Register FAQ Members List Calendar CONTACT US Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
FORUM INDEX HOMEPAGE VODC MEMBERSHIP DETAILS EVENTS AND MEETS LINKS GALLERY DOWNLOADS
TECHNICAL CLUB MEMBERS AREA VODC MARKET PLACE VAUXHALL OPEL DRIVERS CLUBS ARCHIVE SECTION VODC WEBSITE RULES AND HELP

Old 17-02-16, 08:25 PM
Mk1 Cavalier 1.6GL

Bought this in June 2015 - registered January 4th 1977 and done 48k miles.

Old 17-02-16, 08:26 PM
Re: Mk1 Cavalier 1.6GL

More pics

Unused spare with factory stamp^^

More to come......
Old 17-02-16, 08:34 PM

Engine, gearbox, clutch etc. seemed fine. Drove really nicely - hopefully just a good clean and some paint required in here -

Apologies for the poor pic - it was pretty dark in there!

The guy who bought it new sadly died a couple of years ago, and the car hadn't been used since 2006. His Grandson re-commissioned it in September 2014, got it MOT'd, and then sold it to the bloke I bought it from in early 2015. When the new owner lost his storage, it was up for sale again (he said it was criminal to leave it outside) This is where I stepped in.
Old 17-02-16, 08:36 PM

Insurance only cost 100 sheets, not had such a low premium for 15 years! When I got out of the Cavalier and into one of my Polos, it felt like I'd forgotten how to drive at first - very different cars!

Old 17-02-16, 08:38 PM

Had a good look underneath - rear inner sill ends have lost their underseal and corroded, they're still very solid though, so I was hoping a good clean up and re-seal should be fine.

Old 17-02-16, 08:39 PM

The bottoms of the rear quarters were sound, just a bit of surface rust here and there.

Old 17-02-16, 08:41 PM

Bit of an oil leak from the gearbox output seal! Floor pans and chassis rails were sound too. There's a couple of spots where the underseal has been damaged, and its a little rusty, but generally it's pretty fine under there.

Old 17-02-16, 08:46 PM

It was missing its nosecone trim, wheel trims, and some paint.

It had microblistering over most of the top half of the body - probably due to being stored under rugs, so it was always going to need some paint based love.
Old 17-02-16, 08:52 PM

It had a couple of dents on the passenger side.

It photographs reasonably well, but the paint is comprehensively ruined.

You gotta love the old bloke touch ups with a 2inch brush!

Old 17-02-16, 08:56 PM

The hunt for parts went well - first up, a new old stock drivers door!

It's dirty, but not rusty - there are a couple of small dents though. It has been hanging around for a long time!

An unused nosecone trim piece, it is distorted a little from storage, but we have the technology!

Proper wheel trim rings, used but pretty straight, will be rechromed at some point.

Drivers side headlight, to replace the rusty one it came with.

Actual hard work still to do!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode