Vauxhall Owners Club for all Vauxhall models (including Opel)  

Go Back   Vauxhall Owners Club for all Vauxhall models (including Opel) > Vauxhall Opel Drivers Clubs > Corsa Drivers Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar CONTACT US Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
FORUM INDEX HOMEPAGE VODC MEMBERSHIP DETAILS CLUB MEMBER EVENTS GENERAL EVENTS LINKS GALLERY DOWNLOADS
TECHNICAL CLUB MEMBERS AREA VODC MARKET PLACE VAUXHALL OPEL DRIVERS CLUBS ARCHIVE SECTION RULES AND REGULATIONS PLUS HELP

Old 16-10-13, 06:11 PM

DanCartwright82 Bronze
vauxhall combo 1.7di p0216 4

Hi i have a vauxhall combo 1.7di 54 plate, i think its the same as in the corsas.
i have a fault code of p0216 4 it struggles to start, lack of power and sounds like its pinking, we have had the edu tested all fine, iv hooked live data and pump runs at half engine speed, its been like the for over two years (just brought it of my brother) so we no the pump is ok mechanically, ive been told it could be the ecu on top of the engine or pump timing solenoid, how do i find out which it is before i spend too much money, or can anyone help if its something different thanks dan
Old 17-10-13, 12:08 PM
Club Member

Matt O-SRi Bronze
Re: vauxhall combo 1.7di p0216 4

Just googled it mate. This is how I find out info on any fault code etc. The below extract is what the net said. Hope it helps buddy.

Injector/Injection Timing Control Circuit

What does this mean?
OBD Code P0216refers to
Basically this means the diesel fuel injection pump has a timing failure. This could be that the injection pump timing needs adjusted OR the failure is internal to the injection pump and therefore non-adjustable. NOTE: If your vehicle is a Dodge Ram with Cummins engine then be aware that fuel delivery problems frequently cause this code. Prolonged fuel delivery problems can cause injection pump failure!

Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0216
Symptoms of a P0216 DTC may include: P0216 DTC Low power Crank, but no start Hard start Displays an intermittent stumble or miss Engine may start and then stall Engine may appear to drive fine but surge at idle

Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0216
The most frequent cause of this code is a bad injection pump due to poor fuel delivery. Fuel delivery problems could be: A plugged diesel fuel filter An in-tank blockage Air in the fuel due to a cracked in-tank fuel ine above the fuel level Bad transfer (lift) pump Injection pump out of time

Possible Solutions
First, simply check if your injection pump timing is adjustable. If so, check the timing and adjust if necessary. If you think that you may have a fuel delivery problem, then check the lift pump operation. On Dodge Ram with the Cummins engine, the lift pump should produce about 45 oz of diesel in 25 seconds of operation. This can be performed by disconnecting the fuel hose from the injection pump and pumping the fuel into an approved container. Bump the engine over but do not start it. Then the lift pump will operate for 25 seconds. If the fuel is aerated, then check/repair fuel line and recheck. With the fuel hose connected the fuel pressure should be 10psi. If the fuel delivery tests fail, replace the diesel fuel filter and recheck. If it still fails then verify there are no restrictions in the fuel tank Then replace the lift (transfer) pump. IT SHOULD BE NOTED that if this code surfaced after a routine fuel filter replacement or if you have any of the above symptoms after routine fuel filter replacement, then suspect the fuel transfer pump. This occurs because even a weak transfer pump can still provide enough fuel for the engine to run. But when the fuel system\'s prime is lost due to fuel filter replacement, it may not restart again without fixing the fuel delivery problem. If you found your injection pump to be bad, the lift pump should be checked for operation to protect the new injection pump. This is because weak or low output from lift pump are common cause of injection pump failure. There are some aftermarket kits that can be purchased to warn the operator when the fuel pressure/volume drops to level that could damage the injection pump.
Old 17-10-13, 07:45 PM

DanCartwright82 Bronze

sorted now thanks, for some reason the multi plug was not connected to the timing control solenoid on the fuel pump, i only noticed it when i took the edu mounting bracket of looks like someone has been messing around in the past with the pump thanks anyway for your help
Old 20-10-13, 09:15 PM
2 x Cavalier

Vauxhallnutter Mark Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCartwright82 View Post
sorted now thanks, for some reason the multi plug was not connected to the timing control solenoid on the fuel pump, i only noticed it when i took the edu mounting bracket of looks like someone has been messing around in the past with the pump thanks anyway for your help
Good to hear that your sorted Dan, makes you wonder how it ran at all!