PDA

View Full Version : iPod - whats going wrong?

mitch1408
21-10-09, 08:25 PM
Ive tried connecting my iPod touch to my Elite tonight and it says "checking iPod" for about 10 seconds then reverts back to the radio and ive got no idea how to make the car play the music on the ipod. My iPod says "device connected" but the car dosent seem to be able to see it - unless im doing something wrong!

Id read the manual but they gave me the manual for the CD300/400 not the DVD800!

thermalactivity
21-10-09, 08:44 PM
Ive tried connecting my iPod touch to my Elite tonight and it says "checking iPod" for about 10 seconds then reverts back to the radio and ive got no idea how to make the car play the music on the ipod. My iPod says "device connected" but the car dosent seem to be able to see it - unless im doing something wrong!

Id read the manual but they gave me the manual for the CD300/400 not the DVD800!

the dvd800 manual is back on here as a link mitch
http://www.4shared.com/file/137938109/55b35c5a/Insignia_DVD800_manual.html

to be honest i dont use my ipod in my car as the car can only recognise 999 files (or songs) until it then throws a wobbler! ive got about 10,000 songs on my ipod so i bought an 8gb usb stick instead and just make sure i never put more than 999 songs on it. i can also just leave it in the car then as im not as much worried about a £10 stick as i would be a £300 ipod!!

mitch1408
21-10-09, 08:47 PM
Cheers!

Rockh
22-10-09, 05:33 PM
Also depends on how recent your ipod is as it doesn't seem to work with the newer ones.
I've got a couple of sticks with music on depending on whether the kids are in the car or not.

mitch1408
22-10-09, 05:56 PM
So if i were to buy a new iPod nano tomorrow, chances are it wouldnt work?

Think ill go for one off ebay if this is the case?

thermalactivity
22-10-09, 05:59 PM
Think ill go for one off ebay if this is the case?

your better off going down the usb memory stick route mitch as you can only play 999 songs anyway...so for the sake of 8quid you can then leave it plugged in the car all the time ;)

Rockh
22-10-09, 06:26 PM
Seconded :), a couple of USB sticks, rotate when required and there's no risk of getting the car broken into because you left the ipod on show.

mitch1408
22-10-09, 06:30 PM
Good point, think ill go with that! Save a load of cash and reduce the risk of my car getting broken into!
Cheers fellas!

thermalactivity
22-10-09, 06:33 PM
i dont actually think that even if you connect your ipod that it shows album art on the nav screen either, so there is no advantage to the ipod being connected over a memory stick......or does someone know any differently??? :confused:

mitch1408
22-10-09, 06:39 PM
Can you still select songs and playlists etc on a USB stick?

thermalactivity
22-10-09, 06:41 PM

you can do and see everything that the ipod does with a memory stick when connected to the cars usb........mitch its a NO brainer!!! unless of course your one of these flash harry type people who like to show off to the world that you have an apple product HIDDEN away in your armrest :D :D :D

Rockh
22-10-09, 07:04 PM
Yep :)

higgsy
22-10-09, 08:01 PM
My Ipod touch has now stopped working. it says the device is not compatable you may disconnect. it worked no problem for the first few weeks.

chris66
22-10-09, 08:14 PM
My Ipod touch has now stopped working. it says the device is not compatable you may disconnect. it worked no problem for the first few weeks.

i have an 8 track for sale if yours is broken. comes with the hits of mary, mungo and midge. i only want 10 schillings and sixpence for it.

thermalactivity
23-10-09, 01:38 PM
i have an 8 track for sale if yours is broken. comes with the hits of mary, mungo and midge. i only want 10 schillings and sixpence for it.

i also have an 8 track cartridge player in perfect condition in my mothers loft - cartridges include; dr. hook, billy connolly banana boots live, elo and a few more!!!

joemailey
23-10-09, 02:19 PM
you can do and see everything that the ipod does with a memory stick when connected to the cars usb........mitch its a NO brainer!!! unless of course your one of these flash harry type people who like to show off to the world that you have an apple product HIDDEN away in your armrest :D :D :D

I use an iPhone, So I take my music with me etc etc. So constantly update n change play lists.
I know lot of people who use there iPods for running etc etc. So having to update 2 devices becomes annoying :(

On a side not I'm glad I never went for this system. I just use my Parrot mki 9100 kit to play all my music. :

Powerod
23-10-09, 06:39 PM

Yes you can select another song on the flash drive by turning the Eight-way switch to the left or right while a song is playing then scroll up/down to the song you want to play, thsi will list all songs you have downloaded or if you what to listen to a different folder / album just press the Eight-way switch in then select folders then choose what albums you want to play.

The flash drive I purchased is so compact there is no risk of it getting damaged. Click on this link.
http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/usb-flash-drives/integral-8gb-mini-usb-flash-drive-infd8gbminigp/12360

Hope the info above answers your question

chris66
25-10-09, 11:09 PM
i also have an 8 track cartridge player in perfect condition in my mothers loft - cartridges include; dr. hook, billy connolly banana boots live, elo and a few more!!!

Quality! will be funny forever:D

Vectra-Arctic
26-10-09, 04:11 PM

Wrong era, wrong car Chris. Doh ! (-

mitch1408
07-11-09, 10:21 AM
your better off going down the usb memory stick route mitch as you can only play 999 songs anyway...so for the sake of 8quid you can then leave it plugged in the car all the time ;)

The Mrs bought me an ipod this week and it works!! (- Filled it with nearly 3000 songs and so far, its shown the correct track title everytime! Can get rid of the CDs now and find something else for the little glovebox!!

thermalactivity
07-11-09, 10:37 AM
Filled it with nearly 3000 songs and so far, its shown the correct track title everytime!

hmmmm i might fill my 8gb memory stick now and see if it doesnt throw a wobbler as i thought that 999 songs was the most before it started playing up?

afisher
07-11-09, 01:00 PM
The USB sticks work but only list the first 1000 songs. I got some 4GB sticks as they hold just over 1000

Vectra-Arctic
07-11-09, 02:51 PM
The USB sticks work but only list the first 1000 songs. I got some 4GB sticks as they hold just over 1000

Crikey, isn't 1000 tracks enough ?. I can only get 80 mins of playing time on my Car Minidisc systems, but at CD Quality (almost). :D

Also, just have a standard VX CDR500 CD/Radio player in the Astra Mk3 so that's limited to 80 mins max. :)

Powerod
07-11-09, 03:22 PM
Has anyone noticed the sound volume using a USB flash drive is lower than that of the radio or CD ?
Obviously the quality is not going to be as good as a CD but can bear with that as you don't lose space with CD cases no more which is good

mitch1408
07-11-09, 04:10 PM
I thought 999 tracks was the max too! Thats why i put more than that on it!

Ive noticed a difference in volume between AM and FM, compared to DAB and CD. Not just me then! Happy with no more CDs though!!

afisher
07-11-09, 04:20 PM
Crikey, isn't 1000 tracks enough ?. I can only get 80 mins of playing time on my Car Minidisc systems, but at CD Quality (almost). :D

Also, just have a standard VX CDR500 CD/Radio player in the Astra Mk3 so that's limited to 80 mins max. :)

Have 4000 tracks which I managed to cut down to just under 3000 for my 3 memory sticks. I don't like to listen to the same music over and over.

afisher
07-11-09, 04:23 PM
Tried with my iPhone connected today but the stereo just said it was reading it but then wouldn't let me switch to it, just kept switching back to the radio.

rosco
07-11-09, 06:13 PM
i use my iphone fine, i find i have to go into the actual ipod app sorta thing then it will work.

afisher
16-11-09, 10:19 PM
i use my iphone fine, i find i have to go into the actual ipod app sorta thing then it will work.

Tried with and without the app. It works fine if I only use the AUX in but as soon as I use the USB connection it just says it's reading it then goes back to the radio. I only want to use it when I am charging the phone, I use USB sticks the rest of the time

cerbera147
19-11-09, 10:03 AM
Has anyone noticed the sound volume using a USB flash drive is lower than that of the radio or CD ?

Agreed. When I am listening to my iPod or USB Drive I have to increase the volume considerably. This is no big problem but if a Traffic Announcement comes through it nearly blows my head off! :eek:

simonrh
18-12-09, 01:13 PM
Don't know if there has been a software upgrade recently but I plugged my ipod into my newly delivered DVD800 last night and the system recognises and seems to play all 2700 tracks on my ipod touch. Rather than the first 999 suggested?

I was anticipating having to convert all my AAC ipod tunes into MP3 but it all looks to be working OK. I will have a look and check it will definitely play them all but the display comes up with (say) - track 8/2689 when playing and if yuo click Search > all track it says in brackets (2689). I presume that measn they are recognised and ready to go?

mitch1408
18-12-09, 09:16 PM
Mine does the same mate, think there has been some sort of update which I'm quite happy with!

Rockh
18-12-09, 11:02 PM
Don't know if there has been a software upgrade recently but I plugged my ipod into my newly delivered DVD800 last night and the system recognises and seems to play all 2700 tracks on my ipod touch. Rather than the first 999 suggested?

I was anticipating having to convert all my AAC ipod tunes into MP3 but it all looks to be working OK. I will have a look and check it will definitely play them all but the display comes up with (say) - track 8/2689 when playing and if yuo click Search > all track it says in brackets (2689). I presume that measn they are recognised and ready to go?

999 only applies to USB sticks, the radio is designed to interface with the ipod so would assume that it would work correctly.

You can have more than 999 files on a USB stick but if you have multiple folders the file structure gets stuffed up. So if you have a single folder with all the tracks in it would probably work.

Fabos
20-12-09, 10:04 AM
I think there is an option in itunes to convert albums into one track, so in theory you could fit 999 albums onto your usb stick! This would work better on mixed dance music albums though.

SimonIG10
03-01-10, 10:39 AM
Just converted from mem stick to Ipod nano. Much more reliable and no skipping/jumping on tracks. Infact the mem stick would go into complete meltdown and needed repluggling. Ipod is well hidden in little centre storage box so not obvious. Menu is better with Ipod attached as can search on more things, not just list the albums.

joemailey
03-01-10, 02:28 PM
Just converted from mem stick to Ipod nano. Much more reliable and no skipping/jumping on tracks. Infact the mem stick would go into complete meltdown and needed repluggling. Ipod is well hidden in little centre storage box so not obvious. Menu is better with Ipod attached as can search on more things, not just list the albums.

You'd probably find the mem stick you used for your music was rubbish just. Good for storing files yes, but most likely not the most reliable thing to constantly stream music off. Where the iPod is made for such things.

you can get lots of different mem sticks. That have different speeds for writing and reading files. If you have one that is slow, then it will have issues with being accessed constantly for a period of time.

Gorfinkle
03-01-10, 02:31 PM
Memory stick do tend to get warm when in constant use and the small circuit board does warp a little under the heat, and causes problems, when cooled down again to normal temp, they work fine

PRO-INSIGNIA
04-02-10, 07:45 PM
Help needed please!
I have just bought a 5th Gen Ipod Nano but it does not seem to work with my DVD800.

My question, not being a computer wizard, how do I transfer my music from my I-tunes to a memory stick so I can play this in my car as suggested earlier in this thread?:(

PRO-INSIGNIA
04-02-10, 08:06 PM
When you download a CD into I-tunes, is this put into MP3 format? How do I tell its MP3?:confused:

PRO-INSIGNIA
04-02-10, 08:14 PM
Just copied and pasted like you suggested.
When I look what its saved as on stick it says Mpeg 4.
Is this ok?

PRO-INSIGNIA
04-02-10, 08:29 PM
used I-Tunes to burn/rip

PRO-INSIGNIA
04-02-10, 09:10 PM
cheers Mitch,
Just found that if I RIP using windows media player I can put it into MP3 format. Learnt alot tonight. Caught up with the modern way to play music!!!:D

simonrh
05-02-10, 08:50 AM
..but if you bought them from itunes store or ripped them from a CD in through itunes on standard settings they are all in an apple format called AAC I think that won't read off a memory stick as far as I can tell from the vauxhall manual. You would have to convert them to one of the file formats that is recognised by the DVD800

snarf
05-02-10, 09:09 AM
Itunes gives you many options on what format you wish to burn, right click said album or track select burn play list to, give it a couple of seconds then this box will appear

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/snarff74/it.jpg

now you choose what format to burn with.:)

chris66
05-02-10, 09:22 AM
..but if you bought them from itunes store or ripped them from a CD in through itunes on standard settings they are all in an apple format called AAC I think that won't read off a memory stick as far as I can tell from the vauxhall manual. You would have to convert them to one of the file formats that is recognised by the DVD800

You can still put anything you have on ITunes onto the media player too. I burn off ITunes but for making up music DVD's, i copy and paste the files. 1 disc, 70 hours of music. Superb!

SimonIG10
06-02-10, 07:10 AM
I think everyone here has given you valid answers already. When I used a memory stick in my Insignia I used Windows Media Player to drop the songs onto the stick. If you have downloaded tracks from the web, Media player will see them and you just drop them/sync over. If you have them on CD, just rip them using media player and again drop them over. Seems odd that your IPOD doesnt work though. I have had problems with memory sticks with tracks jumping, skipping etc. No probs with the Ipod nano but suspect mine is an early version that is at least a couple of years old. My son has recently got an Ipod touch so will see if that works.

mitch1408
06-02-10, 08:03 AM
My Ipod Touch's dont work, tried 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen. In the end I bought a 4th Gen nano which works a treat. Bit flash having an ipod just for the car though! ;-)

SimonIG10
06-02-10, 11:56 AM
Hi
This is what I know works:

Ipod Touch 5th Gen (latest one) software version 3.1.2(7D11)

Ipod Nano 2nd Gen Software 1.1.3

Might be worth collating all the models people are using that definately work in the Insignia.

simonrh
09-02-10, 08:03 AM
Mitch saw your comment about Ipod touch.
I have a first gen Ipod touch 32gb that has got version 2.2.1 software on it (so not the latest cut that has "shake-to-shuffle and genius mixes" or something.
That just plugs in and works fine.
Do you think there could have been a firmware update in the head unit with better compatibility in the current cars? What MY is your Insignia?

mitch1408
09-02-10, 08:57 AM
ive got the latest software on the ipod (whatever it is) and the car is my2010. Also, ref the post above, ipod touch 5th gen doesnt exist yet! 3rd gen is the newest one, only been out about 6 months.

simonrh
09-02-10, 10:01 AM
Seems a bit flaky then - Support for touch?. (mien is current model year too)

Mine's definitely first gen touch according to apple website (rectangular black bit on back).

It occasional bugg3rs up though and doesn't get recognised and jumps back to radio but ignition off and on again with ipod unplugged seems to cure. Bit tricky in fast lane on M6 but there you go!

bud1970
09-02-10, 10:20 AM
could be down to firmware issues in th hu/ipod. update every thing then try again. as for the ripping and burning i use nero. best there is imho.......

SimonIG10
09-02-10, 01:00 PM
Well spotted...yep, 3rd gen touch (roundy black bit on back purchased Nov 2009) Mine is a June 2009 car.

brummie
10-02-10, 09:58 AM
I have an iPhone (OS 3.1.2) which I use against DVD800 (2010), the USB connection does work for me.

On connecting the USB cable to the iPhone I get the message “Checking iPod” and it does sometimes revert back to the radio you simply need to disconnect then reconnect the USB cable a few times.

AidenL
28-03-10, 11:28 AM
Can anyone conform if the track names are displayed on teh dash when using the iPhone or iPod through the USB connection?

Do you need a special lead form the dealer, or will the normal iPod to USB lead work for charging?

Powerod
28-03-10, 12:40 PM
I have the iPhone 3GS and it displays all the track titles on the screen.

AidenL
28-03-10, 02:03 PM
I have the iPhone 3GS and it displays all the track titles on the screen.

Thanks, thats great to know :)

SimonIG10
28-03-10, 05:09 PM
Standard Ipod works fine using the normal computer USB lead plugged into the car. Tracks names and artists display and you can search using artist, album etc