PDA

View Full Version : Slight mishap!

edder
21-10-09, 06:37 PM
Let me set the scene.For the past 2.1/2 years I had a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso with electronic handbrake and hill assist and when you stopped the engine the handbrake came on automatically, also displayed in the centre display was handbrake on or off in large letters.
Hired a zafira when on holiday in Italy and noticed then I was not always applying the handbrake but always left it in gear so got away with that.

Tonight came home in my Insign Elite not two weeks old under 400 miles parked up.Sitting down having a cup of tea and this car like mine came rolling past the window then crunch -hazards on and alarm going off.
So I'm guessing I didn't apply handbrake .No glass broken just a new bumper and paint required.

You don't want pictures do you?.

Vectra-Arctic
21-10-09, 06:41 PM
Ouch.

We don't need to gloat.

thermalactivity
21-10-09, 06:43 PM
which silly neighbour with the same car as yours left it parked up without applying the handbrake!!!! :eek: hope it gets fixed soon....

chris66
21-10-09, 06:44 PM
Let me set the scene.For the past 2.1/2 years I had a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso with electronic handbrake and hill assist and when you stopped the engine the handbrake came on automatically, also displayed in the centre display was handbrake on or off in large letters.
Hired a zafira when on holiday in Italy and noticed then I was not always applying the handbrake but always left it in gear so got away with that.

Tonight came home in my Insign Elite not two weeks old under 400 miles parked up.Sitting down having a cup of tea and this car like mine came rolling past the window then crunch -hazards on and alarm going off.
So I'm guessing I didn't apply handbrake .No glass broken just a new bumper and paint required.

You don't want pictures do you?.

of a monumental occasion like this! of course we do!!
gutted for you really mate.:(what an easy mistake to make when your used to a car. all this new technology can't replace a brick in front of the wheel when parking up. Hope the damage isn't too bad and you get it repaired ok

vauxvet
21-10-09, 07:15 PM
Easy done mate, i've forgotten many times to put mine on, luckily i have the auto so you have to put it into park before you can get the keys out.

edder
21-10-09, 07:42 PM
Looks as if my insurance excess is £250 with claim discount protection.

Any idea of cost to repair?

Some of you may not know what that blue metal thing is,but it stopped the car going over a 2' drop.

chris66
21-10-09, 07:55 PM
Bodyshops are a racket mate. better to go to one that has been recommended to you. always make sur eyou see work they have done. the damage is minimal on yours so would think about not putting it through the insurance. keeps the cars record clean too.

mitch1408
21-10-09, 08:09 PM
Gutted for you mate!

I said somewhere on here tonight I still dont trust the electric parking brake yet, ill have to leave it on a hill and it still be there in the morning before i do!

I wouldnt go through the insurance either, cant seeing it being more than a few hundred quid at best. If the bumper is cracked I think they can sonicly weld them and then a respray. Cheaper than a new front bumper and with the spare parts that seem to be non existant might be your best option?

Hope its not too expensive and sorted soon!

cameron66
21-10-09, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear this bad news matey, I bet your'e gutted, I know I would be. I assume you forgot to put it in gear as well or did it manage to turn the engine.

Personally I'm not a big fan of electronic handbrakes, at least with a manual handbrake you know it works (unless its a iffy vec-c handbrake...lol)

I did'nt realise before buying this automatic that when you put a automatic car into its 'Park' position using the selector it also locks the box which prevents the car from moving, plus you have the normal hand brake of course.

thermalactivity
21-10-09, 08:59 PM
i used "chipsaway" for a similar bump that someone caused to my astra and it was only £125 and was a first class job...:D

http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/

etd
22-10-09, 11:42 AM
sorry to hear of the mishap... hope you get it fixed soon...

edder
22-10-09, 09:05 PM
Thank you all for your kind help and support.
Hopefully take the car in for a quote at a local Just Car Clinic.I know a chap who works there,they don't do private/cash jobs but should provide me with an accurate quote.
I don't feel too bad about the mishap because it could have been worse,could have hit a wall,rockery,lamppost or gone over a small wall.
It did roll about 15m.
I can assure you all the handbrake is on tonight with a chain around the rear axle fastened to a ground anchor!!.

chris66
22-10-09, 09:11 PM
Thank you all for your kind help and support.
Hopefully take the car in for a quote at a local Just Car Clinic.I know a chap who works there,they don't do private/cash jobs but should provide me with an accurate quote.
I don't feel too bad about the mishap because it could have been worse,could have hit a wall,rockery,lamppost or gone over a small wall.
It did roll about 15m.
I can assure you all the handbrake is on tonight with a chain around the rear axle fastened to a ground anchor!!.

good luck mate. hope the bills not too sore on the wallet.

Vectra-Arctic
24-10-09, 03:16 PM
Not a good advert for electronic handbrakes. :(

Hope you get it sorted and not to painful on the wallet.

cameron66
24-10-09, 04:02 PM
Not a good advert for electronic handbrakes. :(

I think in this instance however, unfortunately the OP forgot to apply the handbrake.

Vectra-Arctic
24-10-09, 04:07 PM
I think in this instance however, unfortunately the OP forgot to apply the handbrake.

Understood but I still wouldn't trust them on any car, VX or otherwise.

edder
24-10-09, 04:15 PM
Had car in yesterday for quote on bumper repair. options are

1,fit new bumper(£275)and paint to bring car the brand new condition =£600

2,using heat to "pop" bumper out and paint =£200+

3, claim on insurance, I have a £350 excess

4,insurance renewal due in a few weeks, lower excess to around £100 then claim.

I'm sure now what I did was a quick flick on the handbrake which didn't apply it .

Had some stick at work though,best suggestion from them was to dig four trenches and drive the car in to park.

Vectra-Arctic
24-10-09, 04:36 PM
Fit a chain to the wall of your house and the other end into the towing eye. Just check before you drive away !!!

edder
24-10-09, 05:24 PM
Fit a chain to the wall of your house and the other end into the towing eye. Just check before you drive away !!!

Yes, I could get one of those elastic tow ropes from Halfords,would lessen the shock if I forgot to disconnect!.

afisher
25-10-09, 04:47 PM
Yeah I always wait until the handbrake sign has stopped flashing before taking my foot off the brake. Takes a bit of getting used to as well.