PDA

View Full Version : Right reversing light is not working! :(

joemailey
26-10-09, 05:43 PM
Today I have discovered my right hand side Reversing light isn't working.

The left light works fine. But the right hand side doesn't.
Is this something I should be fixing myself?
are because the car is about 8months old is it something VX should be looking at?

stupot89
26-10-09, 05:45 PM
Today I have discovered my right hand side Reversing light isn't working.

The left light works fine. But the right hand side doesn't.
Is this something I should be fixing myself?
are because the car is about 8months old is it something VX should be looking at?

try changing the bulb!!!!

mitch1408
26-10-09, 05:50 PM
Mine only has one reverse light......On the left handside! There isnt one on the right!!! :eek:

mitch1408
26-10-09, 05:52 PM
Mine only has one reverse light......On the left handside! There isnt one on the right!!! :eek:

Think the same light on the right hand side is the rear fog lamp

joemailey
26-10-09, 05:58 PM

Think the same light on the right hand side is the rear fog lamp

Only has one reversing light , Wonder if it is meant to only have one?

carpetmonster
26-10-09, 05:59 PM
mine only has one too, on the left hand side! easy way to check, just setup the exterior ambiant lighting and unlock it in the dark, looks like a sodding xmas tree!

mitch1408
26-10-09, 06:00 PM
Only has one reversing light , Wonder if it is meant to only have one?

I hope so LOL (-

Dunno if will make a difference but mine is the Hatch.

joemailey
26-10-09, 06:03 PM
Yep, there only is one reversing light.

I assumed all cars had two? I thought you had to have two? Guess not.

mitch1408
26-10-09, 06:07 PM
Yep, there only is one reversing light.

I assumed all cars had two? I thought you had to have two? Guess not.

Na, lots only have one. The one I hate the most is the focus as its only about 6 inches off the ground! My astra had two and surprised that a car of this size only has one reverse and one fog but if its legal im happy enough!

cameron66
27-10-09, 12:24 PM
Dont think it really matters a lot, I suppose one could say it may look better having a matched pair either side, but other than that no big deal.

Many cars only have the one rear offside foglamp too I notice these days.
BM's have 2 reversing lamps, unsure about the rear foglamps.

Though most modern cars have the capability of switching in an adjacent bulb if one of your rear lights fail, I do like to see more than one bulb or array of leds either side of the rear, at least you know if one blows, its assuring to know you still have rear lighting either side.

On the subject of foglamps, obviously we all know they are illegal to use unless its foggy. Is it also illegal to use the front white fogs only if its not foggy ?, I think I've read somewhere that you cannot use them either unless its foggy, anyone know for definate what the law is on that? I dont think I've ever used mine at all, but often see cars with all the fronts on.... looks quite cool...lol but is it legal.

chris66
27-10-09, 12:46 PM
Dont think it really matters a lot, I suppose one could say it may look better having a matched pair either side, but other than that no big deal.

Many cars only have the one rear offside foglamp too I notice these days.
BM's have 2 reversing lamps, unsure about the rear foglamps.

Though most modern cars have the capability of switching in an adjacent bulb if one of your rear lights fail, I do like to see more than one bulb or array of leds either side of the rear, at least you know if one blows, its assuring to know you still have rear lighting either side.

On the subject of foglamps, obviously we all know they are illegal to use unless its foggy. Is it also illegal to use the front white fogs only if its not foggy ?, I think I've read somewhere that you cannot use them either unless its foggy, anyone know for definate what the law is on that? I dont think I've ever used mine at all, but often see cars with all the fronts on.... looks quite cool...lol but is it legal.

Here you go mate. Personally this is one of those things that get right up my nose when driving. people put there foglights on in dry and wet conditions and make it ten times worse for the car coming toward them. Should be strung up! think there's a 60 quid spot fine for this.

"The legislation states they are only to be used in conditions where visibility is serious impaired ? generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet).

The law states that front auxilliary lights may only be used in conditions of bad visibility. This is typically taken as fog, heavy rain or falling snow.
The Highway Code entry on this point is backed up by law.
That's what got you nicked.

Highway Code Rule 236
"You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves."
[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

The standard front headlights and sidelights of a car, van or lorry have to conform to strict specifications regarding their position. Fog and spot lights are usually outside of that specification, even when fitted by the manufacturer. Therefore they cannot be used unless the headlights are also on. Even then they must be aligned so as not to cause dazzle, and you must have noticed how many people drive around with mis-aligned lights.

It's a case of conformance to the Road Vehicle Construction and Use Regulations so there isn't any "wriggle room"

cameron66
27-10-09, 02:25 PM
Thanks for confirming what I already suspected, but seeing so many ignoring the law especially by using the front one's in clear weather was making me wonder if I was right about them being illegally used.

Fully agree with you about idiots using them when its not even foggy, they serve little useful purpose other than to glare other drivers, and removes any benefit one might gain from cars brake lights from vehicles ahead of you as its hard to see them when they have rear fogs switched on.

TBH these days with much brighter rear lights on cars than you may have found many years ago, unless its really heavy thick fog, I never switch mine on at all. Even in fog I dont believe its necessary most of the time. It would have to be really bad fog for me to switch them on especially the rears. Its been years since I've felt it warranted using them.

Some stupid drivers just seem to leave them switched on all the time whenever they go on motorways probably in the mis-guided belief they are less likely to be hit from the rear...lol

chris66
27-10-09, 02:41 PM
Thanks for confirming what I already suspected, but seeing so many ignoring the law especially by using the front one's in clear weather was making me wonder if I was right about them being illegally used.

Fully agree with you about idiots using them when its not even foggy, they serve little useful purpose other than to glare other drivers, and removes any benefit one might gain from cars brake lights from vehicles ahead of you as its hard to see them when they have rear fogs switched on.

TBH these days with much brighter rear lights on cars than you may have found many years ago, unless its really heavy thick fog, I never switch mine on at all. Even in fog I dont believe its necessary most of the time. It would have to be really bad fog for me to switch them on especially the rears. Its been years since I've felt it warranted using them.

Some stupid drivers just seem to leave them switched on all the time whenever they go on motorways probably in the mis-guided belief they are less likely to be hit from the rear...lol

thing is Cameron, most of the cars now automatically reset the fog switch to off when you turn the lights off so can't use the excuse, i forgot. you have to press the switch every time you want them on so these tw@ts know what they are doing.it might look cool when your taking pics of your car but they need to spare a thought for the other people on the road. If i get one coming at me, i give them a flash of the fogs, if this doesn't work they get fogs and main beam. i drive a Shogun so the're just at the right height to reap revenge. Well, why should i suffer because some idiot thinks they look cool. Sorry, rant over:o

Rockh
27-10-09, 02:55 PM
The only time I consider using my front fogs other than when necessary is when it's silly o'clock in the morning and I'm doing my version of a rally stage out in the sticks on my way to or from a callout. Just adds a little extra low level lighting so I can see what I'm running over.
Not needed quite so much these days with AFL.

afisher
02-11-09, 11:56 AM
Back to the reversing light.
I had cause to use this yesterday on a country road with no other lighting and the one light was absolutely useless, I couldn't see a single thing. I had to reverse approx 10 meters using blind faith hoping that I didn't end up in the gutter.

In the 16 years I have been driving I have never had a car with such useless reverse lighting. They have obviously spent all their time lighting up the front and side with the AFL and forgot about the people that actually have to reverse.
I'm sure if anyone had come up behind me they would have seen my lights ok, but absolutely no use for me.

This is a major flaw in this car.

afisher
02-11-09, 04:21 PM
Turns out the extra reverse lights in the boot of the Sport Tourer are actually much better.
Might just open the boot to reverse next time.

joemailey
03-11-09, 04:00 PM
Back to the reversing light.
I had cause to use this yesterday on a country road with no other lighting and the one light was absolutely useless, I couldn't see a single thing. I had to reverse approx 10 meters using blind faith hoping that I didn't end up in the gutter.

In the 16 years I have been driving I have never had a car with such useless reverse lighting. They have obviously spent all their time lighting up the front and side with the AFL and forgot about the people that actually have to reverse.
I'm sure if anyone had come up behind me they would have seen my lights ok, but absolutely no use for me.

This is a major flaw in this car.

I agree the reversing light isn't that good, Maybe they forgot about the drivers and just focus on the on coming traffic. Bit dumb if you ask me.

PRO-INSIGNIA
01-01-10, 07:02 PM
Has anyone tried fitting a more powerfull reverse light bulb to improve rear vision?:confused:

joemailey
02-01-10, 09:26 AM
Not yet, But since I got new radio. That accepts a rear camera. I might get one installed :)