with movement in the seat frame, especially round bends etc. when there's slight side force applied, it used to do it on mine until it was cured with a VX rework fix.

Rockh
14-11-09, 04:02 PM
Now have nice shiny new disks and pads, apparently they are using different pads now. Will still be keeping an eye on them though.

Parts on order for heated seat, hopefully not too long a wait as my bum is getting cold :)

icemann3016
19-11-09, 08:24 AM
Strange, i`ve done on mine 33k km. and there aren`t any grooves on the rear discs. Dust A LOT sometimes the wheels look dark grey not silver but what i noticed that all new cars look like that.